gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:24:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steamboat percussion effects  (Read 6686 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2006, 10:34:07 AM »

Has anybody seen any kind of interview of any appropriate people that explains how they went about getting the unique sounds on Steamboat?  Sometimes it sounds like they're just hitting a big piece of metal.
MBE
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 02:01:20 PM »

Maybe in the Holland booklet. By the way this is one of the few times you can hear Brian on Holland doing the high backup.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 05:52:15 PM »

That doesn't sound like Brian to me
MBE
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 07:08:46 AM »

He's soft but crank up the "We'll get your steamboat rolling" line. I think Dennis is there too.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 06:47:06 PM »

I've actually OOPSed the song to try to hear him.. just not happening, usually I can pick out Brian when hes in a song.  It sounds like it's Carl doing the high part and Dennis doing the low.  Any concrete evidence that this is him?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 07:16:22 PM »

I've actually OOPSed the song to try to hear him.. just not happening, usually I can pick out Brian when hes in a song.  It sounds like it's Carl doing the high part and Dennis doing the low.  Any concrete evidence that this is him?

He's doing the high part right BEFORE the line that MBE mentioned. (the "ahh" part)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 09:34:56 PM »

I was going on ear, kinda the way he pronouces words. I also notice that Brian sang on a lot of Dennis stuff even when he wasn't recording with Carl, Mike or Al as much. Cuddle Up for example. I may of asked someone about it too, I am still 90 percent sure he is there but they all did sound so close at that time.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 01:27:03 AM »

"Cuddle Up" was taken from Dennis' then-in progress solo sessions - essentially it's a solo track with a few BB overdubs, and I strongly doubt Brian is on it, given that his overall presence on CATP-ST borders on the invisible. I recall Carl stating in an interview that he's only on "Marcella".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 03:06:05 AM »

Has anybody seen any kind of interview of any appropriate people that explains how they went about getting the unique sounds on Steamboat?  Sometimes it sounds like they're just hitting a big piece of metal.

Checked the Holland booklet as suggested. Nothing about anyone hitting big bits of scrap iron with hammers. Listening again, it sounds to me like a tape sample of a steam locomotive. Seriously. That or someone's been fannying around for hours with the settings on a Moog. Ummmmm... maybe Alan might know... or Steve Moffitt. Maybe Jack ?

Oh, and I don't hear Brian on it at all - the one vocal cited sounds awfully like Carl to me. But that's just my ears.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 08:36:53 AM »

My ears say Brian isn't singing on Steamboat. My heart kind of wishes he were.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 08:48:01 AM »

I've always thought it sounded like a 'white noise'-type effect from a Moog synth.

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 03:34:23 PM »

Marilyn and Diane are snging on "Steamboat"...and Brian reportedly helped arrange both "Make it Good" and "Cuddle Up", especially the latter, which it's also reported that he sang on (along with Carl), but his part may not be all that significant.

Craig
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 12:07:57 AM »

and Brian reportedly helped arrange both "Make it Good" and "Cuddle Up", especially the latter, which it's also reported that he sang on (along with Carl), but his part may not be all that significant.

Craig

Think a certain Darryl Dragon might take issue with those arrangement claims.  Cool

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 05:34:24 AM »

and Brian reportedly helped arrange both "Make it Good" and "Cuddle Up", especially the latter, which it's also reported that he sang on (along with Carl), but his part may not be all that significant.

Craig

Think a certain Darryl Dragon might take issue with those arrangement claims.  Cool

Well, what I read (in a Q & A section of one of the very earliest BBFUN newsletters, circa '76) was that both songs were arranged by Dennis Wilson, Daryl Dragon, and Brian Wilson.  The Q & As claimed to have been answered with some help from Brian himself.  I can dig them out to provide an exact quote, but it will take some time to find 'em.  Did Mr. Dragon say somewhere that Brian had no input on these songs?

Thanks,
Craig
MBE
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 05:41:49 AM »

Desper told me that at least while he was around, Brian usually did something or another on most songs. These songs we are debating come from slightly later so Brian is less likely but  Brian IS on You Need A Mess Of Help for sure. Bruce and Mike both mentioned it in 1972 interviews. Like I mentioned elsewhere the boxset has his vocals mixed a little higher. As Brian was on Sound Of Free, I would really think it's him on Cuddle Up. Being not a proper part of the CATP sessions may actually increase the chance he was there. The track may date from the mid 70-71 period where Brian was around a bit more.  Steamboat is still up for grabs but my ears say its him. A very minor part that would have taken him 5 min to do, it's not totaly beyond reason that he did sing on it.
MBE
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 05:43:02 AM »

A Rolling Stone review from 1972 said Brian arranged these tracks. I think that's where the rumor started. I don't think he did myself but who knows?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 03:45:27 PM »

Both "Make It Good" & "Cuddle Up" were diverted from Denny's embryonic solo album of the time, and I've never seen anyone claim that Brian had anything to do with that. I think the assumption that he arranged them in the RS review was based on a lack of knowledge as to who Darryl was, and his capabilities.

MBE
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 04:27:00 PM »

Andrew I think you are right about the Rolling Stone review guy. I have it and it seems he didn't interview anyone or anything like that.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx