gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 05:45:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Royal Tenenbaums ending (Sloop John B version)  (Read 1569 times)
Black Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2015, 05:49:06 PM »

So a lot of people don't know that The Royal Tenenbaums originally ended with Sloop, and in fact there were some early screenings of this version of the film. Eventually it was replaced in favor of a vastly inferior song. Four years ago I did a mock up of the BB version, which I'm finally uploading to youtube now.  I was using fairly primitive video editing software and a fossil of a computer, so it's a bit rough. Still works great as a closing song, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u6ZN-r8eqU

There was another version that used the Beatles "I'm Looking Through You" (Anthology version). I made my own version of this one too, I'll have to try and dig it up.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 05:58:14 PM by Black Tiger » Logged

"I wanted to be part of it again, to share with it, and experience people: I wanted to experience people. And make money, of course." -Brian (is back)
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 06:14:44 PM »

So a lot of people don't know that The Royal Tenenbaums originally ended with Sloop, and in fact there were some early screenings of this version of the film. Eventually it was replaced in favor of a vastly inferior song. Four years ago I did a mock up of the BB version, which I'm finally uploading to youtube now.  I was using fairly primitive video editing software and a fossil of a computer, so it's a bit rough. Still works great as a closing song, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u6ZN-r8eqU

There was another version that used the Beatles "I'm Looking Through You" (Anthology version). I made my own version of this one too, I'll have to try and dig it up.

That doesn't surprise me. I'm pretty sure Wes Anderson is a fan of the Beach Boys, and more than just a casual one. I was just watching Fantastic Mr. Fox this morning, the Criterion Collection edition, with his commentary on, and he mentions Heroes and Villains when it plays early on in the film, and how the film has a Beach Boys motif. I was so caught up in it that I was late for work.  Smiley

P.S. By the way, I like it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 07:00:19 PM by Misterlou » Logged
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 06:19:12 PM »

I hadn't heard this before. Thanks for sharing the edit...intriguing, but I guess I'm just used to the Van Morrison "Everyone" ending. Sloop just seems a bit too cheery for a funeral scene--though I could see Wes Anderson using it and making it work.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 06:25:52 PM »

Fantastic Mr. Fox has a, well, fantastic soundtrack! I should see it again and look for that motif... Do ya think Mr. Fox represents someone from the Beach Boy world? It's been a while since I've seen the movie...

There's also the Ol Man River cover done by the boys in the soundtrack.

Sloop John B goes well with Royal's epitaph. It is a little incongruous with the funeral setting, as mentioned aboved.

The only other Wes Anderson films I've seen are Moonrise Kingdom and recently Grand Budapest.

edit: Sloop just came on shuffle. Coincidence...?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:26:57 PM by undercover-m » Logged

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 06:47:01 PM »

Nice work.  I had heard the stories about some screenings using The Beatles version of "Hey Jude" but not "Sloop John B" over the ending. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265666/alternateversions

I actually think "Sloop John B" works better for the scene, honestly.  Especially when juxtaposed with the grave marker.  LOL

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx