-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:45:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Groucho Marx Saved!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Groucho Marx Saved!  (Read 3388 times)
Smilin Ed H
« on: July 20, 2015, 02:24:30 AM »

Well - it's the tale of how You Bet Your Life was saved for posterity. I would say this is in the wake of the Laurel and Hardy story, but it actually happened a few years earlier:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/you-bet-your-life-groucho-marx-saved.html
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 04:43:26 AM »

Well - it's the tale of how You Bet Your Life was saved for posterity. I would say this is in the wake of the Laurel and Hardy story, but it actually happened a few years earlier:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/you-bet-your-life-groucho-marx-saved.html

Missed that first time round. A heartwarming read. Thanks Ed. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 11:54:20 PM »

Look here Groucho ruining very good game show What's My Line. I'm sure some of you old-timers watched it, if not - wow, good for me! I know more than people who lived the 50s & 60s! I feel clever. Anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6wxrLjJobM (I think many will agree that rules in the game are a MUST to follow. He was annoying. I'm glad he was on the panel only twice & never invited back)

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 04:34:56 AM »

Look here Groucho ruining very good game show What's My Line. I'm sure some of you old-timers watched it, if not - wow, good for me! I know more than people who lived the 50s & 60s! I feel clever. Anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6wxrLjJobM (I think many will agree that rules in the game are a MUST to follow. He was annoying. I'm glad he was on the panel only twice & never invited back)

This old-timer says screw the rules (with all due respect, RR). What's My Line will probably only be remembered by future generations because of Groucho's appearance on it. He's one of the very few US comics (Woody Allen is another) who can really make me laugh... 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 04:47:49 AM »

I'm still hoping they turn up that silent film the Marx Bros shot. But You Bet Your Life is a fine Sunday afternoon lazing around the house pleasure...
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 05:36:50 AM »

I don't think I'm that old - but I probably am! I've always loved Groucho. Timeless stuff. In fact, the older I get, the more I appreciate him.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 07:14:11 AM »

This old-timer says screw the rules (with all due respect, RR). What's My Line will probably only be remembered by future generations because of Groucho's appearance on it. He's one of the very few US comics (Woody Allen is another) who can really make me laugh... 
This is quite a statement you made there, john. Let me raise some points:

1st, the show has its own Facebook page (google "what's my line facebook") with thousands of followers. It has steady fanbase with new people joining in. They aren't entirely old-timers. In fact, many people of my generation & younger said that they've been watching the show on youtube because it's too addictive (it IS!).

2nd, nobody liked Groucho, even the panel. You could tell they were annoyed but because it's a job, albeit side job, they had class enough to keep it friendly & polite on camera. Heck, they managed to fool the audience in the studio & the folks at home that they WERE friends. According to the book by Gil Fates about WML, they weren't. They may have partied together but at the time every celebrity was socializing together, going to the same clubs/restaurants or to see a new spectacular. Broadway theater was a big deal; people followed what's new; who appears at present time/current season etc. Every new play was a big event. Now ask actors who's on Broadway they'll keep quiet. Most of them say they never met/crossed paths before until in the set of this film they're on.

3rd, if a game has no rules, what's the point of playing it then? The mystery celebrity on that unfortunate ep seemed rather upset that Groucho didn't blindfold himself & even whispered to the next sitting panelist the guest's name! That's not fair & ruins enjoyment of fooling the panel by disguising voice/changing accent/ giving Yes/No in diff. languages etc.

4th, it's a matter of taste; by your post, you seem biased toward favorite comic. I don't like both Groucho & Woody Allen (btw, he was both on the panel & the mystery guest seat too, check him out as a fan).

Bottom line: What's My Line isn't & won't be remembered due to this sole Groucho Marx appearance. It is memorable, for sure, but we're talking about the longest-running TV show (17 yrs + syndicated version). Off the top, comedians Buddy Hackett, Cliff Arquette, Tony Randall, Joey Bishop, Ernie Kovacs, Steve Allen, Fred Allen (who sadly died only 2 yrs into the show), Robert Q. Lewis made people laugh no lesser. You can be funny AND follow the game rules.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 01:52:13 AM »

This is quite a statement you made there, john. Let me raise some points:

1st, the show has its own Facebook page (google "what's my line facebook") with thousands of followers. It has steady fanbase with new people joining in. They aren't entirely old-timers. In fact, many people of my generation & younger said that they've been watching the show on youtube because it's too addictive (it IS!).

2nd, nobody liked Groucho, even the panel. You could tell they were annoyed but because it's a job, albeit side job, they had class enough to keep it friendly & polite on camera. Heck, they managed to fool the audience in the studio & the folks at home that they WERE friends. According to the book by Gil Fates about WML, they weren't. They may have partied together but at the time every celebrity was socializing together, going to the same clubs/restaurants or to see a new spectacular. Broadway theater was a big deal; people followed what's new; who appears at present time/current season etc. Every new play was a big event. Now ask actors who's on Broadway they'll keep quiet. Most of them say they never met/crossed paths before until in the set of this film they're on.

3rd, if a game has no rules, what's the point of playing it then? The mystery celebrity on that unfortunate ep seemed rather upset that Groucho didn't blindfold himself & even whispered to the next sitting panelist the guest's name! That's not fair & ruins enjoyment of fooling the panel by disguising voice/changing accent/ giving Yes/No in diff. languages etc.

4th, it's a matter of taste; by your post, you seem biased toward favorite comic. I don't like both Groucho & Woody Allen (btw, he was both on the panel & the mystery guest seat too, check him out as a fan).

Bottom line: What's My Line isn't & won't be remembered due to this sole Groucho Marx appearance. It is memorable, for sure, but we're talking about the longest-running TV show (17 yrs + syndicated version). Off the top, comedians Buddy Hackett, Cliff Arquette, Tony Randall, Joey Bishop, Ernie Kovacs, Steve Allen, Fred Allen (who sadly died only 2 yrs into the show), Robert Q. Lewis made people laugh no lesser. You can be funny AND follow the game rules.

I'm sure don't deserve such a long and well-argued answer. You're right, of course. My old problem: talk first, think about it later (if at all). So my apologies.

Some of the comedians you mention are familiar to me as names, some aren't. While I'm here, another Yank who makes me laugh is Rich Hall (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Hall):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFal553wR3k   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: