gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:22:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Friends of Dennis Wilson / Dennymania  (Read 3134 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 17, 2015, 04:49:32 PM »

I remember when I was a young teenager in the '90s, there was a sort of home-made fanzine that I used to get ... I'm sure the old-timers here remember it.

Anyway, I seem to recall seeing a reprint of a handwritten Christmas card that Dennis sent to the fan club ... If my memory is correct, I believe it said something like, "Thank you to all of my fans who took the time to write to me in the Dennymania newsletter", and was dated very close to the end (maybe December 23, 1983?).

Kind of interesting that Dennis was writing Christmas cards/fan letters during this period ... it's always been assumed that Dennis was sort of "out of it" at this time, but this would suggest he might have been a little more together.

Any thoughts or memories? Anyone have a scan of this card?

Donny

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:58:21 PM by DonnyL » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 09:14:41 PM »

I remember when I was a young teenager in the '90s, there was a sort of home-made fanzine that I used to get ... I'm sure the old-timers here remember it.

Anyway, I seem to recall seeing a reprint of a handwritten Christmas card that Dennis sent to the fan club ... If my memory is correct, I believe it said something like, "Thank you to all of my fans who took the time to write to me in the Dennymania newsletter", and was dated very close to the end (maybe December 23, 1983?).

Kind of interesting that Dennis was writing Christmas cards/fan letters during this period ... it's always been assumed that Dennis was sort of "out of it" at this time, but this would suggest he might have been a little more together.

Donny

I was a subscriber and I've got that issue in a box in my basement...just saw it the other day. Unless someone beats me to it (and feel free to do so), I'll try and get it uploaded here.
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 09:30:10 PM »

Donny

I was a subscriber and I've got that issue in a box in my basement...just saw it the other day. Unless someone beats me to it (and feel free to do so), I'll try and get it uploaded here.

Hope it's ok to link to your thread with scan over on Pet Sounds forum, if it isn't I'll delete this.
http://petsoundsforum.com/thread/2076/dennis-final-christmas-message

Really touching if sad (date looks like it could be the 23rd)  Cry
Text is "Dear Chris,
Please send my warmest holiday wishes to all the nice people
who have taken the time to write to me in the Dennymania newsletter.
Sincerely, (signature)" Love

It may be dictated but I believe the words and feelings behind them were real.

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
Beckgtr09
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long......

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 06:11:04 PM »

I've been a subscriber of this club since 1992. I can see if my scanner will work, and I'll do what I can in scanning a shot of what you are asking for.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 06:36:14 PM »

I've been a subscriber of this club since 1992. I can see if my scanner will work, and I'll do what I can in scanning a shot of what you are asking for.

I've got a scan of that, and actually posted it on...another board...I tried to post it here, but can't seem to be able to work the attachment tool!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 10:58:53 AM »

Glad to hear Denny was Denny to fans until the very end... Cry

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 03:24:33 PM »

I've got a scan of that, and actually posted it on...another board...I tried to post it here, but can't seem to be able to work the attachment tool!

linked it 5 posts up - hope that's ok.
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22540.msg626874.html#msg626874

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx