gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 06:21:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce on stage... SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN!  (Read 23768 times)
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2015, 01:57:43 PM »

I don't think the mic adjusting has anything to do with him trying to kill time - if you look at videos from 1980, when he was still one of only two keyboard players on stage, he'd still stop playing and adjust his mic fairly frequently. My guess is that it's just something that he's always picky about.

Are there any examples of Bruce doing lots of mic adjusting back in the day when he was playing live bass in the band?
Why does this matter? It feels childish to continue this for 5 pages. Wasn't Ron's explanation enough to cure this debilitating disease? I take it that it must be from boredom. Wink

I agree.  A lot of the posts on this board now come across as childish.  Less and less discussion about the music. How about the new Analogue Productions releases or the UMe vinyl?  These topics quickly drop down the board in favour of pages of 'discussion' like his thread.

Nate are you saying Bruce has a form of Alzheimer's?  If not, then what are you saying as you've said he's a very knowledgeable musician. Have you heard Bruce playing over the years?  Do you seriously think he doesn't know what he's doing?  Do you not think for a second he could switch on his piano and play all the songs?  Do you think he woke up one day and could not remember any of the songs? Why are people even asking these questions?  He chooses to not play, as Ron said, because he doesn't need to anymore.  He enjoys the other stuff and the red wine as SWD said!

You're first post was fine but then you seem to want to flog this thread like a dead horse.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:59:40 PM by mikeddonn » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2015, 02:26:58 PM »

Playing consistently AND singing consistently does require some effort. As Brian's keyboard playing onstage became busier, his vocals became lazier. Bruce probably doesn't want to carry that burden throughout a show anymore.

But forget about the live shows. What the hell with all those Carl-written songs in the 1985 album in which he gave the guitar solos to somebody else?

I've always found that very odd. I suppose he learned from Brian early on that it's A-ok to replace yourself with another musician, but at the same time, it would've been cool to hear what Carl could have played on them. I wonder if there are any scratch demo versions with Carl playing BB85 guitar leads that then got replaced?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:28:09 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2015, 03:34:13 PM »

I don't think the mic adjusting has anything to do with him trying to kill time - if you look at videos from 1980, when he was still one of only two keyboard players on stage, he'd still stop playing and adjust his mic fairly frequently. My guess is that it's just something that he's always picky about.

Are there any examples of Bruce doing lots of mic adjusting back in the day when he was playing live bass in the band?
Why does this matter? It feels childish to continue this for 5 pages. Wasn't Ron's explanation enough to cure this debilitating disease? I take it that it must be from boredom. Wink

I agree.  A lot of the posts on this board now come across as childish.  Less and less discussion about the music. How about the new Analogue Productions releases or the UMe vinyl?  These topics quickly drop down the board in favour of pages of 'discussion' like his thread.

Nate are you saying Bruce has a form of Alzheimer's?  If not, then what are you saying as you've said he's a very knowledgeable musician. Have you heard Bruce playing over the years?  Do you seriously think he doesn't know what he's doing?  Do you not think for a second he could switch on his piano and play all the songs?  Do you think he woke up one day and could not remember any of the songs? Why are people even asking these questions?  He chooses to not play, as Ron said, because he doesn't need to anymore.  He enjoys the other stuff and the red wine as SWD said!

You're first post was fine but then you seem to want to flog this thread like a dead horse.

You make me out to be a malicious child, trying to do something wrong for this board. I simply asked some questions! I want to discuss something I've always been confused by. I didn't know that was such a crime. I didn't say anything about Bruce. I said things could've been possibilities, but I never said they were facts, or even opinions! You're putting words into my mouth, and in fact, you're being more childish than I am.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2015, 03:38:54 PM »

I agree.  A lot of the posts on this board now come across as childish.  Less and less discussion about the music. How about the new Analogue Productions releases or the UMe vinyl?  These topics quickly drop down the board in favour of pages of 'discussion' like his thread.

Nate are you saying Bruce has a form of Alzheimer's?  If not, then what are you saying as you've said he's a very knowledgeable musician. Have you heard Bruce playing over the years?  Do you seriously think he doesn't know what he's doing?  Do you not think for a second he could switch on his piano and play all the songs?  Do you think he woke up one day and could not remember any of the songs? Why are people even asking these questions?  He chooses to not play, as Ron said, because he doesn't need to anymore.  He enjoys the other stuff and the red wine as SWD said!

You make me out to be a malicious child, trying to do something wrong for this board. I simply asked some questions! I want to discuss something I've always been confused by. I didn't know that was such a crime. I didn't say anything about Bruce. I said things could've been possibilities, but I never said they were facts, or even opinions! You're putting words into my mouth, and in fact, you're being more childish than I am.
Boy, some people cannot admit when they are wrong or have a made a bad decision. Has to be the times, I suppose.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2015, 04:09:26 PM »

I agree.  A lot of the posts on this board now come across as childish.  Less and less discussion about the music. How about the new Analogue Productions releases or the UMe vinyl?  These topics quickly drop down the board in favour of pages of 'discussion' like his thread.

Nate are you saying Bruce has a form of Alzheimer's?  If not, then what are you saying as you've said he's a very knowledgeable musician. Have you heard Bruce playing over the years?  Do you seriously think he doesn't know what he's doing?  Do you not think for a second he could switch on his piano and play all the songs?  Do you think he woke up one day and could not remember any of the songs? Why are people even asking these questions?  He chooses to not play, as Ron said, because he doesn't need to anymore.  He enjoys the other stuff and the red wine as SWD said!

Boy, some people cannot admit when they are wrong or have a made a bad decision. Has to be the times, I suppose.

I would be the first to admit I made a mistake, if I believed I did. But I come on this site everyday to talk about the BBs and that's what I was doing.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2015, 05:37:56 PM »

I would be the first to admit I made a mistake, if I believed I did. But I come on this site everyday to talk about the BBs and that's what I was doing.

I noticed on another thread you've now said Dennis' keyboard was inaudible and asked how good a player he was.  A pattern is emerging.  Listening to Dennis' music I'd say he was a very good keyboard player. 

What is your theory/opinion on Bruce?

You're entitled to ask questions by all means but when you get your answer you and some others on here recently don't seem to want to let it go.  So many people looking for agendas and hidden meanings, reading too much into what is said by various people.  Let's try to get back to the music and appreciate the band and all the music they've made over the years.  That's all I'm trying to say.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2015, 05:40:58 PM »

Okay, in the world of the BBs, some things are considered 100% factual. For example...
1 Brian Wilson is a genius
2 Pet Sounds is a great album
3 There are too many compilations...

Am I right? Those are considered facts among BBs fans!

Oh yeah, and there's another thing--- Bruce makes a fool of himself on stage!!!

So, Bruce is an incredible keyboardist (Hal Blaine said he was the best he'd ever worked with) and he's a proficient bassist. Yet on stage, he stands behind his keyboard, playing it occasionally (Although it makes no sound), but for 75% of the time, he prances around the stage; clapping, waving, pointing, shrugging and laughing oddly (you know what I mean...), he acts like Mike's cheerleader. I just don't get it! Some people say he doesn't play really keys anymore because of old age and his hands hurt. Well, clapping for a few hours every night has gotta hurt your hands even more! Plus, he's been doing this since the mid 80's! Prior to about '88ish (give or take a few years) Bruce would always play crucial keyboard parts or bass! And he played those parts really well. And he'd also occasionally play saxophone or guitar! That takes talent to be such a proficient multi-instrumentalist. But ever since the mid 80's he cheerleads like I said above. And when he actually touches his keyboard, it doesn't take a genius to realize it's inaudible.

SO---
Is there anyone on this board who knows why this is the case? Perhaps someone who has talked to, or even been on stage with Bruce?
I just don't get!

Not only that, but while I'm on the subject--- Bruce is an incredible producer, arranger, and songwriter. So why the hell, would he not do any of those things since, really, the SIP album?!?

I love Bruce, and think he's a talented guy. Anyone who sings the outro on GOK, wrote classics Disney Girls and I Write The Songs, was a session guitarist, keyboardist, and drummer at 15, and won a grammy is insanely talented

SOMEONE EXPLAIN!

Comment:  

Bruce is neither a FOOL nor a STAGE PROP.  I spoke with him, in person, and at length about 8 months ago. He is in good health, having fun on the road, and involved in projects most fans don't know about. He may drink a little too much red wine before the show, thus making his movements more freely animated than the normally conservative Bruce would do, but none of this should warrant your description of him in concert.

As far as some kind of explanation is concerned . . .  I think what you need is a Back Stage Pass. That would provide you the first-hand details of how a concert show works so that you would understand. Given that experience, you might possibly withdraw your critical observations. But until then, the view from the audience is not sufficient to render an explanation.
~swd

Must say this surprised me. I seem to remember years ago he kind of said he was a 'Pacifico' beer occasionally kind of guy.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2015, 05:47:39 PM »

It seems like to some it's not cool to question Bruce's stage antics. If he took it up a notch and just danced and waved with no mic, would that be allowed to be discussed? Probably not, because Bruce is a skilled keyboardist. I think many missed the point of the original poster's questions.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2015, 06:00:18 PM »

For the record I would prefer Bruce to stand behind his keyboard and play and sing more, like he did pretty much up until 1998.  But I understand why he doesn't.  The OP has also been given an answer by Ron which he said he could understand but then went on to ask more questions relating to Bruce not knowing what he's doing.  That's bordering on trolling.

Bruce is coasting to a large extent and unfortunately in my opinion it takes away from the legitimacy of the Beach Boys show as it's really only Mike that is left holding the baton (before 1998 there were 4 fully functioning Beach Boys on stage in a musical sense, now there is one).  However, I'm not knocking the show they put on as a whole.  The touring Beach Boys are still well worth seeing and they have a great band set up.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2015, 06:02:37 PM »

For the record I would prefer Bruce to stand behind his keyboard and play and sing more, like he did pretty much up until 1998.  But I understand why he doesn't.  The OP has also been given an answer by Ron which he said he could understand but then went on to ask more questions relating to Bruce not knowing what he's doing.  That's bordering on trolling.

Bruce is coasting to a large extent and unfortunately in my opinion it takes away from the legitimacy of the Beach Boys show as it's really only Mike that is left holding the baton (before 1998 there were 4 fully functioning Beach Boys on stage in a musical sense, now there is one).  However, I'm not knocking the show they put on as a whole.  The touring Beach Boys are still well worth seeing and they have a great band set up.

This is where OSD and Smile Brian come in...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2015, 06:03:37 PM »

It seems like to some it's not cool to question Bruce's stage antics. If he took it up a notch and just danced and waved with no mic, would that be allowed to be discussed? Probably not, because Bruce is a skilled keyboardist. I think many missed the point of the original poster's questions.
Not 6 pages worth. So far, it has not been about the antics so much as questioning his capability, which we know that he is a very capable musician. So, what's the freakin' point?  You guys are beating a dead horse.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2015, 06:08:39 PM »

Not 6 pages worth. So far, it has not been about the antics so much as questioning his capability, which we know that he is a very capable musician. So, what's the freakin' point?  You guys are beating a dead horse.

Agreed!  Grin
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2015, 06:51:58 PM »

Actually it was most respondents who erroneously answered the original posters questions by stating what a great musician Bruce is. If the post had been read correctly, it would have been noted that Bruce can play well. Nothing wrong with discussing it. Cue bass solo.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:38:49 PM by joe_blow » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2015, 07:27:51 PM »

We have beaten a dead horse.
And I'll repeat, I'm not trolling!
Also, I have mentioned thinking Al, Bruce, and Denny have all been inaudible at times. I think it's a huge possibility. They are all extremely talented. I think Al and Bruce choose to coast, and it's a possibility there were times Denny wasn't able to play due to intoxication. I would've let this thread go to rest, if people didn't start accusing me of being a troll.
If you look at my actions on this website, you can see I try to post meaningful and well mannered posts. I really enjoy visiting this website and speaking with you all about the Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:28:56 PM by NateRuvin » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2015, 02:50:22 AM »

We have beaten a dead horse.
And I'll repeat, I'm not trolling!
Also, I have mentioned thinking Al, Bruce, and Denny have all been inaudible at times. I think it's a huge possibility. They are all extremely talented. I think Al and Bruce choose to coast, and it's a possibility there were times Denny wasn't able to play due to intoxication. I would've let this thread go to rest, if people didn't start accusing me of being a troll.
If you look at my actions on this website, you can see I try to post meaningful and well mannered posts. I really enjoy visiting this website and speaking with you all about the Beach Boys.

And I hope you keep coming back and posting as I can tell you obviously love the Beach Boys and the music and that's what it's all about at the end of the day.  Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx