gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:06:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Fleetwood Mac/BB connection  (Read 10642 times)
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2015, 03:21:43 PM »

Lindsey B'ham is an unabashed fan of Brian's work and has done various tributes. I sense a particularly strong influence on the Tusk album. We know that Dennis was one of Christine's great loves. Stories of her worshiping the ground Dennis walked on are not rare and I'm guessing the rest of The Mac LOVED having the man around. My dad used to drive me past a house in Laurel Canyon when I was young saying "That's where Dennis Wilson once drove Christine McVie's Rolls Royce into a pool" lol. Maybe some of you session date experts (poking AGD with a nicotine stained finger) can let us in on the overlap between The Mac and The Boys physically being present during some important recordings?

Some evidence of such connection:

Lindsey Buckingham - DW Suite (tribute to Dennis, supposedly written in the style of the SMiLE music)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAIdrbYiUB0

Brian Wilson - He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body To Move (Love and Mercy B-Side cowritten by Lindsey)
https://youtu.be/eFGKk0rPq4Q

Fleetwood Mac - Farmers Daughter (BBs cover)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkKceP-HeRs

Fleetwood Mac - Hold Me (Christine's tribute to Dennis)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAbfPDZdEBU

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 03:23:18 PM by chaki » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 03:29:14 PM »

The notes to the CD reissue of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk describe "That's All For Everyone" as having music "worthy of Brian Wilson's hymnbook". Wonderfully put. A stunning track it is too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJeikZr5xN4

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 03:31:48 PM »

Seriously - I never understood the glory of Tusk, and That's All For Everyone in particular, until hearing it blasted on a huge soundsystem. The incredible harmonies panning back and forth. I think it's my favorite production on any album ever.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 01:12:08 AM »

My dad used to drive me past a house in Laurel Canyon when I was young saying "That's where Dennis Wilson once drove Christine McVie's Rolls Royce into a pool" lol.

All due respect to your father, but I think he's confusing his drummers. Dennis never drove a car into a pool (that's Moonie's domain): all he did was set fire to Christie's pool house.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 12:20:16 PM »

Yah I realized it was bs as I got older but hey this was pre-internet rockstar legend stuff y'know?
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »

Buckingham to me is Brian's true inheritor.  Unlike most Wilson disciples, he took Brian's sound and went somewhere totally new with it (e.g. layering different guitar textures).  His production work on TUSK is revelatory.  Love that record.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 09:17:13 PM »

"That's All For Everyone" hooked me from the get-go back in '79. To Adam's point, I've always admired the layered vocal sound Lindsey got with his backgrounds, and how he made a trademark out of panning them back-and-forth in rapid succession. If you haven't heard "Law And Order" or "Go Insane", his first two solo albums, be sure and do so!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 01:22:19 PM »

I have a great Lindsey Buckingham story.

I was working at a law office in the late '90s and I think LB was going to the place across the hall to do his estate planning.  As it happens, we both got in the elevator for a ride down at the same time - him, his SO, and two other people.  We had to go down about ten floors, and all the way down I could see LB kind of looking at me a little nervously out of the corner of his eye because I think he knew I was the only one in the elevator who might recognize him and was worried I might pester him for an autograph or something.  I didn't say a word.

When we got to my floor, I turned, looked him in the eye, and said:  "D.W. Suite." and put my thumb up, and walked out.  LB seemed to be totally gobsmacked and I heard him kind of stammer out, "wow...thank you."

That was a great moment.

Guy is one of my heroes.  Some of the Fleetwood Mac stuff is just breathtaking.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 01:23:37 PM by adamghost » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 02:20:13 PM »

I have a great Lindsey Buckingham story.

I was working at a law office in the late '90s and I think LB was going to the place across the hall to do his estate planning.  As it happens, we both got in the elevator for a ride down at the same time - him, his SO, and two other people.  We had to go down about ten floors, and all the way down I could see LB kind of looking at me a little nervously out of the corner of his eye because I think he knew I was the only one in the elevator who might recognize him and was worried I might pester him for an autograph or something.  I didn't say a word.

When we got to my floor, I turned, looked him in the eye, and said:  "D.W. Suite." and put my thumb up, and walked out.  LB seemed to be totally gobsmacked and I heard him kind of stammer out, "wow...thank you."

That was a great moment.

Guy is one of my heroes.  Some of the Fleetwood Mac stuff is just breathtaking.

Wow...thank you, Adam.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 02:50:16 PM »

Here's one for ya...November 2004, I'm in L.A. at the Walt Disney Theatre performance of BWPS (second night) with Eric Anniversario. Our seats were on the upper tier, and from there we could see both Lindsey Buckingham and Van Dyke Parks enter below and take their seats in the first few rows (after the show, we also spotted both Danny Hutton and Wendy Wilson, but that's beside the point). Intermission comes, and I have to take a leak. I head to the upstairs men's room, and am confronted with a long-ass line. Desiring to use the head (and stealthily change the tape in my digital recorder) in time to make it back for the second set, I descend down one level, easily slipping past the red velvet rope designed to stop me from doing so. I find the men's room there, and out walks LB. No one else around, just me and him. I call out "Lindsey!", and blurted out my praise and admiration for him. He stops, shakes my hand, and we have a nice chat for a minute or so. Told him how I had just seen FM in Omaha the previous year (to which he looked shocked) and what a great show I thought it was (I'd also been fortunate enough to have seen them with Christine in '97). He said thanks, and then said "Isn't it great to see Brian in this place?" I readily agreed, and off we went - him to his seat, me to the john (which, coincidentally or not, was fragrantly filled with the sweet smell of recently-smoked herbs). It was then I realized that the tape recorder, still hidden in my pocket, had captured our entire conversation! A nice keepsake of a chance encounter with one of my idols. I only wish I'd thought to ask him about the session for "He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body To Move"! 
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 09:52:03 PM »

Great stories Adam and Craig!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 10:03:12 PM »

I'm guessing the rest of The Mac LOVED having the man around.

You sure about that? 
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 04:51:04 AM »

Not that it's important but a photograph of Dennis appears on one of the covers of Tusk.

I love LB's DW Suite.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 07:08:57 AM »

Another connection: Jenny Boyd -- Mick Fleetwood's future first wife -- was in Rishikesh studying with the Maharishi the same time as Mike Love.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 11:53:23 AM »

Another connection: Michael Bernard, Brian's personal synth programmer for BW '88 and Sweet Insanity, toured with the Mac as a keyboardist in 2004, according to Wikipedia, and assuming it's the same Michael Bernard.

Another connection: Joe Thomas produced the 2004 "Fleetwood Mac in Boston" DVD (as well as, I'm sure, the Soundstage appearances by Lindsey and Stevie).
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 05:31:00 PM »

During a chat with Lindsey a few years back, I asked him his thoughts on Dennis, and he said (among other things), this. . .

"He was kind of a lost guy. He was a very talented guy -- way more talented than he had the structure to be able to exhibit. Y'know, he had a lot going on without the tools to sort of get there -- that's my opinion anyway. He was a real sweetheart. He was also a rogue. Y'know, he was that rogue element."
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 05:48:50 PM »

Threads like this are what this place should be about.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 10:13:27 PM »

Good stuff.  Delightful to hear the joy these encounters have brought to some of you.    fun to share isn't it?     Saw FM on their first tour with LB and SN.......went not knowing Bob Welch was gone.    Small venue.    LB doing Welch songs.   SN swirling around the stage.      Great melding of talent took me by surprise.      Had no idea LB would become such a revered rocker and producer of music.  Or that that girl swirling about would become so legendary.   Or that they would all be on stage together again in four decades.      Smiley
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 02:47:13 PM »

During a chat with Lindsey a few years back, I asked him his thoughts on Dennis, and he said (among other things), this. . .

"He was kind of a lost guy. He was a very talented guy -- way more talented than he had the structure to be able to exhibit. Y'know, he had a lot going on without the tools to sort of get there -- that's my opinion anyway. He was a real sweetheart. He was also a rogue. Y'know, he was that rogue element."

Haha! Great description of Dennis in such a very Lindsey way.. not far off from this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaM6gTUTooc
exposedbrain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 06:21:49 PM »

Q: You've mentioned that Brian was one of your biggest inspirations. Is that mainly in terms of songwriting, production . . .?

A: Not really in terms of production much, thought I like what he did with the Beach Boys stuff. I admire him most as a melodic writer, an arranger, and a vocal orchestrator. When people think of Brian they think of "Little Deuce Coupe" and "I Get Around" which are great songs, but there's also "Wind Chimes" [a bizarre tune on the largely psychedelic Smiley Smile] and all those other obscure but beautiful pieces of work. "Wind Chimes" is a classic. No one has done anything like it since. Even a lot of his later work stands up real well. Beach Boys Love You had great songs on it, great tunes with great arrangements, but it just sailed over the heads of everyone and didn't sell as a result.

http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/stillgoinginsane_old/articles/198101.html
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 01:28:38 AM »

Q: You've mentioned that Brian was one of your biggest inspirations. Is that mainly in terms of songwriting, production . . .?

A: Not really in terms of production much, thought I like what he did with the Beach Boys stuff. I admire him most as a melodic writer, an arranger, and a vocal orchestrator. When people think of Brian they think of "Little Deuce Coupe" and "I Get Around" which are great songs, but there's also "Wind Chimes" [a bizarre tune on the largely psychedelic Smiley Smile] and all those other obscure but beautiful pieces of work. "Wind Chimes" is a classic. No one has done anything like it since. Even a lot of his later work stands up real well. Beach Boys Love You had great songs on it, great tunes with great arrangements, but it just sailed over the heads of everyone and didn't sell as a result.

http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/stillgoinginsane_old/articles/198101.html

Thanks for sharing this! It's great to know Lindsey is a fan of stuff like Love You and Smiley Smile. Smiley
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 05:47:03 AM »

Here's one for ya...November 2004, I'm in L.A. at the Walt Disney Theatre performance of BWPS (second night) with Eric Anniversario. Our seats were on the upper tier, and from there we could see both Lindsey Buckingham and Van Dyke Parks enter below and take their seats in the first few rows (after the show, we also spotted both Danny Hutton and Wendy Wilson, but that's beside the point). Intermission comes, and I have to take a leak. I head to the upstairs men's room, and am confronted with a long-ass line. Desiring to use the head (and stealthily change the tape in my digital recorder) in time to make it back for the second set, I descend down one level, easily slipping past the red velvet rope designed to stop me from doing so. I find the men's room there, and out walks LB. No one else around, just me and him. I call out "Lindsey!", and blurted out my praise and admiration for him. He stops, shakes my hand, and we have a nice chat for a minute or so. Told him how I had just seen FM in Omaha the previous year (to which he looked shocked) and what a great show I thought it was (I'd also been fortunate enough to have seen them with Christine in '97). He said thanks, and then said "Isn't it great to see Brian in this place?" I readily agreed, and off we went - him to his seat, me to the john (which, coincidentally or not, was fragrantly filled with the sweet smell of recently-smoked herbs). It was then I realized that the tape recorder, still hidden in my pocket, had captured our entire conversation! A nice keepsake of a chance encounter with one of my idols. I only wish I'd thought to ask him about the session for "He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body To Move"! 

I was at the first night at Walt Disney Theatre and sat behind another great fan of Brian - Mick Fleetwood and his wife!  When Van Dyke entered the theatre to take his seat and people started applauding Mick asked "who is that" and I told him it was Van.  Next to Mick was . . . John Stamos.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »

Been listening to a lot of Buckingham's work lately and came across this and I love it.

https://johnnywestmusic.wordpress.com/2008/05/29/a-two-a-three-a-four/

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2017, 04:27:57 AM »

Always thought Christine wrote "Wish You Were Here" on Mirage for Dennis. Truly that is a great track!
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 08:14:23 AM »

Always thought Christine wrote "Wish You Were Here" on Mirage for Dennis. Truly that is a great track!

I find Dennis in so many of Christine's songs, especially ones like "Isn't It Midnight".  Howie recently said he's sure "Red Sun", from the new Buckingham/McVie album is about Dennis.  Christine often told me that all of her relationship songs come from past relationships/memories, even when they have the flavor of a love just beginning
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx