gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:26:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good M&B "behind-the-scenes" article on Examiner  (Read 3037 times)
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2015, 03:39:35 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/review/celebrating-50-years-of-endless-summer-days-and-nights
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 03:52:34 PM »

Great article!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 05:04:48 AM »

Want an article rah-rahing Mike Love and at the same time dissing Brian with the ages-old Mental illness/Brain Damage tag?  
 Just get David Beard. He'll write it time and time again

>>After the show, traveling through the back roads of the North Carolina mountains with the hum of the bus’ wheels muffled in the background, discussion turned to Brian. Without hesitation, Mike was praising his cousin and waxing nostalgic on the music they created together. He misses the young man he created those songs with, and wishes he was the same. Unfortunately, Brian isn’t the same. His mental illness is depicted in the new “Love & Mercy” film chronicling his troubles in the 1960’s, and the continued damage brought on by the overdosing of pills at the hands of Dr. Eugene Landy. Mike respects and loves his cousin more than we can possibly comprehend, but even in the dimly lit bus, the compassion he has for Brian was easy to see and hear. <<
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 05:06:48 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 05:24:50 AM »

Want an article rah-rahing Mike Love and at the same time dissing Brian with the ages-old Mental illness/Brain Damage tag?  

>>After the show, traveling through the back roads of the North Carolina mountains with the hum of the bus’ wheels muffled in the background, discussion turned to Brian. Without hesitation, Mike was praising his cousin and waxing nostalgic on the music they created together. He misses the young man he created those songs with, and wishes he was the same. Unfortunately, Brian isn’t the same. His mental illness is depicted in the new “Love & Mercy” film chronicling his troubles in the 1960’s, and the continued damage brought on by the overdosing of pills at the hands of Dr. Eugene Landy. Mike respects and loves his cousin more than we can possibly comprehend, but even in the dimly lit bus, the compassion he has for Brian was easy to see and hear. <<

i don't see what is wrong with the bit you quoted.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 06:27:00 AM »

This is due more to Mike himself than the author (who did of course choose to print the comment), but the pining for the "young man" version of Brian to still be there is rather odd considering Mike isn't exactly his 22-year-old self himself. He's actually ever so slightly *older* than Brian.

To me, that's a really odd attitude to publicly convey about one of your contemporaries. For a 74-year-old guy who isn't the same as he was 50-plus years ago (and who is?) and isn't exactly a spring chicken himself, to lament that his former bandmate isn't "the same" as he was 50-plus years ago is a little rich.

I would also argue how much the CONTINUED lamenting of pretty much everything to do with Brian after about 1967 doesn't show an unrelenting, non-judgmental "compassion." There are times when it is appropriate to delve into the past and into negative things, and a time when it is no longer needed. Considering Brian has for a number of years now been off of drugs and in a much better place emotionally/mentally, I would say Mike CONTINUALLY bring those aspects up, and also continually passive-aggressively lamenting how Brian isn't his "old self" is far from compassionate. To an outside observer anyway.

That authors have to continually overemphasize and stress how much Mike "praises" Brian speaks, to me, to how much Mike is on the defensive. The question becomes, why is he on the defensive? There are no doubt some misconceptions about Mike (as there are about ALL of the BB's). But for the most part, Mike is on the defensive because of his own actions and words over the years. *That* is why he has to continually remind us all that no, he really thinks Brian is talented, and no, he really likes Van Dyke Parks and no, argumentatively asking someone what their lyrics mean doesn't have any negative connotation whatsoever, and so on....

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 07:20:56 AM »

i don't see what is wrong with the bit you quoted.

Mike was praising his cousin and waxing nostalgic on the music they created together. He misses the young man he created those songs with, and wishes he was the same. Unfortunately, Brian isn’t the same.

"Unfortunately, Brian isn't the same"? What does that even mean? What specifically is so unfortunate about Brian's current state that he would want to be the exact person he was in the early/mid 60s? Back when Mike was creating music with Brian, Brian was suffering from panic attacks, anxiety attacks, extreme stage fright, aural hallucinations, etc. Now he is getting help for those ailments. According to people who actually spend time with Brian he has his same wit about him, same sense of humor he did back in the 60s (we even saw this sense of humor in his recent Q&As). He's obviously got mostly the same work ethic (attention to detail and strive for perfection) and drive that he had back then (writing, recording, releasing, touring for No Pier Pressure, and now adding more tour dates and wanting to record another album). It seems to me that Brian is back to his usual self these days: he loves to eat, loves to joke around, he loves to write music, he loves to record, he still wants another #1 hit. The difference being he now has somewhat of a control over the mental issues that plagued him for much of his life. I wouldn't consider any of that unfortunate.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 07:31:54 AM »

That authors have to continually overemphasize and stress how much Mike "praises" Brian speaks, to me, to how much Mike is on the defensive. The question becomes, why is he on the defensive? There are no doubt some misconceptions about Mike (as there are about ALL of the BB's). But for the most part, Mike is on the defensive because of his own actions and words over the years. *That* is why he has to continually remind us all that no, he really thinks Brian is talented, and no, he really likes Van Dyke Parks and no, argumentatively asking someone what their lyrics mean doesn't have any negative connotation whatsoever, and so on....

Not sure if this link has been posted yet, but here's yet another article that was released yesterday where Mike kinda talks about the compassion he has for his cousin:

http://clatl.com/atlanta/the-beach-boys-now/Content?oid=14928429

"What has been promulgated is just not real," Love says. "It's annoying to me. I know my relationship with Brian — no one has been involved with Brian Wilson longer than I have. We've been together since childhood. So no one can tell me how my relationship is with Brian."

3 articles dropped in one day, all harboring the similar agenda of "I love my cousin"

I'm not sure at all why Mike would be so defensive about this subject. Surely he hasn't given people reason to think he doesn't have compassion for his cousin.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 10:09:47 AM »

Proof that Mike reads this board?  Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 11:11:27 AM »

Not sure if this link has been posted yet, but here's yet another article that was released yesterday where Mike kinda talks about the compassion he has for his cousin:

http://clatl.com/atlanta/the-beach-boys-now/Content?oid=14928429

"What has been promulgated is just not real," Love says. "It's annoying to me. I know my relationship with Brian — no one has been involved with Brian Wilson longer than I have. We've been together since childhood. So no one can tell me how my relationship is with Brian."

3 articles dropped in one day, all harboring the similar agenda of "I love my cousin"

I'm not sure at all why Mike would be so defensive about this subject. Surely he hasn't given people reason to think he doesn't have compassion for his cousin.

Mike isn't sufficiently praiseworthy of his cousin - people here bitch about it.

Mike praises his cousin - people here bitch about it.

[sigh...]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 11:19:02 AM »

There's no way they got close to 65 songs. Wonder how many they actually did - around the usual 40 for this type of venue?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 11:19:26 AM »

Ahem...surely the big news here is that Mike is considering adding "Trader" and "Feel Flows" to the setlist ?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 11:28:09 AM »

I suppose I can only speak for myself, but I've never denied that Mike has plenty of complimentary things to say about Brian in interviews. The problem is that it is often served with a side dish of other less palatable things during the course of a given interview.

I've never particularly seen rampant complaints that Mike doesn't say enough nice things about Brian. The complaints usually stem from also dredging up less kind things that don't necessarily *still* need to be brought up, like Brian's past drug and mental problems, or the decades-old lawsuit, etc. I know I use the same examples, but that's because he also often uses the same examples. The complaints also come from other things Mike says, rather than things he's not saying.

It doesn't help when, like the other interview in another thread, the interviewer asks loaded questions that are simultaneously inflammatory and softballs, essentially variations on "What do you have to say to all the wrong-headed a**holes who have the incorrect perception that you're an a**hole?"

But stuff like Mike wishing Brian was his young self, that's stuff that fans of course do indeed process through a filter. That filter includes our own biases and preferences and all of that, but our filters are also colored by reading and guaging the many reactions and comments of Mike over the years. It's not out of line to at least wonder if Mike isn't just whistfully wishing all of his contemporaries were young again, but rather wonder if he has it set in his mind that any Brian that isn't knocking down his door to co-write is somehow evidence of a lesser, damaged Brian. It's not out of line to point out that such comments give the appearance that Mike isn't thinking about whether someone might think the same things about him, wishing he was as prolific and original and youthful and agreeable and amenable as he was in 1963.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:34:46 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 11:33:20 AM »

Ahem...surely the big news here is that Mike is considering adding "Trader" and "Feel Flows" to the setlist ?

I believe his band already did “Feel Flows” at some point in the not-too-distant past in the UK. I don’t see “The Trader” as impossible, considering they’ve done “Surf’s Up” at this stage. I kind of wish they would concentrate more on working out getting all the surviving members in the band and less time on figuring out how to add more songs to their setlist for Totten or Foskett or Eichenberger to sing, even if they are all great vocalists and tackling great, deep cut tracks.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 11:40:21 AM »

I suppose I can only speak for myself, but I've never denied that Mike has plenty of complimentary things to say about Brian in interviews. The problem is that it is often served with a side dish of other less palatable things during the course of a given interview.

Exactly.

But stuff like Mike wishing Brian was his young self, that's stuff that fans of course do indeed process through a filter. That filter includes our own biases and preferences and all of that, but our filters are also colored by reading and guaging the many reactions and comments of Mike over the years. It's not out of line to at least wonder if Mike isn't just whistfully wishing all of his contemporaries were young again, but rather wonder if he has it set in his mind that any Brian that isn't knocking down his door to co-write is somehow evidence of a lesser, damaged Brian. It's not out of line to point out that such comments give the appearance that Mike isn't thinking about whether someone might think the same things about him, wishing he was as prolific and original and youthful and agreeable and amenable as he was in 1963.

I honestly found nothing wrong with Mike saying he misses the young man he created those songs with. For a fact they had great times together, and wrote some of the greatest songs America will ever know. I was more put off by the interviewer's assertion that "Unfortunately, Brian isn’t the same." - I'm still curious what is so unfortunate about Brian's current state compared to his early/mid 60s self...

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 11:43:36 AM »

Exactly.

I honestly found nothing wrong with Mike saying he misses the young man he created those songs with. For a fact they had great times together, and wrote some of the greatest songs America will ever know. I was more put off by the interviewer's assertion that "Unfortunately, Brian isn’t the same." - I'm still curious what is so unfortunate about Brian's current state compared to his early/mid 60s self...

Agreed; the opinion of the interview and Mike got kind of muddied there. The "unfortunately, Brian isn't the same" bit was where it went even more off the rails, whether it was the sentiment of one or both of the two.

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 08:26:32 PM »

Mike always has and always will be competitive.  His quote about "I've known Brian the longest so." shows that perfectly.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 02:14:35 AM »

Exactly.

Agreed; the opinion of the interview and Mike got kind of muddied there. The "unfortunately, Brian isn't the same" bit was where it went even more off the rails, whether it was the sentiment of one or both of the two.

Brian himself says, and has said for a long time, that he's not as driven now as he was in the early 60s. he even wrote a song about it, Elbow 64. Mike misses the drive Brian had to create and succeed. So does Brian.

Cue Joker meme: If brian says it, no one bats an eyelid, if Mike says it, everyone loses their minds.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 06:44:52 AM »

Exactly.

Brian himself says, and has said for a long time, that he's not as driven now as he was in the early 60s. he even wrote a song about it, Elbow 64. Mike misses the drive Brian had to create and succeed. So does Brian.

Cue Joker meme: If brian says it, no one bats an eyelid, if Mike says it, everyone loses their minds.

Nah, I’m pretty sure there’s a different societal standard when it comes to someone criticizing themselves versus someone else criticizing them.

Brian called himself a bad father in the 1991 Primetime Live interview. Would it not seem a bit off-putting if Mike and Brue and Al then mentioned in numerous subsequent interviews that Brian was a bad father, regardless of the veracity of such comments?

As I’ve always said, if Mike or his supporters want to use the “he’s just tellin’ it like it is” angle, that’s cool. But then you have to prepared for him potentially justifiably being called a d**k in certain circumstances.

I would also argue that Mike pining for the “young Brian” is a much more potentially loaded comment than what Brian had said about himself.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx