gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 10:52:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love & Mercy Blu-Ray/DVD Official thread  (Read 54801 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2015, 05:08:49 PM »

LOL

That is some terrible artwork. But the L&M blu-ray cover art isn't that far off. For instance the title lettering is cut off by the "horizon line" of the ocean, Cusack and Dano got almost equal amount of screen time yet Cusack looks like he has the main role in this film. If I squint the current artwork looks like it could be the cover of Blue Crush or any other hollywood surf film...which assuredly this film pretty much has nothing to do with the beach or surfing.

edit: and I know it's about catching the eye of shoppers in Best Buy - but they may get some rather disappointed viewers who were expecting a more vibrant film on The Beach Boys.

Something along the lines of this would be so much more appealing - and truer to the vision of the film (dark, foreboding):

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:10:33 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2015, 05:44:25 PM »

The L&M Blu-ray has gone down to $12.96 today on Amazon, with the DVD a buck higher.

I'll chime in and say that Blu-ray is well worth it when viewed on a high-def TV. Although Blu-ray's audio specs are better, the really big difference is the ultra-crisp visuals as compared to DVD.  That being said, the quality improvement in viewing a DVD over viewing a VHS tape is far greater than that of viewing a Blu-ray over DVD, but the Blu-ray viewing experience is significantly better than that of DVDs and well worth the upgrade. 

And count me in as another fan of physical media, especially in the case of Blu-ray, where the pic is of higher quality than found on streaming HiDef video rentals or purchases.  Plus I'm a huge fan of the extras found on most Blu-ray and DVD movie releases.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2015, 06:17:11 PM »

Re- Bluray vs DVD. I moved over a few years back when I bought my HD ready TV and haven't looked back since. 18 months ago I got myself a 55" 3D full HD TV and my blurays really sparkle. I can see immediately when an upscaled DVD has been "remastered" as HD, but that has been a very few and far between occurance.

A film like Love & Mercy will look good on blu-ray - that much is a given. I work in the industry, so I have been accustomed to seeing the detail in my films and TV shows for nearly a decade. The one thing I generally don't bother with is buying something on blu-ray if the source material was only ever SD. My PS3 can upscale it just as good as any Bluray containing HD material. (The PS3 was known in industry circles as having an extremely good upscaler on board).

Pal DVDs have a pixel ratio of 720 (Wide) ×576 (High) pixels (NTSC DVDs have 720x480). Bluray has 1920 Wide×1080 (high) pixels. As you can see the resolution is roughly 2x sharper. I like the extra detail HD affords and that's why I will be getting Love and Mercy on bluray. Perhaps 2 copies in case I scratch one!! 
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2015, 08:18:35 PM »

That is some terrible artwork. But the L&M blu-ray cover art isn't that far off. For instance the title lettering is cut off by the "horizon line" of the ocean, Cusack and Dano got almost equal amount of screen time yet Cusack looks like he has the main role in this film. If I squint the current artwork looks like it could be the cover of Blue Crush or any other hollywood surf film...which assuredly this film pretty much has nothing to do with the beach or surfing.

edit: and I know it's about catching the eye of shoppers in Best Buy - but they may get some rather disappointed viewers who were expecting a more vibrant film on The Beach Boys.

Something along the lines of this would be so much more appealing - and truer to the vision of the film (dark, foreboding):

Agree, on one of the boards I wrote that I thought they should use an altered version of the US one-sheet.  Or at the very worst, the UK one-sheet, if they needed to deviate from the US poster.

The German Blu-ray cover art takes its visual cues from the US poster:

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2015, 06:25:58 AM »

The German Blu-ray certainly has the preferable cover art. Unfortunately, it’s marred by the huge ugly ratings logo.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2015, 06:57:32 AM »

For sure.  That seems to be the thing in Europe.  Have the rating right there.  And in the US the thing is to have that nice big fat FBI warning, on the back.

If had an ounce of talent I would try and make custom hi-rez double-sided artwork for the good folks on SS board.  Alas, I have no talent.  LOL

John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2015, 01:36:55 AM »

The DVD is now $3 cheaper than the Blu-ray at $9.96 on Amazon .

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2015, 06:54:05 AM »

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Blu-ray look worse than its DVD counterpart. Yes, in some isolated cases usually with older films, the studios have used excessive “DNR” which scrubs all of the grain out of the film, leaving the Blu-ray looking very waxy and unrealistic, etc. But those are relatively rare instances and, frankly, anyone who only has a passing interest in video quality to the point where they’re still unsure about Blu-ray, those are the folks who would probably find those Blu-rays with digitally scrubbed grain to be preferable.

The BluRay of Ernest Goes to Camp looked like a VHS copy...extremely grainy to the point where my daughter said 'something is massively wrong with the tv'. She was 6 at the time LOL

I own that DVD Smiley That film turned me onto "Happy Together" by The Turtles at a formative age.

9 out of every 10 turtles agree.....Ernest Goes to Camp is the movie to see. KnowWhutIMean, Vern?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2015, 11:51:06 AM »

The DVD is now $3 cheaper than the Blu-ray at $9.96 on Amazon .

I know I’m stating the obvious, but if you have a Blu-ray player, there’s no reason to not shell out the extra three bucks for the blu-ray. (And if you only have DVD, then a price comparison of course doesn’t matter). Seriously, the cinematography and set design in this movie is great, well worth seeing in HD on a blu-ray disc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2015, 05:45:37 PM »

Most definitely, go Blu-ray. Heck, even if you don't have a BD player, get the Blu-ray for the eventuality that you might and just use the certificate to download a HD digital copy of the film from iTunes, Google Play or Amazon. BD players are so cheap these days anyway, and the upscale job done on most well compressed DVDs looks good enough that it make sense to use this as a catalyst to start collecting Blu-rays, if you haven't already.

Or hell, just buy both. With the BD you get an HD digital copy for like $13 bucks and a DVD for less than $10 bucks. That's still cheaper than the BD MSRP.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2015, 04:08:15 PM »

This isn't really "news" but I see on iTunes that the Pre-Order listing has been updated to include iTunes Extras. As of this writing, the explore iTunes Extras section lists the following (same as the BD & DVD, but with actual running times on the Featurettes):

A California Story: Creating the Look of Love & Mercy" Featurette (10 min :48 sec)
"A-Side/B-Side: Portraying the Life of Brian Wilson" Featurette (25 min : 32 sec)
Deleted Scenes (No info yet)
Audio Commentary with director/producer Bill Pohlad and executive producer/co-writer Oren Moverman

Just passing it along.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2015, 07:39:12 PM »

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Blu-ray look worse than its DVD counterpart. Yes, in some isolated cases usually with older films, the studios have used excessive “DNR” which scrubs all of the grain out of the film, leaving the Blu-ray looking very waxy and unrealistic, etc. But those are relatively rare instances and, frankly, anyone who only has a passing interest in video quality to the point where they’re still unsure about Blu-ray, those are the folks who would probably find those Blu-rays with digitally scrubbed grain to be preferable.

The BluRay of Ernest Goes to Camp looked like a VHS copy...extremely grainy to the point where my daughter said 'something is massively wrong with the tv'. She was 6 at the time LOL

I own that DVD Smiley That film turned me onto "Happy Together" by The Turtles at a formative age.

9 out of every 10 turtles agree.....Ernest Goes to Camp is the movie to see. KnowWhutIMean, Vern?

"Ernest Goes to Jail" is a lost masterpiece.  I'm serious.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2015, 07:46:23 PM »

"Ernest Goes to Jail" is a lost masterpiece.  I'm serious.

There was apparently an unfinished Ernest film, the SMiLE of Ernest P. Worrell films, called Ernest The Pirate. Unfinished at the time of Varney's death, there are people who hope the film will still see the light of day sometime. In the meantime, there was sadly no Smiley Smile of Ernest movies released as a placeholder.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 07:49:03 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2015, 12:40:52 AM »

Preordered it on Amazon

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2015, 12:41:58 AM »

"Ernest Goes to Jail" is a lost masterpiece.  I'm serious.

There was apparently an unfinished Ernest film, the SMiLE of Ernest P. Worrell films, called Ernest The Pirate. Unfinished at the time of Varney's death, there are people who hope the film will still see the light of day sometime. In the meantime, there was sadly no Smiley Smile of Ernest movies released as a placeholder.

Lol

Ernest scared Stupid,  though,  was ass.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2015, 01:49:33 AM »

"Ernest Goes to Jail" is a lost masterpiece.  I'm serious.

Lol

Ernest scared Stupid,  though,  was ass.

It is ass, but you don't know the meaning of ass-tacular Ernest films until you see the straight-to-video Ernest schlock he did in the 90s, like Ernest in the Army + Ernest Goes to Africa! The SIP and Stars and Stripes of Ernest movies - they make Ernest Goes to Camp seem like high art by comparison! Smiley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2015, 01:58:34 AM »

I saw parts of Ernest in the Army. Yeah it was dire.

KDS
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2015, 06:13:52 AM »

I saw parts of Ernest in the Army. Yeah it was dire.

Didn't Ernest kill a guy in one of those movies?  Or is that a rumor. 

I used to love Ernest as a kid, but I checked out after Scared Stupid.  Even the ones I liked didn't age well with me. 
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2015, 06:17:56 AM »

Debated on whether or not to post this here or in the 'main' thread about the movie. Kind of felt like it belonged here.

The film recently opened in Japan and I was cruising through the Japanese Facebook site for the film (I know, I need a life).. but I saw two still photos that I hadn't seen elsewhere. And, the cool thing is that both seem to be from 'deleted scenes'.

The first one looks like a scene from the screenplay where Marilyn is asleep in bed and Brian is listening to "Be My Baby" over and over again on his headphones.

This one is a little harder to identify but there is a scene in the screenplay where Brian is watching the tv and sees some news about a fire and says "LA's burning!" and has kind of a freak out because he thinks the Fire Tapes caused the fire.

Hoping these and more are included among the deleted scenes.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:19:24 AM by JCM » Logged

jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2015, 02:56:19 PM »

If I buy a blu Ray player, will it play my regular DVD's and CD's too?
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2015, 03:20:13 PM »

Yes
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2015, 03:36:54 PM »

Yes
When you buy, check out all the little logos on top of the player or printed on the box.  That will tell you what can be played and other stuff (eg, if it has dolby II or is 3D compatible). You'll see the CD and DVD logos in the mix.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2015, 03:44:45 PM »

I think every Blu-ray player ever manufactured has played DVDs as well, and in most if not all cases, CDs as well. You might find more sporadic support from stuff like audio formats like SACD or DVD-Audio. Sony players tend to support SACD.

A lot of Blu-ray players also have built in "apps" where you can use stuff like YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2015, 05:26:09 PM »

To piggyback on what you guys are talking about. Most DVD players, on down to the PS3 and PS4 do a pretty marvelous job upscaling regular DVDs. Mind you, if a Blu-ray release for the same title is available, that's always preferable.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2015, 02:42:57 PM »

And if you have an older DVD player that doesn't do upscaling, then your hi-def TV will do the upscaling for you. 

(Some people with upscaling DVD players compare the upscaling done by the DVD player vs their Hi-def TV by switching off the DVD player's upscaling, forcing the TV to do the upscaling, and then if they see a difference go with whatever device does the best job of upscaling. Upscaling DVD players were typically marketed as providing a superior closer to hi-def picture than regular DVD players, without mentioning that when presented with video from a standard non-upscaling DVD player, a hi-def TV would upscale the picture to the TV's native hi-def resolution.)

But, as discussed, unless you've dealing with non-hi-def source content, Blu-ray discs will give you a significantly better picture than DVDs, and Blu-ray players have dropped dramatically in price.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx