gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:29:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "She Don't Know" on "Mess of Help"  (Read 10055 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2015, 08:38:13 AM »

Forgive me if this specific question has been discussed, but I don't recall it coming up. It might be such a small point or question that nobody (even here) cares.

I understand that "You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone" evolved out of "Beatrice From Baltimore." My question is, does anyone know whether the "she don't / she don't / she don't know" vocal part is a remnant of that earlier song? It seems entirely irrelevant to the final "Mess of Help" song, lyrically speaking; I wonder whether it just remained in the new song / new lyrics because, logical or not, it just sounded cool. (What were they going to do, sing "mess o' / mess o' help / mess o' help?") Not that nonsense lyrics can't and don't make their ways into songs all the time, but it seems like that lyric likely fit better about a song with a subject-"she" than one about community.

Unless maybe there was this one particular "she" who "don't know" the mess of help required to stand alone...  Grin

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 08:58:55 AM »

Isn't "SHE" the person the lyrics are directed too?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 09:57:28 AM »

Don't know, but it's Brian singing the 'answering' part of it (the 'she don't know it')

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 10:21:32 AM »

Isn't "SHE" the person the lyrics are directed too?

I'd always assumed the lyrics were a vernacular way of saying "One Needs A Mess of Help to Stand Alone", meaning the songwriter (i.e Brian).

And the "she don't know" could be a reference to a perceived lack of understanding from his female counterpart (i.e. his wife).

Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 08:08:44 PM »

Although I've always been a big fan of this song, I've also always fealt that it's 2 completely unrelated songs mashed together. I think it would have had been a potentially successful single without the "She don't know" breaks.  They come out of left field.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 09:12:13 PM »

Although I've always been a big fan of this song, I've also always fealt that it's 2 completely unrelated songs mashed together. I think it would have had been a potentially successful single without the "She don't know" breaks.  They come out of left field.

Or the opposite...the "She don't know" parts are the best, IMO.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 10:15:11 PM »

Aren't they singing, "She don't know a thing" ?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 03:02:07 AM »

I'm hearing "she don't/no she don't /no she don't know"

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 05:51:00 AM »

Would it be fair to say none of us knows the answer to the initial question, then?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 06:26:19 AM »

My guess is that it's two separate lyrical parts.  The lead is all about "I need" and the "She don't know" part makes little sense.
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 08:19:20 AM »

Would it be fair to say none of us knows the answer to the initial question, then?

We don't know  Cheesy
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 02:35:58 AM »

the lead vocal, is this a Carl double up?  using two different vocal techniques?  always found this
intriguing how they produced this tune.  would love to hear it accapella (which is nude, oops
I lost my head)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 03:45:37 AM »

the lead vocal, is this a Carl double up?  using two different vocal techniques?  always found this
intriguing how they produced this tune.  would love to hear it accapella (which is nude, oops
I lost my head)

There's a discussion of it and other not necessarily nude matters here:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14744.0.html

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 01:45:40 PM »

I lost my head)

We went into this in some length on the lead vocal thread which I participated in.  I think we came up with it's three vocals, at least two of which are Carl singing, as you say, with two different vocal techiques, and a third unidentified vocalist who might be Brian but is more likely to be Carl again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 04:33:45 PM »

I lost my head)

We went into this in some length on the lead vocal thread which I participated in.  I think we came up with it's three vocals, at least two of which are Carl singing, as you say, with two different vocal techiques, and a third unidentified vocalist who might be Brian but is more likely to be Carl again.

Having heard the parts isolated...the third part is Brian, one of 3 songs where he is present vocally (the other two being Marcella and He Come Down)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 05:44:08 PM »

99.99% certain that Jack Reiley could not think of a way to change the middle-eight/tag lyrics to match his rewrite of the "Beatrice" lyrics (and, man, I would REALLY like to hear those in their entirety, they must've been a scream!!).

And so it became this weird field holler thing that takes the "unrequited" aspect of the "Beatrice" lyrics to a different level...clearly the babe that Brian and Tandyn were hot over wasn't returning their, um, "enthusiasm" when they saw her shaking' her booty at Bumbles!

Of course the ladies can reinterpret this as a sexist putdown ("She don't know a thing") but I prefer to think that the boys are merely frustrated that "Beatrice" is unaware of (and completely uninterested in) the effect she's having on our songwriters.

And therefore I suspect that Carl decided to thicken that part in the tag to sort of paper all of that over, with the byproduct of that being that he created one of the greatest rocked-out contrapuntal funkorama moments of all time--rootsy and yet still somehow Beach Boyish--aided immeasurably by that fantastic ascending bass line...and the lightning hands of Ricky Fataar, in his greatest BB moment the first time out. Headphone nirvana, boys and girls!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 06:35:10 PM »

the lead vocal, is this a Carl double up?  using two different vocal techniques?  always found this
intriguing how they produced this tune.  would love to hear it accapella (which is nude, oops
I lost my head)

We went into this in some length on the lead vocal thread which I participated in.  I think we came up with it's three vocals, at least two of which are Carl singing, as you say, with two different vocal techiques, and a third unidentified vocalist who might be Brian but is more likely to be Carl again.

Having heard the parts isolated...the third part is Brian, one of 3 songs where he is present vocally (the other two being Marcella and He Come Down)

This aligns with what Mike said at the time regarding Brian's involvement with the album: "Brian was there with 'Marcella', and 'Mess Of Help' has his harmonies with the vocal." He didn't mention "He Come Down" in that sentence, but yes, Brian's there too. Speaking of THAT song....man, that gospel ending is fantastic, with the churchy group harmonies and Blondie wailing away on top!

Ten years after the fact, Carl made this comment regarding CATP "So Tough": "If we had done eight tunes like 'Marcella', it could have been a great rock album, almost a folk-rock album...I wish Brian had been strong enough to produce the record, because it could have been an ass-kicking, great record."
linusoli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 09:27:22 PM »

the lead vocal, is this a Carl double up?  using two different vocal techniques?  always found this
intriguing how they produced this tune.  would love to hear it accapella (which is nude, oops
I lost my head)

We went into this in some length on the lead vocal thread which I participated in.  I think we came up with it's three vocals, at least two of which are Carl singing, as you say, with two different vocal techiques, and a third unidentified vocalist who might be Brian but is more likely to be Carl again.

This aligns with what Mike said at the time regarding Brian's involvement with the album: "Brian was there with 'Marcella', and 'Mess Of Help' has his harmonies with the vocal." He didn't mention "He Come Down" in that sentence, but yes, Brian's there too. Speaking of THAT song....man, that gospel ending is fantastic, with the churchy group harmonies and Blondie wailing away on top!

Ten years after the fact, Carl made this comment regarding CATP "So Tough": "If we had done eight tunes like 'Marcella', it could have been a great rock album, almost a folk-rock album...I wish Brian had been strong enough to produce the record, because it could have been an ass-kicking, great record."

Wait, so we are confirming that Brian is the 3rd lead on Mess of Help ? The one that goes up the octave sometimes? If so, that's a pretty huge revelation! My ears always heard Blondie's tone -- but what the heck do I know?
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 09:48:00 PM »

is there anywhere online we can hear or find the isolated vocals?  lots of different thoughts on
those background lead vocals.  Interesting still, we have heard lots of the Capitol material
dissected and available in various forms now, but hardly anything of the great early 70's albums.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 12:30:43 AM »

is there anywhere online we can hear or find the isolated vocals?  lots of different thoughts on
those background lead vocals.  Interesting still, we have heard lots of the Capitol material
dissected and available in various forms now, but hardly anything of the great early 70's albums.
Yes, isolated vocals would be great to hear!

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 04:16:00 AM »

That discussion starts around here (skipping posts along the way): 

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4120.msg71961.html#msg71961

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 04:23:49 AM »

I lost my head)

Wait, so we are confirming that Brian is the 3rd lead on Mess of Help ? The one that goes up the octave sometimes? If so, that's a pretty huge revelation! My ears always heard Blondie's tone -- but what the heck do I know?

Mike's comment confirms it in MY mind.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 06:20:14 AM »

I don't know the answer to the initial question, but whenever I don't understand lyrics, I always assume it means the same thing:
"She don't know..." Is referring to Linda McCartney not knowing that she married Faul and not Paul who died in a car accident in 1966. Faul needs a mess of help (please please help me!) to stand as Paul.

This explanation is fully documented in my weed!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 02:49:41 PM »

If you have a receiver/tuner that isolates left-right channels and puts out a signal into both speakers/headphones, you could get a lot of clarity on the (intermittent) three leads in the verses. That's what we used to do back in the day with "Mess of Help" because it was clear that the track had a lot of panning.

When you do that, you get a gruff Carl who's in play throughout all of the verses, a smoother Carl who is in play during the second half of each verse, where the melody changes as it flows into "...a mess of help to stand alone", and an intermittent Brian adding accents on words in various places.

Sounds to me like Carl might have doubled parts of the gruff vocal, particularly in the third and final verse.

Hard to tell who's singing the "she don't know/she don't know it" lines that followi Carl's "She don't know a thing" in the tag. There are clearly more voices in the tag, which enhances and "thickens" the earlier middle-eight.

I went back and read Adam's 2007 post on this, and I don't think we're too far off in terms of what's going on, but all of that track listing material from Alan is fascinating and I sure wish he would spend some more time trying to figure out what's really where. This is definitely one of a handful of tunes that would have been amazing to watch through the full course of its creation, right down to the mixing, where some of the final mysteries may still be lurking...
linusoli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 05:39:29 PM »

If you have a receiver/tuner that isolates left-right channels and puts out a signal into both speakers/headphones, you could get a lot of clarity on the (intermittent) three leads in the verses. That's what we used to do back in the day with "Mess of Help" because it was clear that the track had a lot of panning.

When you do that, you get a gruff Carl who's in play throughout all of the verses, a smoother Carl who is in play during the second half of each verse, where the melody changes as it flows into "...a mess of help to stand alone", and an intermittent Brian adding accents on words in various places.

Sounds to me like Carl might have doubled parts of the gruff vocal, particularly in the third and final verse.

Hard to tell who's singing the "she don't know/she don't know it" lines that followi Carl's "She don't know a thing" in the tag. There are clearly more voices in the tag, which enhances and "thickens" the earlier middle-eight.

I went back and read Adam's 2007 post on this, and I don't think we're too far off in terms of what's going on, but all of that track listing material from Alan is fascinating and I sure wish he would spend some more time trying to figure out what's really where. This is definitely one of a handful of tunes that would have been amazing to watch through the full course of its creation, right down to the mixing, where some of the final mysteries may still be lurking...

Just tried that! Aside from the obvious clean Carl lead, I hear:

1. The "gruff" voice. Maybe Brian? (as it does resemble his 15BO voice). But I'm just not sure. Some of the stylings sound more like Carl to me.
2. A higher pitched, nasal "clean" but shouty voice, which DOES sound a lot like 72-era Brian to me. This voice goes into harmony at points.
3. Maybe yet ANOTHER voice, which goes into a falsetto octave at points, and sounds more like Blondie than anyone else to me.

So maybe as many as 4 vocals on that left channel? And sometimes as little as 2? It does have a kind  of loose group feel....

I have also always identified Brian as the "answer" vocal in the "She Don't know" tag-

EG - She don't-she don't-----------she don't know
         Brian:    SHE DON'T KNOW IT

thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:40:32 PM by linusoli » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx