gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:18:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would Al have had more lead vocals if he'd never quit in '62?  (Read 16662 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2016, 06:48:29 AM »

So Mike is the most lead singer at 140, Brian is right behind at 132, Carl at 91, then Al is 4th at 49, Dennis 29, Bruce 13, and David 1. So far. Subject to inaccuracy.

You could certainly argue that Al (and Dennis and Bruce and Dave) got less than his fair share of leads if that was the way bands worked.

Are unreleased songs ("My Solution", "Sweet and Bitter", etc.) also being counted?

I wouldn't and didn't, but why not?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2016, 03:53:40 PM »

It's easy to label Mike as the lead singer because he never played an instrument whereas everyone else in the band did. But it's a little more complicated than that. Mike was certainly the lead singer from 61 until Pet Sounds. Then it is pretty split during concerts ( in fact Mike only had a few leads in many early 70s shows and those were the oldies pretty much. Until the post 15 Big Ones era when Mike started to get most of the leads again.  This was even more so as the 80s and 90s wore on.  By the late 90s Carl and Al were singing less than they ever did.  Overall, you'd have to say he was the lead singer...but that doesn't mean as much to the BB as other bands because there are such other great vocalists.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2016, 04:04:51 PM »

When describing the Beatles, people often refer to the prolific songwriting team (ahem...) of Lennon/McCartney. I don't know that I have ever seen either described as "the lead singer of the Beatles". Of course, both also played instruments. If Mike had actually learned to play that sax, maybe this issue wouldn't have come up.
Edit: oops, my bad! I just watched some of those MTV-era BB's videos. I'd forgotten about Mike playing sax on Kokomo and Summer in Paradise! Roll Eyes
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2016, 04:43:02 PM »

Emily, I don't think anyone here is claiming that Mike is the lead singer of the Beach Boys or that he should be recognized as such. You said:
As you can see, people here are claiming that Mike is or was the lead singer. It's not only "journalists writing half-assed write-ups."
but you can understand an idea, or try to, without holding it yourself, and I think most of the responses, including mine, have been trying to do that. And to understand an idea you have to look at those holding it...
As I've said, I'd seen him called the lead singer on this board. There continue to be people on this board asserting it, right in this thread alongside the counter-evidence. So, if I look at journalists holding that opinion, then not playing an instrument, holding the mike, etc. might make sense. But I was wondering about people on this board and why they have that opinion. Given that no sound reason has been offered, I conclude that it's political.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2016, 04:51:30 PM »

When describing the Beatles, people often refer to the prolific songwriting team (ahem...) of Lennon/McCartney. I don't know that I have ever seen either described as "the lead singer of the Beatles". Of course, both also played instruments. If Mike had actually learned to play that sax, maybe this issue wouldn't have come up.
Edit: oops, my bad! I just watched some of those MTV-era BB's videos. I'd forgotten about Mike playing sax on Kokomo and Summer in Paradise! Roll Eyes

Sometimes I wonder if Mike would have gotten more respect (and would have more respect today) if he properly learned a musical instrument beyond just dabbling a tiny bit, and then abandoning the sax. No, he doesn't have to, no he can stick with singing and being an emcee if that's all he *wants* to do... not a conversation about what he should or shouldn't do... just the fact that perhaps if he had become an essential instrumental part of the band, maybe people would pick on him just a little bit less.
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2016, 04:55:53 PM »

The problems that people have with Mike are not related to his lack of proficiency on an instrument.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2016, 05:43:13 PM »

The problems that people have with Mike are not related to his lack of proficiency on an instrument.

That's true. But it is nevertheless something that people dog him about, even if they are irked about other stuff.
Sjöman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2016, 02:51:43 AM »

As you can see, people here are claiming that Mike is or was the lead singer. It's not only "journalists writing half-assed write-ups."

I concede, you're right.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx