gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681489 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 07:51:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson playing with "the best band I ever worked with."  (Read 13829 times)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2015, 02:19:09 PM »

Bruce's interviews continue to astound me! I've read in the past, and now he states again that "I called 10 people; they weren't available" to replace Glen Campbell. Did you ever really think about that. Ten people turned down an offer to join The Beach Boys, albeit just the touring band! What was their excuse? WHAT POSSIBLE EXCUSE COULD'VE THEY HAD? They had an appointment to get a root canal, they wanted to keep their commitment to their current band (whoever that was), The Beach Boys weren't big enough, they wouldn't make enough money? I mean, I'm assuming that Bruce was calling people who he thought were qualified musically. You would think that out of 10 people, a couple would jump at that opportunity. Another perplexing thing surrounding Bruce...

Oh yeah...I'll beat you to it. Maybe they didn't want to be a band with Mike Love. Save your insults for the next 37 threads.

Hey, man, for once I think you're on to something! Perfectly salient theory that makes so much sense.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2015, 02:27:01 PM »

It seems to me that the reason some are unwilling to believe Brian means such comments is because they don't want them to be true.

I've been a BB fan/researcher/historian/eminence grise/overall smartass for over 40 years now, and one of the constant non-musical joys is Brian's consistent inconsistency. Wait long enough and he'll say exactly the opposite, and that's not in any way a criticism: it's just Brian being Brian, either coping with a tedious interview or having a giggle. That's all.

I think that inconsistent praising and spreading his "favorites" out amongst different people/bandmates/songs/albums, etc from one interview to the next is ultimately partly out of Brian trying to please everybody by spreading the love/praise. I think that's ingrained in his nature.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:34:11 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2015, 02:31:23 PM »

If Brian gives an interview where he says something like “I love Mike, we grew up together. He’s going through some decades of having some ego issues, which has been painful for me to witness”, and starts mentioning over and over in countless interviews the “Smile” lawsuit that got laughed out of court in Brian’s favor, then maybe we can start equating what these guys say.  

Exactly. Have any BB bandmembers publicly ever talked/complained/referenced Mike's ego issues? The closest I could think of is Denny passive-aggressively stating that the band was just Brian's messengers (if indeed that was a partial attempt to put Mike in his "place", as I think it may have partly been), but as far as any direct statement of such, I don't think there's ever been one. Mike must think that behavioral patterns of people are only to be pointed out if he can directly link those behaviors to substances (or in the rare exception case of sober Al, a "bad attitude").  

With the exception of Mike, I think BB bandmates have respect enough to not keep harping about another bandmember's behavioral issues (however destructive they may be) in public, out of common decency, even though you can be certain that all BB members (maybe not Bruce, who at least on the surface seems to just accept and not ever be put off by Mike whatsoever) have more than likely had many private conversations about Mike's ego issues with friends/loved ones, complete with many eye rolls.

I think anyone would be *crazy* to doubt that.

I really don't think they don't repeatedly speak about Mike's ego issues out of somehow not thinking he has ego issues (as perhaps some Kokomoists would like to pretend is the case). For Al, Brian, Carl, etc doing that would only come off as being divisive within one's own band (or one's own former band). Mike should take that lead, too. Nobody is going to not take drugs because Mike over and over again points out that Brian did lots of drugs, especially because Brian himself is a living survivor who openly talks with regret, in effect warning others about drugs himself.  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 05:27:10 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2015, 02:37:19 PM »

It seems to me that the reason some are unwilling to believe Brian means such comments is because they don't want them to be true. 

I've been a BB fan/researcher/historian/eminence grise/overall smartass for over 40 years now, and one of the constant non-musical joys is Brian's consistent inconsistency. Wait long enough and he'll say exactly the opposite, and that's not in any way a criticism: it's just Brian being Brian, either coping with a tedious interview or having a giggle. That's all.

I think that inconsistent praising and spreading his "favorites" out amongst different people/bandmates/songs/albums, etc from one interview to the next is ultimately partly out of Brian trying to please everybody. I think that's ingrained in his nature.

I wish Brian would first try to please the interviewer. I feel sorry for some of these interviewers. Brian not only DOESN'T give thoughtful answers, sometimes he doesn't answer the question at all.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2015, 02:54:05 PM »

You really don't like BW at all....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2015, 04:31:25 PM »

"...Brian's consistent inconsistency." Just an acute case of him being far more clever than anyone here can ever hope to be. I absolute admire his amazing ability to keep everyone guessing, which when translated means no one, not you or anyone else here is capable of knowing what is really going on. Just like back in the day when he had it all goin' on in his head before most of it made it to the record. 

Except Brian now always says he didn't.  He had an idea of the melody and chords but not how it would all sound.  He also mentions this in a scene in Love and Mercy when, I think, Melinda asks him.  Maybe anoher inconsistency, or modesty.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2015, 04:44:03 PM »

Bruce's interviews continue to astound me! I've read in the past, and now he states again that "I called 10 people; they weren't available" to replace Glen Campbell. Did you ever really think about that. Ten people turned down an offer to join The Beach Boys, albeit just the touring band! What was their excuse? WHAT POSSIBLE EXCUSE COULD'VE THEY HAD? They had an appointment to get a root canal, they wanted to keep their commitment to their current band (whoever that was), The Beach Boys weren't big enough, they wouldn't make enough money? I mean, I'm assuming that Bruce was calling people who he thought were qualified musically. You would think that out of 10 people, a couple would jump at that opportunity. Another perplexing thing surrounding Bruce...

Oh yeah...I'll beat you to it. Maybe they didn't want to be a band with Mike Love. Save your insults for the next 37 threads.

I'm pretty sure it went down like this:

The Beach Boys: Hey Bruce, do you know anyone who could fill in for Brian?

Bruce: Uh..okay, I'll ask around.

Later that night....

Bruce: (to himself) What the hell? Do I "know anyone"Huh? Why not me? Geez, I'm doing Beach Boys knock-off records. They know I can sing. What the hell?

(stares at phone for an hour....goes to sleep)

The next day....

The Beach Boys: Hey Bruce, did you find anyone to join our super successful rock group?

Bruce: Yeah..(ahem)..y'know what? I called...er..um...10 people. Yeah, that's it. 10 people and couldn't find anyone who wanted to get on the fast track to make millions. So..(chuckles)..what about using me instead?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2015, 05:15:34 PM »

I think that inconsistent praising and spreading his "favorites" out amongst different people/bandmates/songs/albums, etc from one interview to the next is ultimately partly out of Brian trying to please everybody. I think that's ingrained in his nature.

I wish Brian would first try to please the interviewer. I feel sorry for some of these interviewers. Brian not only DOESN'T give thoughtful answers, sometimes he doesn't answer the question at all.

It depends on his comfort level with the interviewer, it seems. I've seen plenty a time where he hasn't gotten a good vibe, and has completely blown the guy out the water.  There's one interview where the guy is asking some of the most inane questions ever, and Brian's acting like he's deaf.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2015, 05:23:43 PM »

I'm pretty sure it went down like this:

The Beach Boys: Hey Bruce, do you know anyone who could fill in for Brian?

Bruce: Uh..okay, I'll ask around.

Later that night....

Bruce: (to himself) What the hell? Do I "know anyone"Huh? Why not me? Geez, I'm doing Beach Boys knock-off records. They know I can sing. What the hell?

(stares at phone for an hour....goes to sleep)

The next day....

The Beach Boys: Hey Bruce, did you find anyone to join our super successful rock group?

Bruce: Yeah..(ahem)..y'know what? I called...er..um...10 people. Yeah, that's it. 10 people and couldn't find anyone who wanted to get on the fast track to make millions. So..(chuckles)..what about using me instead?

Cheesy
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2015, 05:40:57 PM »

Knowing how myKe luHv squeaks when it comes to money, br00th is still on "probation" and waiting for his first raise. C'mon man, he's the best hand clapper and myKe stand adjuster in the business.  Cheesy

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2015, 05:55:21 PM »

It depends on his comfort level with the interviewer, it seems. I've seen plenty a time where he hasn't gotten a good vibe, and has completely blown the guy out the water.  There's one interview where the guy is asking some of the most inane questions ever, and Brian's acting like he's deaf.

I think, Billy, it depends on how you feel about interviewers. Some people might think that some interviewers actually deserve to be blown off or dismissed, based on the (perceived) quality of their questions. I understand that point of view, I really do. However, other people might feel that, hey, you agreed to do the interview - for YOUR benefit - so be nice, be patient if necessary, and try to make the best of it. There are many less painful things in life to endure.

I don't care if people think I am singling Brian Wilson out, but he is rude to many of these interviewers. First, he does not think before he answers. The question is barely out of the interviewer's mouth and he is starting his answer. It is obvious he is not being thoughtful because he has not taken the time to actually THINK about the question. One word answers. One sentence answers. Answers that have nothing to do with the question. Answers that are coached and rehearsed. To me anyway, that is disrespectful.

But, hey, that's Brian, right? So it's OK. He doesn't have to answer the questions. He's Brian Wilson. Just be lucky you were granted the interview in the first place. Just be thankful he granted you the time. Or, well, Brian has problems, so that's tough; that's the way it/he is; take it or leave it. I often wonder what these interviewers are really thinking. I wonder if they're walking away or hanging up thinking, "What the hell was that?"

The Beach Boys aren't the only group that I have followed, and I have read/heard numerous interviews where the interviewer might not have been the greatest, but the artist showed a little patience, respect, and understanding and made the best out it, sometimes actually going out of their way to make the interviewer comfortable and the content meaningful. Frankly, I haven't seen many recent (the past 20 years!) interviews with Brian where the interviewer - or I - was blown away. What I would like to see is Brian show a little love and mercy toward these interviewers who are probably shaking in their boots in the first place. Take the time to LISTEN to their questions and give thoughtful responses, not canned, rehearsed sentences.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2015, 06:15:55 PM »

I think, Billy, it depends on how you feel about interviewers. Some people might think that some interviewers actually deserve to be blown off or dismissed, based on the (perceived) quality of their questions. I understand that point of view, I really do. However, other people might feel that, hey, you agreed to do the interview - for YOUR benefit - so be nice, be patient if necessary, and try to make the best of it. There are many less painful things in life to endure.

I don't care if people think I am singling Brian Wilson out, but he is rude to many of these interviewers. First, he does not think before he answers. The question is barely out of the interviewer's mouth and he is starting his answer. It is obvious he is not being thoughtful because he has not taken the time to actually THINK about the question. One word answers. One sentence answers. Answers that have nothing to do with the question. Answers that are coached and rehearsed. To me anyway, that is disrespectful.

But, hey, that's Brian, right? So it's OK. He doesn't have to answer the questions. He's Brian Wilson. Just be lucky you were granted the interview in the first place. Just be thankful he granted you the time. Or, well, Brian has problems, so that's tough; that's the way it/he is; take it or leave it. I often wonder what these interviewers are really thinking. I wonder if they're walking away or hanging up thinking, "What the hell was that?"

The Beach Boys aren't the only group that I have followed, and I have read/heard numerous interviews where the interviewer might not have been the greatest, but the artist showed a little patience, respect, and understanding and made the best out it, sometimes actually going out of their way to make the interviewer comfortable and the content meaningful. Frankly, I haven't seen many recent (the past 20 years!) interviews with Brian where the interviewer - or I - was blown away. What I would like to see is Brian show a little love and mercy toward these interviewers who are probably shaking in their boots in the first place. Take the time to LISTEN to their questions and give thoughtful responses, not canned, rehearsed sentences.

I agree with this even though I know we'll both take a beating for it.  In regards to what the interviewers are thinking, I think it's probably the reaction one guy had in a recent radio interview with Brian when you could tell the interviewer was baffled at Brian's answer that didn't answer his question at all.  After Brian's answer he said "Errr ok".  Some people here like to pass off his answers as Brian being funny, but I don't buy that line of BS at all.  In reality it makes people think there's still something wrong with Brian.  Now that's not to say Brian never gives good interviews, but I've seen way too many examples where Brian wants to end the interview as soon as possible.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2015, 07:38:06 PM »

Wait. Isn't this he same board that held claims that Brian was a brain damaged puppet of the "Wifeandmanagers"? A shell of a man incapable of making even the most basic decisions, much less giving coherent interviews? Now that same Brian is a master manipulator who is just being plain rude to the hard working press! Amazing turn around that guy has made!

In the past we had claims of Zombie-Brian, who sat stiffly at his piano, forced by his "controllers" to perform for the adoring masses. Now we have "Brian always gets a pass when he says stuff, but Mike doesn't." So, either Brian's our favorite veggie-table, or he's some brilliant Svengali who has fooled us into following him with blind devotion. Well, I have a surprising theory! Brian is a guy who has a mental health issue that impacted, and still impacts, his ability to interact in public.

Brian's not a zombie. He's not a Svengali. He's a very talented person with a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. He's a songwriter who pushed the creative envelope even as the glass structure of his psyche was starting to shatter. He's the guy no one expected to survive… but he did.  He's a performer who still hears the berating voice of his father, and the mocking tones of Phil Spector in his head any time he has to step out there and put it on the line in public.  And, in spite of that, he created a sound that defined youth, California and the 60's. In spite of that, he formed and spearheaded one of the most successful bands in history. In spite of that, he wrote all that music that brought us here. In spite of that, he still performs and gives interviews, even if the voices are trying to drown out those who would encourage him. In spite of that, in his 70's now and with a bad back,  he still goes out there and does what he was born to do. And, you know what, it's a lot more than most of us have had to overcome.

Brian Wilson doesn't need a "pass." But he does deserve a little empathy and understanding.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:39:50 PM by Cyncie » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2015, 07:48:21 PM »

Some people here like to pass off his answers as Brian being funny, but I don't buy that line of BS at all.

Sorry you think it's BS. I guess everybody who knows him is lying their ass off.  Didn't realize you know Brian the best.

Can't speak for *every* interview, but the one I mentioned was definitely one of those.  Brian's smirk at the end of it kind of gave the game away.

It depends on his comfort level with the interviewer, it seems. I've seen plenty a time where he hasn't gotten a good vibe, and has completely blown the guy out the water.  There's one interview where the guy is asking some of the most inane questions ever, and Brian's acting like he's deaf.

And sometimes he does give good, thoughtful responses.  And really, much of it isn't him being 'rude' at all.  For the most part, he's not comfortable doing interviews for reasons that anybody whose followed the band should already know, and time has only made it more so.

Oddly enough ( and lucky for us), the *reverse* seems to be happening on stage.

Edit

Cyncie put it far better than I ever could...well said.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:52:06 PM by ♩♬ Billyman ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2015, 02:51:46 AM »

Wait. Isn't this he same board that held claims that Brian was a brain damaged puppet of the "Wifeandmanagers"? A shell of a man incapable of making even the most basic decisions, much less giving coherent interviews? Now that same Brian is a master manipulator who is just being plain rude to the hard working press! Amazing turn around that guy has made!

In the past we had claims of Zombie-Brian, who sat stiffly at his piano, forced by his "controllers" to perform for the adoring masses. Now we have "Brian always gets a pass when he says stuff, but Mike doesn't." So, either Brian's our favorite veggie-table, or he's some brilliant Svengali who has fooled us into following him with blind devotion. Well, I have a surprising theory! Brian is a guy who has a mental health issue that impacted, and still impacts, his ability to interact in public.

Brian's not a zombie. He's not a Svengali. He's a very talented person with a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. He's a songwriter who pushed the creative envelope even as the glass structure of his psyche was starting to shatter. He's the guy no one expected to survive… but he did.  He's a performer who still hears the berating voice of his father, and the mocking tones of Phil Spector in his head any time he has to step out there and put it on the line in public.  And, in spite of that, he created a sound that defined youth, California and the 60's. In spite of that, he formed and spearheaded one of the most successful bands in history. In spite of that, he wrote all that music that brought us here. In spite of that, he still performs and gives interviews, even if the voices are trying to drown out those who would encourage him. In spite of that, in his 70's now and with a bad back,  he still goes out there and does what he was born to do. And, you know what, it's a lot more than most of us have had to overcome.

Brian Wilson doesn't need a "pass." But he does deserve a little empathy and understanding.

As with most things in life, the truth likely lies somewhere in mid-stream. Brian, it's been said to me by more than one close observer down the decades, is the world's laziest guy. Sees a chair, sits in it. Like me. And yes, he's been exploited and manipulated since his teens, both knowingly and unwittingly, and maybe sometimes because it suits. And he's learned from these people: this may be a wake-up call to some here but Brian can be an arch-manipulator himself, when he feels the need. Not maliciously, like a certain psychologist we can all name, but still, he can. And has. On reflection, his original intended career as a psychologist might have been an outstanding choice. If only he'd not been such a towering musical genius...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx