gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:33:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Seasons In The Sun  (Read 3249 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2006, 08:49:52 PM »

I like the performance. Drumming is nifty too.

Bad rep not agreed with on my part.

I'm making threads like punkinhead now.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 08:54:27 PM »

It's ok. Terry Jacks was recently interviewed on TV about the track and mentioned that Brian and Mike both acted up at the sessions and doesn't think that it was given a fair chance by the band.

Well, he had his only it with it, so he shouldn't complain.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 09:15:22 PM »

Of all the lame-brained ideas the band had (and they had MANY), they recorded that shitty translation of a Jacques Brel classic. First, no less. An absolute sh*t song.

Rod McKuen's translations of Jacques Brel's songs were so incorrect and false, it's a wonder anyone took them seriously. Scott Walker's English renditions of Brel's songs work if only for the drama Walker brings to them.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 09:18:44 PM »

I think it's a very touching song. Especially with Carl Wilson crooning the words out.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 10:42:11 PM »

Of all the lame-brained ideas the band had (and they had MANY), they recorded that merdaty translation of a Jacques Brel classic. First, no less. An absolute merda song.

Rod McKuen's translations of Jacques Brel's songs were so incorrect and false, it's a wonder anyone took them seriously. Scott Walker's English renditions of Brel's songs work if only for the drama Walker brings to them.

additional info on Seasons...

http://www.superseventies.com/1974_3singles.html

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 11:18:53 PM »

funny...my posts are always my appreciation of quirky odd songs? wierd...people are noticing and taking down notes & posting in a punkin-sorta-way

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 02:03:03 AM »

I fully agree. Jacques Brel's lyrics are much darker and ambiguous. I would never call Rod McKuen's lyrics "translations".

His "adaption" of "Ne Me Quitte Pas" ("If You Go Away", Dusty Springfield, Frank Sinatra,...) is equally bad and turns Brel's devastating depressed lyrics into a lightweight song.
MBE
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 01:59:55 PM »

I think the guitar part is kinda cool at the intro the rest was benith them. Brian and Mike were smart to NOT take this seriously. Carl sounds like he is about to laugh and if you listen to the back up after "it's hard to die" so does Brian.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 03:41:28 PM »

It seems Mike didn't take Pet Sounds seriously either.

GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 06:56:17 PM »

I think the guitar part is kinda cool at the intro the rest was benith them. Brian and Mike were smart to NOT take this seriously. Carl sounds like he is about to laugh and if you listen to the back up after "it's hard to die" so does Brian.
Carl's vocal is beautiful though.

Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 12:11:42 AM »

is this officially released, or is it a b**tl*g?  either way, where can i find it?
MBE
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 07:07:37 AM »

Carl's vocal is beautiful though.

Agreed he still has his "young" voice but I don't care for the song really.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx