gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:27:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce on stage... SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN!  (Read 23741 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2015, 08:43:48 PM »

Okay, in the world of the BBs, some things are considered 100% factual. For example...
1 Brian Wilson is a genius
2 Pet Sounds is a great album
3 There are too many compilations...

Am I right? Those are considered facts among BBs fans!

Oh yeah, and there's another thing--- Bruce makes a fool of himself on stage!!!

So, Bruce is an incredible keyboardist (Hal Blaine said he was the best he'd ever worked with) and he's a proficient bassist. Yet on stage, he stands behind his keyboard, playing it occasionally (Although it makes no sound), but for 75% of the time, he prances around the stage; clapping, waving, pointing, shrugging and laughing oddly (you know what I mean...), he acts like Mike's cheerleader. I just don't get it! Some people say he doesn't play really keys anymore because of old age and his hands hurt. Well, clapping for a few hours every night has gotta hurt your hands even more! Plus, he's been doing this since the mid 80's! Prior to about '88ish (give or take a few years) Bruce would always play crucial keyboard parts or bass! And he played those parts really well. And he'd also occasionally play saxophone or guitar! That takes talent to be such a proficient multi-instrumentalist. But ever since the mid 80's he cheerleads like I said above. And when he actually touches his keyboard, it doesn't take a genius to realize it's inaudible.

SO---
Is there anyone on this board who knows why this is the case? Perhaps someone who has talked to, or even been on stage with Bruce?
I just don't get!

Not only that, but while I'm on the subject--- Bruce is an incredible producer, arranger, and songwriter. So why the hell, would he not do any of those things since, really, the SIP album?!?

I love Bruce, and think he's a talented guy. Anyone who sings the outro on GOK, wrote classics Disney Girls and I Write The Songs, was a session guitarist, keyboardist, and drummer at 15, and won a grammy is insanely talented

SOMEONE EXPLAIN!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 08:47:57 PM by NateRuvin » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 08:55:16 PM »

His piano playing rreally stood out in 70/71. Hes a fantastic player, its completely true.

I think he's just on autopilot. He shows up, makes the effort to sing a couple songs, and just waits out the rest of the show, collecting his paycheck later. He admitted himself its just business to him.

RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 09:45:09 PM »

Its a  shame really. Though have to disagree with NateRuvin in one part - in the couple shows that I've seen him, his keyboard has been audible in all of them. He just doesn't play it much.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »

Saw Bruce before a show last month, at the mall of all places.   He seemed tired but was gracious and spoke with us for a few minutes and then excused himself.    I was actually concerned that he was feeling tired and didn't know what to expect at the show that evening.   He came out, seemingly full of energy and enthusiasm, smiling, playing the crowd, and did a two hour show with no intermission.   Not the first time I met Bruce but the first in many years.  He is a decent guy and a professional and has shown no others side to me professionally or personally in many years.   the man is 73....seventy three years old!    Same as  Brian.     so what if he leaves some of the keyboard work to Tim or others?     He is co-fronting the BEACHBOYS.   He has nothing to prove.     
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 10:29:55 PM »

Its a  shame really. Though have to disagree with NateRuvin in one part - in the couple shows that I've seen him, his keyboard has been audible in all of them. He just doesn't play it much.

Check out this clip of the BBs playing Here Today. Before the band starts, a chord is played on the guitar to give everyone their notes, and Bruce plays a chord on his keyboard. I can't hear any sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_4G1ggYLPc
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 10:42:38 PM »

Watching the whole thing Bruce appears to be playing what I am hearing......even watching Tim I see that Bruce appears to be playing....there are two keyboards and a sound man involved
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 10:56:56 PM »

Take a look at this clip. When Mike is talking, Bruce plays the keyboard, and no sound comes out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SialJVHIna4
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 11:35:44 PM »

The keyboard is just there as a prop, just as it is for Brian. That's why I made the mistake previously of thinking Bruce wasn't much of a musician.
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 03:08:03 AM »

I saw Bruce play I Write The Songs with keys completely on his own on the BB's 2004 Tour in Blackpool

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 03:38:52 AM »

I saw Bruce play I Write The Songs with keys completely on his own on the BB's 2004 Tour in Blackpool

Bruce's keyboard is definitely in the mix at live shows for at least "Darlin'", "Be True To Your School", the first bridge section of "Good Vibrations", and, most noticeably, "Disney Girls".
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 04:03:05 AM »

Whenever I've seen M&B I've only ever heard his keyboard on "Disney Girls" and it's on a delightfully horrible 80's EP setting that should have been ditched 25 years ago...
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 05:26:40 AM »

Okay, in the world of the BBs, some things are considered 100% factual. For example...

So, Bruce is an incredible keyboardist (Hal Blaine said he was the best he'd ever worked with) and he's a proficient bassist. Yet on stage, he stands behind his keyboard, playing it occasionally (Although it makes no sound), but for 75% of the time, he prances around the stage; clapping, waving, pointing, shrugging and laughing oddly (you know what I mean...), he acts like Mike's cheerleader. I just don't get it! Some people say he doesn't play really keys anymore because of old age and his hands hurt. Well, clapping for a few hours every night has gotta hurt your hands even more! Plus, he's been doing this since the mid 80's! Prior to about '88ish (give or take a few years) Bruce would always play crucial keyboard parts or bass! And he played those parts really well. And he'd also occasionally play saxophone or guitar! That takes talent to be such a proficient multi-instrumentalist. But ever since the mid 80's he cheerleads like I said above. And when he actually touches his keyboard, it doesn't take a genius to realize it's inaudible.

SO---
Is there anyone on this board who knows why this is the case? Perhaps someone who has talked to, or even been on stage with Bruce?
I just don't get!

Not only that, but while I'm on the subject--- Bruce is an incredible producer, arranger, and songwriter. So why the hell, would he not do any of those things since, really, the SIP album?!?

I love Bruce, and think he's a talented guy. Anyone who sings the outro on GOK, wrote classics Disney Girls and I Write The Songs, was a session guitarist, keyboardist, and drummer at 15, and won a grammy is insanely talented

SOMEONE EXPLAIN!
Have you seen Brian Wilson songwriter, 1962-1969? 
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 05:33:45 AM »

When I asked him about where exactly his keyboard is in the mix, Bruce told me this:

"The point of my piano was to kind of keep my voice company. I thought, well, gosh, with some of these songs, If I can boogie and put the cushion under 'God Only Knows,' you won't really hear it unless I stop playing. Then you'll know something's gone."
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 05:38:59 AM »

Check out this clip of the BBs playing Here Today. Before the band starts, a chord is played on the guitar to give everyone their notes, and Bruce plays a chord on his keyboard. I can't hear any sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_4G1ggYLPc

Wow! Listen to 1:45 how wonderful Mike's and Bruce's vocals blend!

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 06:59:42 AM »

Besides piano, Bruce is a terrific organ player. I love his organ work on late 60s/early 70s BB live recordings. 
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 07:06:23 AM »

The keyboard is just there as a prop, just as it is for Brian. That's why I made the mistake previously of thinking Bruce wasn't much of a musician.

I saw Brian live two weeks ago, and his keyboard was surprisingly loud in the mix. During Barbara Ann, he and Scott played a piano solo with Scott on top, and Brian playing the bass notes. It was pretty cool! I think it was obvious that Brian's keyboard was inaudible, but around 2011, he started actually playing piano on stage.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 07:08:06 AM »

When I asked him about where exactly his keyboard is in the mix, Bruce told me this:

"The point of my piano was to kind of keep my voice company. I thought, well, gosh, with some of these songs, If I can boogie and put the cushion under 'God Only Knows,' you won't really hear it unless I stop playing. Then you'll know something's gone."

That's pretty interesting. GOK, is actually a song where he seems to  be playing keys the whole song (when he's not adjusting his mic stand of course!  Grin)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 07:10:24 AM »

I saw Brian live two weeks ago, and his keyboard was surprisingly loud in the mix. During Barbara Ann, he and Scott played a piano solo with Scott on top, and Brian playing the bass notes. It was pretty cool! I think it was obvious that Brian's keyboard was inaudible, but around 2011, he started actually playing piano on stage.

Actually, 2009.

And he had been doing featured piano spots since 2000 -- In My Room, Wind Chimes, intro to Marcella.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 07:11:29 AM by Wirestone » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 07:13:03 AM »

Actually, 2009.

And he had been doing featured piano spots since 2000 -- In My Room, Wind Chimes, intro to Marcella.

Yeah, he played on Wind Chimes as early as the BWPS tour.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 07:14:25 AM »

SO---
I just don't get!

SOMEONE EXPLAIN!

I saw it a while ago, but it's been a few years. Why?
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 08:22:31 AM »

Bruce's keyboard is definitely in the mix at live shows for at least "Darlin'", "Be True To Your School", the first bridge section of "Good Vibrations", and, most noticeably, "Disney Girls".

I can definitely hear him on Disney Girls.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 08:42:39 AM »

SO---
I just don't get!

SOMEONE EXPLAIN!

I saw it a while ago, but it's been a few years. Why?
Well, it seems that the post contradicts itself...you concede on Johnston's prior skill and Grammy credentials (which hasn't gone away) and start up with the screaming bold print and snark about the cheerleading nonsense. His role in the band is clarified in that film.  

So, I guess you never saw Wild Honey keys on the Hammond, or the Old Grey Whistle Test of Disney Girls, or Gaumont Palace or the Nearest Faraway Place, also in Paris in black and white film... His position is important for the vocal blend...ever hear the falsetto at the close of Fun, Fun, Fun? Howie is correct.

So he works on keeping the audience engaged? That is a bad thing? Both he and Mike have honed "audience barometers."
Not every audience is a receptive one.  And some are ready to party from the first note.

Think a setlist might get "amended" post-intermission? Sometimes it does. They may add or subtract certain songs based on "reading the audience." If I had to opine, that kind of "reading comprehension" comes with years of performing.  The keyboard is plugged in, you'd notice if it was conspicuous by its absence, but there is also a very gifted keyboardist on board.  

That makes him a Mike cheerleader?  Mike needs no cheerleader.  He must do at least 60% of the leads...so I'm thinking you're getting sucked into a "narrative" that might tend to be "politically correct" on this forum. But I'm thinking it is a false narrative.   Wink
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:43:44 AM by filledeplage » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 09:13:03 AM »

Setlists are apparently in flux show to show.   and possibly post intermission.    Last show I asked the guys at the soundboard for a copy and they laughed and said they didn't have their copy yet.   told me to come back after the show and I could have theirs.    This was only a few minutes before the show.    They did indeed receive their copy before the show and did hand it off to me afterward.   
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 09:28:43 AM »

Take a look at this clip. When Mike is talking, Bruce plays the keyboard, and no sound comes out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SialJVHIna4

I think maybe your eyes and ears and these videos may be deceiving you.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 09:31:09 AM »

I think maybe your eyes and ears and these videos may be deceiving you.

In the WOTS video, at 0:13, Bruce plays a chord and no sound comes out.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx