gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:04:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love & Mercy Blu-Ray/DVD Official thread  (Read 54500 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2015, 11:26:08 AM »

Just a reminder that posting non-official links to download copies of the film since it has been released commercially will not be allowed on this forum, nor will requests to provide such links. Anyone doing so will be subject to a ban.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2015, 01:29:08 PM »

Entertainment Weekly has published an exclusive deleted scene (1 of 4 included in the iTunes Extras).

Link below for the curious among us..

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/25/paul-dano-love-and-mercy?utm_campaign=Contact+SNS+For+More+Referrer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=snsanalytics

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
KDS
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2015, 01:35:34 PM »

The Blu Ray is #20 on Amazon's Blu Ray list.

With the numbers NPP put up, it's pretty obvious where Brian Wilson fans shop. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2015, 03:36:57 PM »

The Blu Ray is #20 on Amazon's Blu Ray list.

With the numbers NPP put up, it's pretty obvious where Brian Wilson fans shop. 

Amazon's sales lists tend to skew towards the older demographic, especially looking at physical media. Older folks tend to buy CDs and BDs/DVDs, so we typically see Brian or McCartney and people of that era hit higher on Amazon's physical sales charts than they do on the overall charts.

However it happens, though, it's good to see Brian product higher up on the charts.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2015, 03:45:47 PM »

Enjoyable deleted scene. I bet the Mike Lovers among us would've loved if that was left in, his big line sounds like something out of Smiley Smile! Abel does an excellent job playing Mike both aggressively and sympathetically. You can see his side. Why Love was so sniffy about the film, I can't understand. He comes off ok, really. Killer hats too.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2015, 04:03:05 PM »

Abel does an excellent job playing Mike both aggressively and sympathetically. You can see his side. Why Love was so sniffy about the film, I can't understand. He comes off ok, really. Killer hats too.

Abel was great. I thought he portrayed Mike to be quite a pr*ck, which he very well could've been. Then again Brian always said he was a goofball in the studio and here we only see the serious side.

I did crack up at his "sunny down snuff" line.  LOL
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2015, 05:41:51 PM »

Would be great to see a version with those scenes included. The more the better.

I read a review a few days ago where the writer said it was too long and that the studio scenes should have been trimmed. For me and I'm sure most here they made the film. The recreation and hearing those instruments being tuned was worth the price of admission alone.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2015, 06:01:54 PM »

Would be great to see a version with those scenes included. The more the better.

I read a review a few days ago where the writer said it was too long and that the studio scenes should have been trimmed. For me and I'm sure most here they made the film. The recreation and hearing those instruments being tuned was worth the price of admission alone.

I know the bed montage is the climax of the film, but when I initially reviewed the film after seeing it for the first time I was so blown away by the studio scenes I made the comment that there was no climax to the movie because the whole thing was a masterpiece from beginning to end...basically because of all the studio scenes.

A huge thanks goes out to Bill Pohlad for getting it. This could've been another 'Walk The Line' or 'Ray', but this film has a life of its own. It's not pandering to a majority of movie-lovers, it's geared for us die-hard fans. We really got lucky.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2015, 06:52:45 PM »

I'm with you guys, the more scenes the better. Back in June, Oren Moverman did an interview with Collider and mentioned that the first real cut of the film was 2 hours & 20 minutes. I would love to see that some day. Who knows, an 'Extended Cut' of Walk The Line appeared several years after that film hit home video.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2015, 08:46:46 AM »

Enjoyable deleted scene. I bet the Mike Lovers among us would've loved if that was left in, his big line sounds like something out of Smiley Smile! Abel does an excellent job playing Mike both aggressively and sympathetically. You can see his side. Why Love was so sniffy about the film, I can't understand. He comes off ok, really. Killer hats too.

Glad that scene was cut. Aside from being inaccurate as regards location (in a movie that's nearly always on the ball in this respect), it's a clumsy, heavy handed piece of exposition/setting up. The movie I saw had a fine, balanced hand on the tiller.  Pohlad made the right call.

Anyone else notice the dialog lift from the American Family mini-series ?  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2015, 08:56:50 AM »

So how do you think Mike Love comes off in the film overall, Andrew? Sympathetically? Kind of my main point, deleted scenes aside. I dunno,  Movie Mike almost makes a better case for his side than his defenders. You can see why he'd feel frustrated and left out in those studio scenes 100000% more effectively than a large Buick's worth of Cam Mottery. Maybe the hats are just inherently more sympathetic, but I feel for the guy. Throwing in that sweet little "Good Vibrations" writing moment was a nice touch as well. ML of 2015 I have a hard time empathizing with, but I can completely get his 60s art vs family business mindset and the film does an excellent job of depicting it. Pohlad indeed nailed it and walked the tightrope with some style. Talk/discuss.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:14:08 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2015, 09:17:03 AM »

My opinion of how Mike was handled was that while initially his character was handled fairly, by the time of the pool meeting he was wearing a black hat, or at least a dark gray one.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2015, 09:21:02 AM »

A bit of a dark gray hardass by that point, yeah -- but certainly a well-motivated one. It wasn't just EVIL MIKE LOVE RUINING BRIAN'S BEAUTIFUL DREAMS. You got what was important to him and it wasn't exactly pure evil or the devil's work. He was just a guy trying to keep the family business ticking along in the midst of a chaotic circus. Look how out of control BW was portrayed by that scene, that's no white hat for sure. I thought they did a great job not going full blown Heroes and Villains.

Otherwise there would've been sharp legal elbows, mmm?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:23:28 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2015, 09:26:38 AM »

Indeed. Not the all-out malign influence that might have been reasonably expected.

Still don't care much for the deleted scene, though.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2015, 09:37:46 AM »

So how do you think Mike Love comes off in the film overall, Andrew? Sympathetically? Kind of my main point, deleted scenes aside. I dunno,  Movie Mike almost makes a better case for his side than his defenders. You can see why he'd feel frustrated and left out in those studio scenes 100000% more effectively than a large Buick's worth of Cam Mottery. Maybe the hats are just inherently more sympathetic, but I feel for the guy. Throwing in that sweet little "Good Vibrations" writing moment was a nice touch as well. ML of 2015 I have a hard time empathizing with, but I can completely get his 60s art vs family business mindset and the film does an excellent job of depicting it. Pohlad indeed nailed it and walked the tightrope with some style. Talk/discuss.
Ontor - my impression, if we are looking at the same scenes, is that what Mike articulated, represented the position of the other band members. 

Subsequent to the movie's release, Brian has said that Mike was a "good guy" and well-treated" in the film.  And, I would agree. Why not let Brian have the "last word," here...

And, I don't have the hard copy yet. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »

I too can see why the deleted scene was deleted.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2015, 09:40:05 AM »

And, I would agree. Why not let Brian have the "last word," here...

If Brian had the last word, we'd be talking about lunch! I don't have the hard copy yet either, can't wait to check out the Spector and Murry scenes. Proper black hats!

So in the end... Mike Love was handled fairly, even in the highly qualified words of The World's Greatest Living Neutral Historian. ML made a mistake on this film, they will never have a better film in their lifetimes and he could've said some happy PR stuff, spent a weekend with Abel to show him how to point, dabbled in soundtrack work, fertile cross-promotion to give a small boost to his own operations, gave good interviews instead of saying how Evan Landy's tabloid sale was real interesting. But the Stamos hackjob was worth being involved with. Did that make more money than it cost in legal settlements?

Jack Rieley's words about blowing it ring true still! Let's find them another manager with a dubious resume and the gift of gab.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:50:46 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2015, 10:01:12 AM »

And, I would agree. Why not let Brian have the "last word," here...

If Brian had the last word, we'd be talking about lunch! I don't have the hard copy yet either, can't wait to check out the Spector and Murry scenes. Proper black hats!

So in the end... Mike Love was handled fairly, even in the highly qualified words of The World's Greatest Living Neutral Historian. ML made a mistake on this film, they will never have a better film in their lifetimes and he could've said some happy PR stuff, spent a weekend with Abel to show him how to point, dabbled in soundtrack work, fertile cross-promotion to give a small boost to his own operations, gave good interviews instead of saying how Evan Landy's tabloid sale was real interesting. But the Stamos hackjob was worth being involved with. Did that make more money than it cost in legal settlements?

Jack Rieley's words about blowing it ring true still! Let's find them another manager with a dubious resume and the gift of gab.
Not much faith in Brian's authority? Brian appears to "miss nothing" onstage and I would expect that to be consistent across the board.  Ever see him tell an audience to clap? Or stop tossing beach balls?

All I have read, suggests that Brian was/is very much "in charge" while working on music in the studio.  Leon Russell would likely support that.

This is not about "sensationalizing" or for you, is it? It is a sober movie. And sobering. And I don't mean booze or drugs.

Rieley was a poser.  JMHO

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2015, 10:51:29 AM »

Food for thought there, filledeplage.

Hey, how about that 5.1 mix, huh?  Holy Walter Murch, Batman!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2015, 11:15:18 AM »

Food for thought there, filledeplage.

Hey, how about that 5.1 mix, huh?  Holy Walter Murch, Batman!
Do you mean the soundtrack?  If you do, it was so well-handled.  And the Pet Sounds sessions studio scenes were amazing.  But they were among the "happy" scenes.  The material to be convered required delicate care.

It was well handled. And brilliant to use two actors for Brian. 

But it was so intense that I felt as though I was shot out of a cannon by the time it was over.  And, wasn't alone.

Hope it acquires some serious acclaim. 

It was the story of "our music" that required telling. Big Bravo!  Wink
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2015, 10:24:46 AM »

Looks like the DVD release date is the 15th September. Still no date for the Blu-Ray yet, annoying, as I've pre-ordered it for Blu-Ray. Amazon did have a Blu-ray release date to start with (being Sept also) to which they have changed to quote: "Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date." - Amazon.co.uk ....  Huh Huh
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2015, 10:32:02 AM »

Looks like the DVD release date is the 15th September. Still no date for the Blu-Ray yet, annoying, as I've pre-ordered it for Blu-Ray. Amazon did have a Blu-ray release date to start with (being Sept also) to which they have changed to quote: "Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date." - Amazon.co.uk ....  Huh Huh

I pre-ordered the Blu-Ray on Amazon and it says it will arrive on September 15th.  I'm in the US though.

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2015, 10:36:10 AM »

I'm in the US though.

I'd probably get it quicker ordering it from Amazon.com.  LOL
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2015, 06:59:44 AM »

There was a commercial for the Blu ray/DVD last night on the History channel. I was watching American Pickers and all of a sudden I'm seeing L&M clips. Nice.
KDS
« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2015, 12:35:23 PM »

There was a commercial for the Blu ray/DVD last night on the History channel. I was watching American Pickers and all of a sudden I'm seeing L&M clips. Nice.

I've seen a few commercials for it on various channels (ie FX).  I've seen more ads for the BluRay than for the theatrical release. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx