gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:42:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Circus magazine  (Read 5764 times)
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2006, 08:08:10 AM »

anyone here remember this rag?....i bought every copy from like august of 74 till probably early 79. Visually it was Fantastic especially for a KISS fan like me. KISS was on the cover, every other issue. the writing was O.K. it was not Creem or even Hit Parader it was more like a rock n' roll people magazine with articles about TV show's , movies etc.
i found this online a Top 20 Fan voted album list from Dec. of 77:
1. Love Gun -Kiss
2. Cat Scratch fever -Ted Nugent
3. Going for the one -Yes
4. a Farewell to kings -Rush
5. Foreigner-Foreigner
6. Rumours -Fleetwood Mac
7. Little Queen-Heart
8. Foghat Live-Foghat
9. I'm in you-peter Frampton ( remember this stinker??)
10. Derringer LIVE !!!!!!
11. Live on stage -Blackmores Rainbow
12. book of dreams-steve miller band
13. love you live -the stones
14. Lights out -UFO
15. even in the quietest moments-Supertramp
16. Bad Reputation -Thin Lizzy
17. Grand Illusion -Styx
18. Point of no return-Kansas
19. OOP's wrong Planet- UTOPIA (excellent album !!)
20. In Color -Cheap Trick (another Excellent album

WHAT A LINEUP !!!.......brings back ton's of memories.god i haven't heard those Kansas and Styx albums since 77!!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 12:12:58 PM »

I recall Circus as being a sort of teen beat with groovy pix for music geek boys.  Aiming for a little younger age group at the time than say, Rolling Stone.

I found a bunch of these teen mags at a flea market awhile back.  Fun reading.  One even had a really terrible review of the MIU album.  The reviewer asked; " When is this hoax going to stop?  These guys haven't released any decent material for years!"
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 12:48:59 PM »

I own three issues I bought used, one from 1979 about who Circus thought were the most important people of the 70's, one on Yes' Drama album and tour and one issue on the Who's breakup in '83 that also had a review of Pete's Scoop double album. Def Leopard are on the cover of that one.  Lips Sealed  :D
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 01:09:55 PM »

I read it nearly monthly in the late '80s, when it was all bands like Motely Crue, Poison, KISS, etc...the pop-metal set, mostly. I loved that stuff as I was just beginning to play guitar (easy as it was: "wow, I can play like Ace Frehley and CC DeVille!"), and thus the magazine. Who's drumming for whom, and why did so-and-so get a new guitarist?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 01:17:07 PM »

i started reading circus around 74..i think in the early day's it was pretty cool. Cover stories on Freddie Mercury,aerosmith,zep , bowie as the 70's wore on it got  cheaper looking , the paper stock got flimsy. Kurt Loder use to write for them ..i think a lot of guy's jumped from Circus to RS. i didn't even know that circus was still publishing ??
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 01:20:51 PM »

I read it nearly monthly in the late '80s, when it was all bands like Motely Crue, Poison, KISS, etc...the pop-metal set, mostly. I loved that stuff as I was just beginning to play guitar (easy as it was: "wow, I can play like Ace Frehley and CC DeVille!"),
I Love ACE !!!...i just listened to Shock Me ....
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 01:23:03 PM »

That's hilarious! I can't quite say with any degree of honesty that I love or listen to that stuff anymore (or even have it...all was on cassette, long since tossed, and not re-purchased). But I do have a soft spot for any music I ever loved, regardless of what I think of it now.

And as for Ace, oh yeah...the '78 solo album. Speedin' back to my baby...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 01:27:53 PM »

His 1978 solo album is great ..no matter what you think of the music.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 02:56:14 PM »

Yes, that's an amzing album.
Snowblind, Speedin' Back, New York Groove, Fractured Mirror. Amazing songs.
A lot of Gene's is great too.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
trumpet sounds
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 07:38:46 PM »

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 07:39:40 PM »

I didn't need to see that.

Shocked

mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 06:42:52 AM »

i was just looking at that Hall and Oates Circus magazine this past weekend , and that issue has a GREAT pictorial on Elvis . Some shot's i have never seen before, ......and yes i like the Gene Simmons solo album . Living in Sin at the Holiday inn.....hysterical !!!!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 08:04:59 AM »

Yeah, I used to get this thing as a kid. Looking back at old issues is a real hoot!

Krokus?!?
Evenreven
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 08:31:49 AM »

That Hall & Oates Circus cover is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Something about the look on Oates' face reminds of Lionel Richie's clay afro, y'know that ol' clay afro feelin'?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx