gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:00:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love & Mercy Blu-Ray/DVD Official thread  (Read 54520 times)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 29, 2015, 09:50:28 PM »

The attention to detail of the studio sessions was very impressive. 

Yes it was.  It really felt like they were playing the music live too.  Maybe they were?  I don't know.  But it wasn't like standard-rockumentary soundtrack.  The soundtrack became the film.  Or melded perfectly into the film.  Just fantastic!

But things like that were all throughout this movie.  For the first time I really felt like I was seeing Murry Wilson.  What he was all about.  I felt like the dialog between the band was real.  And honest.  The intensity of everything too, was just gripping -- and it never let me go.

Nothing about the story felt rehashed at all... and we all know it... or the basic points of it.  Yet I was completely sucked in.  I don't think I've heard all this story -- at least not this way.  It was all very real.

Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2015, 07:02:03 AM »

The attention to detail of the studio sessions was very impressive. 

Yes it was.  It really felt like they were playing the music live too.  Maybe they were?  I don't know.  But it wasn't like standard-rockumentary soundtrack.  The soundtrack became the film.  Or melded perfectly into the film.  Just fantastic!

But things like that were all throughout this movie.  For the first time I really felt like I was seeing Murry Wilson.  What he was all about.  I felt like the dialog between the band was real.  And honest.  The intensity of everything too, was just gripping -- and it never let me go.

Nothing about the story felt rehashed at all... and we all know it... or the basic points of it.  Yet I was completely sucked in.  I don't think I've heard all this story -- at least not this way.  It was all very real.

Yes, they were playing the music "live" in many of those scenes. I totally agree with your analysis. Did you watch the deleted scenes? The IGA sequence was superb. That "outtake" is a perfect example of why this movie got it right. The dialog was lifted from the existing Help Me Rhonda tapes, however, the scene was DEAD ON TRUE. That is the way the entire script for L&M works.  That sequence seemed like real footage that someone had been hiding for 50 years and it leaked out. He was not the real Murry, did not look exactly like the real Murry.....but....that WAS MURRY.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2015, 01:10:15 PM »

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/69571/love-and-mercy/

Review from DVD Talk.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: September 30, 2015, 01:37:35 PM »

I appreciate that the guy admits he wasn't/isn't familiar with the BW story going in, but this comment is kind of odd:

Seen through the rose-colored glasses of time, The Beach Boys are either a decent California rock band or a novelty act, depending on whom you ask.

So the two options are kind of middling or pejorative? With the implication that these are the "rose colored" perceptions?

Review sites like that admittedly feature reviews that are all over the place. Some are well written by knowledgeable film buffs, while others are written by less experienced folks who might have more familiarity with their home theater gear than they do with film or the subject in question.

Obviously can't complain that the guy gave the film 4 stars out of 5, but the review itself was rather empty and mediocre.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 30, 2015, 01:55:41 PM »

I appreciate that the guy admits he wasn't/isn't familiar with the BW story going in, but this comment is kind of odd:

Seen through the rose-colored glasses of time, The Beach Boys are either a decent California rock band or a novelty act, depending on whom you ask.

So the two options are kind of middling or pejorative? With the implication that these are the "rose colored" perceptions?

Review sites like that admittedly feature reviews that are all over the place. Some are well written by knowledgeable film buffs, while others are written by less experienced folks who might have more familiarity with their home theater gear than they do with film or the subject in question.

Obviously can't complain that the guy gave the film 4 stars out of 5, but the review itself was rather empty and mediocre.

Agree.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: September 30, 2015, 02:31:17 PM »

I never read any of the posts here or elsewhere relating to seeing, or to the content of, the movie...until this afternoon.  I did not want to spoil a scene or a second of it for my own viewing experience.  Watched it yesterday...and again today.  Brian's perspective.  Melinda's too.  As much as I felt I had a grip on the story I never had an inkling of how it all would have been witnessed and felt by Brian...well at least the Landy part and on.

It was always clear that Brian's standards far outreached that of most others.  His frustrations were always relatable.  I wish they'd have left deleted scenes IN the film.  I think they help to better explain the story to those who didn't immerse themselves in it the way MANY of us did along the way and down through the years.

I am going to assume given time restraints which likely impacted on edits, as it is widely believed that 'todays' movie goer doesn't have the ability to concentrate or sit still for more than 90 minutes, that certain subject matter and ideas/points were glossed over in order to touch on stuff without killing the story... ... ...BUT!!!

Something buried insdie the picture hit me yesterday...and again today during my 2nd viewing of Love and Mercy.  It's the sequence where Brian is at the studio...thumbing through the many SMiLE tapes and the asshole father wanders in to ask if Brian had fired everyone else in the band like he had fired dear old dad.  HERE'S the part that grabbed me.  Brian explained that 'they' were all off working on a remake/ a simpler version to be called Smiley Smile.  THEY were off doing THAT w/o Brian D. Wilson.  He was still living and breathing his creation as it lay before him in contemplatable form.  They were off fiddlin' around with it and drawing moustaches on the Mona Lisa.  Seems to me...and Love and Mercy seems to be approved by Brian as being pretty frighteningly factual that he doesn't deserve the blame for Smiley Smile.  Just a point in a movie that is FAR MORE important in terms of all of the other KEY ground and nuances that it covers.

I loved it...as my empathetic self mourns Brian's many losses and celebrates the fact that in spite of it all...he miraculously won.  He, against almost all odds [save super-talent and Melinda...for the most part], won a chance to live and experience/enjoy a little sweet sanity for a freaking change.  What a guy! Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 30, 2015, 02:56:39 PM »

I never read any of the posts here or elsewhere relating to seeing, or to the content of, the movie...until this afternoon.  I did not want to spoil a scene or a second of it for my own viewing experience.  Watched it yesterday...and again today.  Brian's perspective.  Melinda's too.  As much as I felt I had a grip on the story I never had an inkling of how it all would have been witnessed and felt by Brian...well at least the Landy part and on.

It was always clear that Brian's standards far outreached that of most others.  His frustrations were always relatable.  I wish they'd have left deleted scenes IN the film.  I think they help to better explain the story to those who didn't immerse themselves in it the way MANY of us did along the way and down through the years.

I am going to assume given time restraints which likely impacted on edits, as it is widely believed that 'todays' movie goer doesn't have the ability to concentrate or sit still for more than 90 minutes, that certain subject matter and ideas/points were glossed over in order to touch on stuff without killing the story... ... ...BUT!!!

Something buried insdie the picture hit me yesterday...and again today during my 2nd viewing of Love and Mercy.  It's the sequence where Brian is at the studio...thumbing through the many SMiLE tapes and the asshole father wanders in to ask if Brian had fired everyone else in the band like he had fired dear old dad.  HERE'S the part that grabbed me.  Brian explained that 'they' were all off working on a remake/ a simpler version to be called Smiley Smile.  THEY were off doing THAT w/o Brian D. Wilson.  He was still living and breathing his creation as it lay before him in contemplatable form.  They were off fiddlin' around with it and drawing moustaches on the Mona Lisa.  Seems to me...and Love and Mercy seems to be approved by Brian as being pretty frighteningly factual that he doesn't deserve the blame for Smiley Smile.  Just a point in a movie that is FAR MORE important in terms of all of the other KEY ground and nuances that it covers.

I loved it...as my empathetic self mourns Brian's many losses and celebrates the fact that in spite of it all...he miraculously won.  He, against almost all odds [save super-talent and Melinda...for the most part], won a chance to live and experience/enjoy a little sweet sanity for a freaking change.  What a guy! Cool Guy

Why anyone on earth would think there's any blame to be spread for Smiley Smile is beyond me. I LOVE IT!  It's GREAT!!!!  Blame for Smiley is so wrong headed....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: September 30, 2015, 07:07:46 PM »

OK.

I happen to disagree.  So?

I'd have preferred SMiLE by light years.  SS was, for my tastes...and given the time-frame and how it all played out right there and then, the album which forever killed the momentum and forced the group out of the limelight and fairly deeply into the shadows.  Why?  They immediately ceased to be an important recording unit with the record buying public.  Smiley Smile...kind of made Murry right.  And when that happens the album can NOT be championed.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 30, 2015, 07:33:47 PM »

OK.

I happen to disagree.  So?

I'd have preferred SMiLE by light years.  SS was, for my tastes...and given the time-frame and how it all played out right there and then, the album which forever killed the momentum and forced the group out of the limelight and fairly deeply into the shadows.  Why?  They immediately ceased to be an important recording unit with the record buying public.  Smiley Smile...kind of made Murry right.  And when that happens the album can NOT be championed.

But it doesn't matter what you would have preferred, Smile was not to be.
  The momentum was lost by the long wait between new LPs, NOT  on account of the new one being Smiley.
One has to think they would still have lost momentum had Smile been released,  instead of Smiley, given the long wait.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 30, 2015, 07:59:40 PM »

Great thoughts Add Some.  That line caught me too.  Whether it truly meant what it implied (the Boys were off doing their SMiLE album without him) or if he was submitting in a more participative way -- I don't know.  But that's just it -- I don't know.  It highlights THE big question I've always had about SMiLE -- why did Smiley Smile replace it?

I've heard all the answers, but never felt like I got one -- perhaps until now.  So this line was an uppercut to the face for me too.  SMiLE's end was perhaps just a big, giant "fine... I don't care anymore."

LOL  Funny... but sad.

I find it funny, because those lines were just floated into the dialogue.  SMiLE's demise was not a big fight.. but a long beat down.  The film depicted the project as just floating away from him.  Like the scene in the pool.  "Come to the deep end."  But nobody came.

And with that, Brian Wilson was officially done with them.  He stepped aside and checked out so everybody would be "happy."  Makes total sense to me now.  I've always left open the possibility that Brian may have pulled a Syd Barrett "Have You Got It Yet?" scenario (constantly changing chord progressions to keep Roger Waters away) but those scenes depict Brian as being more over it all.  The personal destruction came later -- with all the "free time."

SMiLE still may have had huge challenges of course.  The film leads that somewhat open.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: September 30, 2015, 08:28:12 PM »

The film quite clearly suggests that Brian had ever so very little to do with the replacement album.  Key time was lost [in]fighting the original intentions.  The result?  An album referred to as "a bunt".  Not by me...but by an 'insider' who knew exactly what Smiley Smile was.  They needed a Grand Slam.  They ended up with... ... ...a hole they would never fix.  And at least a couple of decades of trying to explain where Brian was.

Now...having seen the movie...we know.

It might have been avoided.  At least to some meaningful degree.

Kind of PISSES me off.  Just as it did in October 1967 when I was surprised to stumble upon a brand new Beach Boys album sitting in a musical intruments rental store when the band I was in went in to rent a P.A. system.  It was if smiley smile had snuck out of some manufacturer's warehouse and crept out onto the street.  There was no loud and proud fanfare.  Heroes and Villains had already come and gone...and back then an initial single release and the subsequent album release were somewhat closer to simultaneous with at least SOME mention of 'where' the single had come from.

This was 16 months after my triumphant purchase of Pet Sounds...which, we were ALL well aware, was coming to a record store near us.  No...smiley smile kind of snuck into view and sat surreptitiously quivering,'til found, in a dark, out-of-the-way, and unusual corner.  When I saw it, grabbed it, paid for it, took it home and listenered to it...before even trying to put together the P.A...I knew why.  [and why Wild Honey was quickly recorded and rush-released.]  It was the group's first shocking failure.  It was just a heap to toss Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villains onto.  Both of those great songs deserved way, WAY better.  So too did Brian.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:45:46 AM by Add Some » Logged

KDS
« Reply #236 on: October 01, 2015, 05:29:32 AM »

I couldn't agree more, Lee. 

I know a lot of Brian fans seemed to have embraced the SS album, but it was not the followup album that The Beach Boys needed.  Especially given the musical climate of 1967. 

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 01, 2015, 05:54:58 AM »

Brian explained that 'they' were all off working on a remake/ a simpler version to be called Smiley Smile.  THEY were off doing THAT w/o Brian D. Wilson.  He was still living and breathing his creation as it lay before him in contemplatable form.  They were off fiddlin' around with it and drawing moustaches on the Mona Lisa.  Seems to me...and Love and Mercy seems to be approved by Brian as being pretty frighteningly factual that he doesn't deserve the blame for Smiley Smile.

From what I've heard (from people on this board who have listened to the sessions) Brian was all over the recording of Smiley Smile. He was in the studio trying to get every vocal absolutely perfect. In interviews with Brian around that time, Brian clearly seemed like a guy who was in control of that particular album.

I think that specific moment of dialogue about Smiley Smile in L&M was less about casting blame and more about Brian admitting he handed the reins off to the other guys. It was a quick and easy way of saying "I'm mostly done writing music for the Beach Boys, and the other guys are stepping in to take over". Though the movie is factual in many, many regards, that scene alone has a few inaccuracies - mostly, if not all, done to move the story along.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 01, 2015, 06:27:54 AM »

I don't believe it was meant that Brian had nothing to do with Smiley.  But that things were forever MUCH different than what was going on before.  As Mike Love said about Pet Sounds (?) during the movie... "it's a Brian Wilson album using the Beach Boys voices, stop being so selfish!"

I don't disagree with Mike or Brian in that scenario -- Brian was moving pretty fast and the Boys weren't there with him to absorb it all.  The band did become the Brian Wilson band, featuring the Beach Boys.  As a fan, it was glorious, but to the band friendship dynamics, it was bad politics.

So Smiley was Brian's "fine... let's be the Beach Boys again -- let's be a family again."  So they all got "weird" and made a weird little album together.  I love Smiley and don't look at it as the illegitimate "aborted SMiLE" album -- even though it obviously sort of is.  But in my book, the Beach Boys could get together in 1967, smoke some herbs, ANY DAY OF THE WEEK and make a "weird little album" together.

However, if you look at Smiley Smile as SMiLE's grim-reaper, and the end of Brian Wilson's pushing, driving leadership -- then, yes, I can completely see that too.

The film depicts, probably with some hindsight, perhaps not, that Brian begrudgingly relinquished the reins.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 06:30:39 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 01, 2015, 07:02:06 AM »

The movie also caused me to look at Good Vibrations in a way I never had. Their biggest hit ever...with lyrics by Mike Love.....and right after Pet Sounds.....and slated for placement in the new album with a lot of lyrical collaborations by Parks. There is no way Brian did not grasp that.

As far as Smiley goes, it is so unlike anything else that I have grown to like it quite a bit, but talk about getting away from the formula. Like Carl said it was a bunt as opposed to the grand slam Smile would have been. Surf's Up, Our Prayer, Cabinessence and more, absent, and collecting dust on shelves only to trickle out on other upcoming albums totally out of context. Pet Sounds did OK at the time Smiley was the real flop. One listen explains why. Way too out there.....
WonderfulLittlePad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: October 01, 2015, 09:01:58 AM »

Pet Sounds did OK at the time Smiley was the real flop. One listen explains why. Way too out there.....

Which is always a mystery to me.  Why did they abandon the weird Smile album and go for a way weirder Smiley Smile album with very stripped down arrangements?  I heard Brian say once that he needed a year to finish Smile and that the record company wouldn't give him that long to finish it.  I know there are a lot of reasons why it didn't get finished, but I think this is the main one.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 01, 2015, 10:04:52 AM »

Funny you mention that -- my first reaction when I heard the story of SMiLE, that it was out there and intense and too far out for the band and Brian went crazy making it or whatever, was "but... um.  Smiley Smile.  Isn't that pretty weird too?  Just how weird WAS this SMiLE album anyway!?"  LOL

With all the reading, years gone by and all the opinions, new information, etc. those old notions and questions still resound.  It would have made MUCH more sense to abandon SMiLE and release Wild Honey, right?  Smiley Smile is a strange little gift, as a result.  It is the strangest album ever released in my mind.  No matter which angle you look at it.  Now matter how long you try to understand it.

The only thing that makes a little sense regarding its existence is that "The Boys" wanted to "participate" on the whole SMiLE thing.  "I'm a geny-us too" sort of thing.  The Beach Boys didn't like that SMiLE was another "all Brian thing."  So this was an attempt to say "hey we can ALL do weird and far out Brian."  Maybe the massive success of Good Vibrations, in their mind, proved that a more collective approach was the winning ingredient, in the wake of the relative non-success of Pet Sounds and the meandering fragmentation of the SMiLE sessions.

They just picked a few SMiLE songs that they liked, finished them and then came up with some other stuff.  I like the album.  But that's sort of the impression I'm left with after seeing Love&Mercy.  It was the Beach Boys "Smile album."

Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 01, 2015, 10:10:46 AM »

This is absolutely not the thread for this, but this L&M thread is the current one, so I put this here:

I was looking for L&M screenshots and found this page-
https://xmovies8.org/watch?v=Love_And_Mercy_2014#video=WU6p-esaDx9DKlDIidjTGNMkXyTRKCGlem2GNsU7je0

So far, it seems to be the full movie, but I've only gone through 6 mins so far... none of which I've been able to hear over the sound of approximately six hundred running Thomas and Friends toy trains.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: October 03, 2015, 02:31:28 PM »

Couldn't wait no longer for flipplin' Amazon (UK) to announce a release date for the DVD/Blu-Ray. So, ordered the L&M Blu-Ray from Amazon.com----estimated delivery: Oct. 15, 2015 - Oct. 23, 2015.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: October 15, 2015, 03:28:19 PM »

I got to see all the extras on the DVD this week. The commentary from the director and the screenwriter, as well as the two little featurettes about making the movie, all made me appreciate the artistry involved in the whole project even more. For example, the person responsible for the costumes explained how he wanted to create the look of the different periods without making it distracting by overdoing it, and how he costumed the Carl and Dennis characters with their particular styles and personalities in mind.

I've never listened to all the commentary on a DVD before, because it usually seems like a waste of time, but Bill Pohlad and Oren Moverman do a great job explaining what they were trying to do. It's all very thoughtful and held my interest for the whole two hours.

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 15, 2015, 05:11:44 PM »

Couldn't wait no longer for flipplin' Amazon (UK) to announce a release date for the DVD/Blu-Ray. So, ordered the L&M Blu-Ray from Amazon.com----estimated delivery: Oct. 15, 2015 - Oct. 23, 2015.

I've been burned one too many times by stuff from America getting lost in transit, but if a UK release date is not up soon I'm going to have to cave in.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 15, 2015, 05:57:37 PM »

I've been burned one too many times by stuff from America getting lost in transit, but if a UK release date is not up soon I'm going to have to cave in.

This might bring comfort:

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but the UK Blu-Ray release date appears to be Nov. 16th...

Source: http://www.dvd365.net/newsitem.php?i=011015b

“We live in divisive times.”
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: November 26, 2015, 12:17:15 PM »

So, finally Love and Mercy is hitting Blu-ray and DVD on January 4th here in the UK. About time I think!

https://www.facebook.com/LoveandMercy2015/?fref=ts

*Edit, still no date via Amazon officially mind.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 12:24:08 PM by Cool Cool Water » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx