gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:24:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love & Mercy Blu-Ray/DVD Official thread  (Read 54499 times)
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2015, 06:28:35 PM »

I can't believe people are still having the DVD vs Blu-Ray discussion. Can you even buy DVD plays anymore?

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2015, 08:42:55 PM »

I think someone earlier in the thread posted that they were planning to purchase the VHS...
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2015, 09:27:20 PM »

I will be purchasing it on Super 8 film for my projector.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »

I will be purchasing it on Super 8 film for my projector.

Hey, I have a super 8 projector ... and super 8 film camera! (both working)

I can't believe people are still having the DVD vs Blu-Ray discussion. Can you even buy DVD plays anymore?

You can still buy VHS players (just got a new VHS/DVD combo a couple years back)! Huge chunks of the US without great internet coverage and/or crummy data plans.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:35:42 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2015, 11:24:45 PM »

I think someone earlier in the thread posted that they were planning to purchase the VHS...

VHS?? You've gotta be kidding! I'm planning to purchase Love and Mercy on Betamax.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »

Fancy a slide night anyone?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2015, 06:52:51 AM »

Geez you guys are a tough crowd. Someone asked the question..and others tried to guide them on the choice. Not everyone is up technology.

That said, I think a slide show would be good. I'll volunteer to provide still photos and narrate.  LOL

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2015, 07:02:06 AM »

Geez you guys are a tough crowd. Someone asked the question..and others tried to guide them on the choice. Not everyone is up technology.

That said, I think a slide show would be good. I'll volunteer to provide still photos and narrate.  LOL

A SS posters' slide show with commentary?  Sorta makes the hairs rise up on the back of my neck just thinking about it.   LOL
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2015, 07:36:09 AM »

That said, I think a slide show would be good. I'll volunteer to provide still photos and narrate.  LOL

My VHS player is broken, and the carousel to my slide projector is on the fritz, so I'll one up all of you... and remake the film. "Be Kind Rewind" anyone?

In fact, SS posters remade ASMTYD, so why can't we remake Love & Mercy? I get to play younger Brian (even though I'm Cusacks age and can't sing to save my life).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:44:52 AM by Misterlou » Logged
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2015, 08:27:19 AM »

I'll be using a Viewmaster! You remember, you held it up to your eyes, and inserted various discs into it to view.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2015, 01:15:22 PM »

PPppfffttt! All you folk need to get with it. I will be getting a mechanical TV comptaible player, and having the audio provided by an Edison cylinder.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2015, 03:07:15 PM »

The L&M website has been revised.

http://www.loveandmercyfilm.com

And Brian's website now has the standard PR details about the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital release of the film too.

http://www.brianwilson.com

Exciting times!

John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2015, 02:07:22 AM »

The DVD is now $3 cheaper than the Blu-ray at $9.96 on Amazon .

I didn't intend to start a Blu-ray/DVD debate, just kindly stated that the DVD was cheaper on Amazon. If you want the Blu-ray or DVD, that's up to you. I pre-ordered the Blu-ray. September can't come fast enough.

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2015, 09:51:32 PM »

Heads up, it's August 25th and Love & Mercy is now available for download on iTunes, Google, Amazon. I've just completed the download from iTunes and I'm going through the Extras. I won't spoil anything for anyone but there are 4 Deleted Scenes and they are all very strong but I see why they were trimmed. Looking forward to a deeper dive in the coming days.

Listening

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2015, 09:58:26 PM »

Aieeee! Thanks for the heads-up. Looking forward to digging in. The Spector scene in?
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2015, 10:08:04 PM »

Aieeee! Thanks for the heads-up. Looking forward to digging in. The Spector scene in?

It's there. Smiley

Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2015, 11:39:30 PM »

Cool beans. Any 80s era stuff in the deleted scenes?

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2015, 04:51:47 AM »

It's there. Smiley
What are the other 3 deleted scenes? I think if we know there is Spector scene, it'll make sense to know the rest, right? It's not a spoiler, even if it is, we got enough of it on the main 2 hours of movie, with detailed analysis & reciting the dialog bits. Everyone seemed okay with it. So, do tell.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2015, 05:16:03 AM »

Anyone going to post rips from the soundtrack? I've tried to extract Deep End and the Good Vibes vocals but it sounds so distorted I don't think it's worth posting.

I did this experiment anyway. Not perfect but I tried. (And why not this too)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:32:27 AM by puni puni » Logged
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2015, 06:47:34 AM »

Cool beans. Any 80s era stuff in the deleted scenes?

No. And other than like maybe one or two very short scenes, I don't think there are any 80s era deleted scenes.

What are the other 3 deleted scenes? I think if we know there is Spector scene, it'll make sense to know the rest, right? It's not a spoiler, even if it is, we got enough of it on the main 2 hours of movie, with detailed analysis & reciting the dialog bits. Everyone seemed okay with it. So, do tell.

* Brian Past meets Phil Spector on the street.
* Brian Past in a family meeting (Murry, Audree, Carl, Dennis & Mike) telling them he doesn't want to tour anymore.
* Brian meeting with Tony Asher, asking him to help him write lyrics.
* The full "I Get Around" scene where Murry & Audree arrive at the studio and it devolves from there. Scene derived from the famous "Help Me, Rhonda" session.

I had sort of hoped for these and maybe a couple of others, namely the one where Van Dyke & Brian write "Heroes & Villains" and the SMiLE montage. The first of which I'm pretty sure was filmed because there's a production still in the "California Story" featurette. The other one I imagine was also filmed. There are others but I presume that any scene that included actual music that wasn't already in the finished film would have cost additional money to license so that's probably the most logical answer why they weren't included as Deleted Scenes.

Anyone going to post rips from the soundtrack?

I have not, yet. I was going to wait on the Blu-ray.

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2015, 07:05:24 AM »

Anyone going to post rips from the soundtrack? I've tried to extract Deep End and the Good Vibes vocals but it sounds so distorted I don't think it's worth posting.

I did this experiment anyway. Not perfect but I tried. (And why not this too)

Beat me to it! Haha. Nice job. You could also overlap the "Gotta keep those lovin' good" parts on top of each other to make it sound double tracked.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2015, 07:06:25 AM »

* Brian Past meets Phil Spector on the street.
* Brian Past in a family meeting (Murry, Audree, Carl, Dennis & Mike) telling them he doesn't want to tour anymore.
* Brian meeting with Tony Asher, asking him to help him write lyrics.
* The full "I Get Around" scene where Murry & Audree arrive at the studio and it devolves from there. Scene derived from the famous "Help Me, Rhonda" session.

I had sort of hoped for these and maybe a couple of others, namely the one where Van Dyke & Brian write "Heroes & Villains" and the SMiLE montage. The first of which I'm pretty sure was filmed because there's a production still in the "California Story" featurette. The other one I imagine was also filmed. There are others but I presume that any scene that included actual music that wasn't already in the finished film would have cost additional money to license so that's probably the most logical answer why they weren't included as Deleted Scenes.
Thanks! The 4th DS must be interesting to watch. And yes, that's reality check that nothing complete can be released.

Saved. It's totally worth posting chops of soundtrack (as opposed to entire tracks).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2015, 09:03:33 AM »

Saved. It's totally worth posting chops of soundtrack (as opposed to entire tracks).

They're not the best quality though so I'd rather wait for somebody to post better rips before anybody makes anything with them.

Beat me to it! Haha. Nice job. You could also overlap the "Gotta keep those lovin' good" parts on top of each other to make it sound double tracked.

Good idea.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:15:11 AM by puni puni » Logged
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2015, 09:09:51 AM »

***SPOILER ALERT***

The Deleted Scenes are terrific and a couple of them help flesh out certain aspects of the film. While a couple of others were probably rightly excised from the final cut of the film.

* Deleted Scene #1: Brian Past meeting Phil Spector on the street. Very brief interaction where Brian sees Phil and professes his adoration for Phil's work. Phil essentially blows him off leaving Brian perplexed and bittersweet. I think this scene would have been fine in the film but I get why it was removed. It probably would have taken the viewer out of the film. The actor that plays Phil does a great job at capturing his essence, while only on screen for a brief minute with pseudo-Ronnie Spector on his arm.

* Deleted Scene #2: Brian Past tells the family he must stop touring. This is basically the full scene, as it appears in the screenplay. Brian, surrounded by the family (Audree, Murry, Carl, Dennis & Mike, along with Al) at Murry's house explaining what happened on the plane. In the screenplay, this scene immediately follows the panic attack/nervous breakdown on the plane. It also immediately leads into the scene in the film where Brian, Carl & Dennis are sitting around and Brian explains his desire to "take them further". It's a strong scene but the reason it would up on the cutting room floor is clear, it's redundant. Of note in this scene is Mike saying "Can I say something, on the record - you don't do it all by yourself Brian". In response to Brian expressing his desire to write lyrics with someone new. I like the scene a lot although, again, it's clear it had to go.

* Deleted Scene #3: Brian Past meeting with Tony Asher. This scene would have been better left in, in my opinion. It fleshes out a little more background on Pet Sounds. Brian looks to Tony to collaborate with him on lyrics for Pet Sounds, initially Tony resists. As presented, the scene is sligthly truncated from what is written in the screenplay but the gist is all there. In the flow of the film, this scene would fall right before Brian enters Western Studios for the first time (with glasses on, that scene) and introduces Tony to the Wrecking Crew.

* Deleted Scene #4: The "I Get Around" Session. In the finished film a brief moment or two of this scene is glimpsed in the opening montage of 'highlights'. It's clear the scene might have halted the momentum of the opening sequence if it had been left in, therefore, it had to go. Although it is very powerful, even on its own.  The band is cutting the vocals for the song when Murry & Audree arrive and the situation devolves from there. The scene is derived from the infamous "Help Me, Rhonda" session where Murry exclaims, "I'm a genius, too!"

KDS
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2015, 09:12:12 AM »

Those scenes sound very cool. 

I think I'll likely put the Blu-Ray on my list when I write my letter to Little Saint Nick.  Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx