gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:39:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Wrecking Crew Today...  (Read 9499 times)
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2006, 05:39:52 AM »

I am wondering what the folks from the wrecking crew are doing these days.  It seems that every time the subject of a Beach Boys/Brian reunion comes up, someone brings up the wrecking crew.  I've seen all of the documentaries, and I am wondering if some of these people even play anymore.  Hal is looking pretty old, and Carole is shown playing on a few of the docs, and she appeared to be using sheet music to play the Good Vibrations bassline.  After all, these guys (and gals) are, for the most part, older than the Beach Boys.  So, are any of the folks still involved in the recording industry?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 05:56:39 AM »

Sadly, some of the main players are no longer with us:

Steve Douglas, April 19th 1993
Tommy Tedesco, November 10th 1997
Barney Kessell, May 6th 2004

and an honorary member:

Chuck Britz, August 21st 2000

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
XY
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 06:25:03 AM »

Stop calling those session musicians "Wrecking Crew"! Mrs. Kaye once nearly flipped out after I mentioned this name.

Sat May 21, 2005 10:18 am
Books by Kenneth Badman who the Musicians Federations Unions almost sued for printing our stolen Musicians Recording Contracts blatantly listing our personal ID data (leaving us open criminally for ID theft), Andrew Doe (#################), and all are all error-ridden and totally off the wall....no respecting journalists calls us 'wrecking crew', they know the truth.

The above authors should be held criminally liable for the theft and criminal uses of printing of our ID, wrecking our lives and our credit....how can you believe these kinds of people? Brad Elliot is another criminal who was sued by Brian Wilson for theft...

:D
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 07:41:24 AM »

Carol Kaye plays some bass on Frank Black's new album "Fast Man / Raider Man". She appears to have been the most active in session work of the original "crew" (or whatever you want to call them) over the past few years, although I still spot harmonica work from Tommy Morgan now and again.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 08:40:21 AM »

Moreover, why has no one reassembled the remaining session musicians since they are all still players??
When you're their age, the ego-trip has long since left the building and one's just happy to be playing.
Hmmm.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 09:37:06 AM »

Lyle Ritz:  Now a ukelele master living in washington state, I think.
Al De Lory:  Still around LA, aldelory.com
Don Randi:  Owns the "baked potato" jazz club in LA.
Earl Palmer:  Still going at 94 years old.
Chuck Berghofer:  Still active as a bass player in LA.
Billy Strange:  Living in Nashville, getting up there in age, but maintains a website, billystrangemusic.com
Glen Campbell and Leon Russell:  still solid solo acts, if not tipsy ones...
Bill Pitman is still alive
Frank Capp is still around, I believe Julius Wechter is as well.
Joe Osborn is still a popular bass player in Nashville
Not sure what Larry Knechtel is up to.
Jim Gordon is in jail for killing his mother.

A few more that passed away:

Jay Migliori
Ray Pohlman

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 10:52:44 AM »

I'm afraid Julius Wechter passed away in 1999.

Here's what Frank Capp's up to this summer:
http://www.ofam.org/festival.aspx?artist=9&series=1054
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 10:56:35 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 01:50:13 PM »

See... could still assemble a pretty great group of oldies but goodies to sessionize! Would that be the greatest frickin' thing or what?!! If I had the loot, I'd try to do it. If pulled together correctly and produced well, imagine what this could produce!
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 02:06:11 PM »

What's the story on Brad Elliott?  Why is he a "criminal?"

Glenn
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 02:07:58 PM »

ever send him any money??     LOL

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 02:56:38 PM »

Uh... no.  Why would I?

Seriously.  I know the name, but almost nothing about him.

Glenn
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 03:29:22 PM »

Stop calling those session musicians "Wrecking Crew"! Mrs. Kaye once nearly flipped out after I mentioned this name.

Books by Kenneth Badman who the Musicians Federations Unions almost sued for printing our stolen Musicians Recording Contracts blatantly listing our personal ID data (leaving us open criminally for ID theft), Andrew Doe (#################), and all are all error-ridden and totally off the wall....no respecting journalists calls us 'wrecking crew', they know the truth.

The above authors should be held criminally liable for the theft and criminal uses of printing of our ID, wrecking our lives and our credit....how can you believe these kinds of people? Brad Elliot is another criminal who was sued by Brian Wilson for theft...

:D

Interesting... I don't recall ever printing Carol's SS number (which I fully agree was an incredibly stupid thing to do), and I'm well aware of the handful of errors in my books, and strove to correct them for the 2nd edition. My book is so totally 'off the wall' as to actually dare to list all the songs recorded by the Beach Boys - I mean, just how left-field is that ? I'm in awe at myself.

And as for "wrecking our lives and our credit", well, two words for you, Carol:

James Jamerson.

Whatever else I may have done in my documenting of the life and music of Brian Wilson & The Beach Boys, I have never stooped so low as to claim someone else's work as my own. I used to be angry at Carol for this kind of thing, but now... I'm just sad and sorry for her - if I'm the best target she can find to flail away at, well...

Jasper, just for my own curiosity, what was replaced by the ##### ? PM me if it's not suitable for public dispersal. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 03:37:06 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 03:38:57 PM »

When was Brad sued by Brian? I mean, he IS a crook, but this is the first I've heard of it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 03:47:57 PM »

Uh... no.  Why would I?

Seriously.  I know the name, but almost nothing about him.

Thumbnail history - excellent BB historian & researcher of the late 70s/early 80s and onwards, who engineered his own downfall by:

1. Announcing BB-related projects, getting fans to fund them but not finishing the project and, in several cases, not refunding the monies advanced. In one case, the sum is very substantial.

2. Bootlegging tapes given to him by other fans on the understanding they would not be copied: someone had the smarts to put a tracker on some of them and surprise ! it turned up on an 80's vinyl boot.

Last heard of in early 2004 when the reprints of his excellent 1961-1981 discography were published. I understand quite a few people would be very happy to know where he is now.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 03:54:11 PM »

The above authors should be held criminally liable for the theft and criminal uses of printing of our ID, wrecking our lives and our credit....how can you believe these kinds of people?

Just realised exactly what she's saying. Wonder if she's familiar with the laws of libel and slander ?

If Carol can produce a single instance where I've printed her SS number, or any other form of ID, or, as she stated on the old Blue Board, prove I've stolen any of the AFM sheets that I've quoted from in the past, then I will apologise handsomely. Otherwise, I suggest she retracts that statement.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 05:33:43 PM »

The above authors should be held criminally liable for the theft and criminal uses of printing of our ID, wrecking our lives and our credit....how can you believe these kinds of people?

Just realised exactly what she's saying. Wonder if she's familiar with the laws of libel and slander ?

If Carol can produce a single instance where I've printed her SS number, or any other form of ID, or, as she stated on the old Blue Board, prove I've stolen any of the AFM sheets that I've quoted from in the past, then I will apologise handsomely. Otherwise, I suggest she retracts that statement.

No kidding.  You *do* have legal recourse, Andrew, esp. accusing you of stealing the AFM sheets, provided you have documentation.

If so, thumbs way the hell up for you.

2. Bootlegging tapes given to him by other fans on the understanding they would not be copied: someone had the smarts to put a tracker on some of them and surprise ! it turned up on an 80's vinyl boot.

Is that why Brian supposedly sued Elliot?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2006, 12:50:15 AM »

Carol seems to be laboring under the delusion that every single copy, and carbon, of the AFM sheets is safely under lock & key in the archives of Local 47, therefore when one of them is quoted from by the likes of me, I must have broken in and stolen it. She keeps banging on about how only Russ Wapensky is the only person with legal access to the sheets (usually followed by how his forthcoming book would prove her Motown claims - of course, we now know that the book isn't forthcoming anymore, at least from Greentree).

Of course, there are copies of these sheets all over the place, and here's something that might give her pause for thought - I do not own one single original AFM contract. Anything I've quoted from have been either given to me as photocopies (in some cases by the artists involved - maybe they should also "be held criminally liable for the theft and criminal uses of printing of our ID, wrecking our lives and our credit", no ?) or printed in books or magazines... and in no instance have I quoted Social Security numbers. In fact, as the people who were with me at the time will tell you, when I opened up my copy of Keith Badman's book on the day I bought it, at the RFH, summer 2004, when I saw that the SS numbers were included, did I cackle with delight and say "Oh, wow, we've got Carol's SS numbers, now we can have some fun with the old bat !!" Nope, I turned to them and said "Oh Jeez, Carol's gonna pitch a blue fit over this and I don't blame her one little bit".

Apologies for boring the ass off of anyone who could care less about this minor spat, but the reasons she's on the outs with me are instructive. On the old BlueBoard - when it really was blue - she was a frequent and welcome visitor. One day someone asked her about Ray Pohlman's contribution to one session ("GOK" I think), and she came right back and said he wasn't there. Now, this stopped me in my tracks because:

1. He's listed on the AFM sheet...
2. He's listed in the Sessions box booklet...
3. He's referred to by name on the relevant session on the CD.

So I gently pointed out that she was mistaken... got a torrent of abuse. Others pointed out she was mistaken. Same result. I quoted the AFM sheet, and was accused of stealing it. She then fell back on the Wapensky defence, saying she'd get in touch with him and he'd dig out the AFM contract and prove me wrong. I politely pointed out that, as he'd be quoting the exact same sheet as I was, I rather doubted this would happen (and oddly enough, she never did come up with the goods). At which point she flounced off the Bloo, never to return. In the greater scheme of things, of course it's all very petty and certainly not on a par with her Jamerson claims, but it does seem to illustrate a basic truth: Carol is never wrong because she was there.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 12:58:10 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2006, 12:55:23 AM »

Is that why Brian supposedly sued Elliot?

No, that happened back in 1983 (the first Smile vinyl boot) when Brian could have cared less about anything. The suing story came about in the early 2000s: I'm not entirely sure of the specifics, and thus won't quote anyone directly, but there are those at Capitol who have their suspicions concerning the origins of the two Deep Sea Treasures boots. Maybe it's just coincidence, but around this time Elliott pulled back from doing the liners of the 1970-1985 2fer reissues.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2006, 01:47:08 AM »

In fact, as the people who were with me at the time will tell you, when I opened up my copy of Keith Badman's book on the day I bought it, at the RFH, summer 2004, when I saw that the SS numbers were included, did I cackle with delight and say "Oh, wow, we've got Carol's SS numbers, now we can have some fun with the old bat !!" Nope, I turned to them and said "Oh Jeez, Carol's gonna pitch a blue fit over this and I don't blame her one little bit".

I REMEMBER that! You posted about it somewhere, I think it was either Susan's board or the Blue Board, and you kinda bashed Badman (and rightfully so).

Carol is full of sh*t. I remember talking to her about my own music, and wanted to send her a copy, just to see what she thought of it. Well, she kind of took a haughty tone, saying something along the lines of "My time is very valuable...are you aware I used to charge people for the opportunity for them to have me critique their music?" WTF?!

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2006, 05:05:07 AM »

You'd have to pay me to listen to your music too... Wink

jk!

sorry, nothing to see here.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2006, 02:55:44 PM »

Anyone reading this thread just had to know it would get to the "Carol issue."  And stay there.  Has anyone had a consistently positive interaction with her?  I think I posted once on her board years ago, and was attacked by her in a private e-mail.  She took my post off her board and deleted my account.  I blocked her e-mail address on my e-mail account, lest she ever try to e-mail me again.  Not that she would, but I just didn't want her around.  I've had spam that's more welcome in my inbox.  I think she's never grasped Netiquette, she'd be better off not being on the Internet, as many older people avoid it.

Oh, but she is a great bass player, on the things she's played on, including the Beach Boys.   
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2006, 02:56:53 AM »

Billy Strange:  Living in Nashville, getting up there in age, but maintains a website, billystrangemusic.com

Jay Migliori
Ray Pohlman

Thanks! I have been wanting to see an update like this.  What about Hal? (I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned).  I think I read somewhere he is living  out in the high desert.  Is he still working as a musician?   
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2006, 05:05:21 AM »

FWIW,  and just for balance, I've had very pleasant and helpful interaction with Carole.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2006, 05:22:32 AM »

Jay Migliori
Ray Pohlman

Thanks! I have been wanting to see an update like this.  What about Hal? (I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned).  I think I read somewhere he is living  out in the high desert.  Is he still working as a musician?   

Hal lives in Palm Springs, I believe. His website is currently undergoing maintainence. Don't think he's working too much as a musician - I recall seeing an interview in the last few years where he said he'd sold his drums because he wasn't getting the work due of the use of computers in studios.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2006, 05:26:33 AM »

Did I just hallucinate this?

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx