gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 06:44:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Back Home (Made in California version)  (Read 2205 times)
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2015, 11:26:41 AM »

Can anyone make out the voices singing the backgrounds?  In addition to the lead vocal, sounds to me like Brian is singing the high part and maybe all the others?  I'm talking about the version of Back Home on the Made In California CD set Disc 1 Track 15 (Not the 1970 Version also on set and not the 15 Big Ones version).  SO many versions of this song!

Thanks!
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:58:53 PM »

Pretty sure there are no other Beach Boys on this track other than Brian. The backing vocals could be all Brian or perhaps some of Bob Norberg (whose voice sometimes sounds remarkably like Brian's).

I bet C-Man knows.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 05:07:44 PM »

Pretty sure there are no other Beach Boys on this track other than Brian. The backing vocals could be all Brian or perhaps some of Bob Norberg (whose voice sometimes sounds remarkably like Brian's).

I bet C-Man knows.

Beyond knowing no other BBs are on it, C-Man can only guess. My guess is Brian and Bob.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 11:49:29 PM »

I bet C-Man knows.

Musicians on this are:

Hal Blaine
David Gates
Carol Kaye
Steve Douglas
Jay Migliori

Brian not listed on the AFM as a musician: At the same session, the basic track for "Run-Around Lover" was also recorded, logged as "Black Wednesday".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 02:00:33 AM »

I bet C-Man knows.

Musicians on this are:

Hal Blaine
David Gates
Carol Kaye
Steve Douglas
Jay Migliori

Brian not listed on the AFM as a musician: At the same session, the basic track for "Run-Around Lover" was also recorded, logged as "Black Wednesday".

Carol Kaye claims she played on Back Home, but how can we be sure that that isn't the AFM sheet for the Jan & Dean cover version of Back Home...?

Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 03:19:36 AM »

I bet C-Man knows.

Musicians on this are:

Hal Blaine
David Gates
Carol Kaye
Steve Douglas
Jay Migliori

Oh, I meant vocally - AGD is correct as far as names listed on the AFM. Brian does in fact play the piano on it, and Bob Norberg plays guitar, even they're not listed (a not-uncommon occurrence). Carol played guitar, David Gates played bass.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 08:37:16 AM »

Is that the same David Gates later of Bread?

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 08:42:44 AM »

The very same.

DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 09:48:08 AM »

Great stuff, thank you all. 

Can anyone direct me to hearing Bob Norberg singing on other tracks? Youtube? itunes store?  Very curious to hear him as one poster mentioned he sounded very similar to Brian in that era.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 10:27:44 AM »

Of the three versions, I still think the 15 Big Ones is the best.  I think Brian's rough voice actually suits it and the refrain "Back Home, I spend my summer back home" is my favorite part of the song.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:32:18 AM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 12:16:04 PM »

Can anyone direct me to hearing Bob Norberg singing on other tracks? Youtube? itunes store?  Very curious to hear him as one poster mentioned he sounded very similar to Brian in that era.

Seems to me that everyone sounded just like Brian for the entire BB career. Did he, in fact, actually sing on anything at all ?  LOL

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 12:55:12 PM »

Of the three versions, I still think the 15 Big Ones is the best.  I think Brian's rough voice actually suits it and the refrain "Back Home, I spend my summer back home" is my favorite part of the song.

Me too.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 01:39:57 PM »

I guess the track I'm thinking of where Bob sounds most Brianish is the originally unreleased "Ride Away" on "The Big Beat 1963". It's ostensibly a Bob and Sheri tune so one can only presume it's Bob singing tho perhaps Brian "ghosted" on the falsetto bits. He also sounds very Brianish on the original Bob and Sheri single of "The Surfer Moon" and on "the Big Beat" also on "The Big Beat 1963."  And if that's him on the lower part harmonizing with Brian on the demo of "Thank Him" (rather than two Brians) they blend uncannily well. I'm away and only have access to my phone so I'm afraid I can't dig up any links, but happy hunting!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx