gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:18:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love & Mercy Blu-Ray/DVD Official thread  (Read 54842 times)
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 06:33:33 AM »

I mean is anybody really surprised anymore...
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 07:04:27 AM »

Really though, stuff like the truck is a close enough approximation that only small percentage of people would notice.  Quite honestly, I wouldn't have known or noticed if it hadn't been pointed out.

The look and feel of the film is so authentic that those things, which I frankly consider to be minutia, don't detract from anything.  Unless you let it! Smiley

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 07:30:02 AM »

It's interesting to note that while the poster doesn't mention the Beach Boys at all, the DVD cover not only calls the film's subject "the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson" but shows all of the actors playing the members of the band.  So they're really playing up the Beach Boys angle.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 07:43:16 AM »

It's interesting to note that while the poster doesn't mention the Beach Boys at all, the DVD cover not only calls the film's subject "the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson" but shows all of the actors playing the members of the band.  So they're really playing up the Beach Boys angle.

The most commonly-seen poster didn’t mention the BB’s, but that alternate “dual” Brians poster (seen earlier in the thread I believe) does name the BB’s. It’s not surprising they’re putting the BB name on it. Same reason they put Cusack’s face on the cover. “Beach Boys” and “John Cusack” are the two phrases that will most help sell the Blu-ray/DVD.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 07:47:38 AM »

Maybe the cover art is just for the cardboard slip cover, and the actual artwork on the case will be the poster. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 07:54:26 AM »

Maybe the cover art is just for the cardboard slip cover, and the actual artwork on the case will be the poster. 

Possible. But weirdly, the majority of slipcovers (especially for new movie releases) are completely redundant; they feature the exact same art. Other than giving the appearance of a slightly more “Deluxe” package, I’ve never understood why they do this. Especially when it’s usually only the first wave/printing/shipment of discs that get the slipcase.

There are, ironically, a number of obsessive Blu-ray/DVD collectors who seek out slipcovers. You can see eBay auctions for just slipcovers, without the actual case or disc. Yes, sometimes they do unique, interesting slipcases (lenticular, etc.), but often they are just a cardboard version of what is inside the case.

It will also be interesting to see if L&M gets any retailer-exclusive covers or packaging (steelbooks, etc.), and, more likely, if international markets get alternate covers or slipcovers or steelbooks, etc. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2015, 08:04:34 AM »

True. 

I had no idea people obsessed about slip covers. 

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2015, 03:53:10 PM »

My daughter's dog peed on my blue ray.    It smokes when I try to use it.    Should I just get the plain old DVD instead and save the money on both disc and a new blue ray?    I don't have many blue ray discs.     and with a non blue ray disc I can watch the DVD on all of my other crappy DVD players.    what to do, what to do...........  LOL

How tall is that dog?

On two legs or four?   Ever seen Bruce Almighty?
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2015, 10:02:13 PM »

Blu-ray.com reports the following:

Lionsgate Home Entertainment has announced that it will release on Blu-ray director Bill Pohlad's film Love & Mercy (2014), starring John Cusack, Paul Dano, Elizabeth Banks, Paul Giamatti, and Jake Abel. The release will be available for purchase on September 15.

Synopsis: Love & Mercy is an unconventional portrait of Brian Wilson (portrayed by both John Cusack and Paul Dano), singer and songwriter for The Beach Boys. The film intimately examines the unique journey and ultimate salvation of this musical icon, whose success came at an extraordinary personal cost.

Special Features:
A California Story: Creating the Look of Love & Mercy" Featurette
"A-Side/B-Side: Portraying the Life of Brian Wilson" Featurette
Deleted Scenes
Audio Commentary with director/producer Bill Pohlad and executive producer/co-writer Oren Moverman

I feel VERY happy about this.  I'm sad about the lack of an Isolated Film Score, but maybe the soundtrack/score can be released separately at some point by Capitol even as a download.

These extras are exactly what I was hoping for otherwise.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=17179

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2015, 12:34:01 AM »

Tomorrow is the last day it will be shown in Houston. It's also my daughter's birthday, and it's not being shown less than 30 miles away from where I live, and it's an early (10am) showing.

Sad Sad

Oh well...15 Sept will be here soon enough.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2015, 03:32:38 AM »

Was hoping for a more comprehensive documentary or something. Those featurettes won't have anything too revealing, I'm sure. We've probably already seen them online.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2015, 05:51:29 AM »

Was hoping for a more comprehensive documentary or something. Those featurettes won't have anything too revealing, I'm sure. We've probably already seen them online.

This is a rather standard (albeit far from the worst case scenario) slate of bonus features. I'm guessing the two "featurettes" will be more on the EPK fluff side, while the deleted scenes and especially the commentary will be more enlightening.

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2015, 06:45:17 AM »

Gosh darn they used the wrong truck - again!!!!!!!

Grin
KDS
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 06:46:37 AM »

I'm glad they're including deleted scenes. 

Sometimes, they put extra features on the BluRay release.  Maybe they'll do that here. 

Does anyone know where the Love and Mercy live clip at the end of the movie came from?  Some more live BW footage would be awesome as a bonus feature. 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 06:58:48 AM »

Can we merge all these L&M bluray threads. I think there are currently three of them.
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 07:18:39 AM »

This is a rather standard (albeit far from the worst case scenario) slate of bonus features. I'm guessing the two "featurettes" will be more on the EPK fluff side, while the deleted scenes and especially the commentary will be more enlightening.

I was just hoping for something less standard. It's the minimum really. I think the deleted scenes and commentary are good. I just would have liked a more comprehensive. There were an awful lot of interviews conducted with the cast, Brian and Bill Pohlad. Some of those would be neat to have.

I don't think Brian would be up to doing a commentary himself, but perhaps a select few scenes with some comments by him and Melinda would be nice.

I just feel like a lot went into making this film and promoting it and we're getting the bare minimum. I know it's a film about a wildly different subject, but on the Zodiac bluray there is an extensive (feature length, IIRC) documentary talking to various people involved in the story. It really let you appreciate the history of what happened and although it was not a "making of" for the movie you really appreciated all the details they squeezed into the movie.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 07:57:23 AM »

I look at it this way, we could be getting no Deleted Scenes and no Commentary Track.  That would be very unfortunate, IMO.  Having followed the project since its gestation, I'm eager to get every last kernel I can. 

The Featurettes while likely nothing more than longer EPK's may end up surprising us, you never know.  There's no running time listed on those, they may end up being revealing.

Also something to note, the press release on Blu-ray.com says Special Features subject to change.  Maybe there will be additional Special Features.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2015, 08:37:02 AM »

Can we merge all these L&M bluray threads. I think there are currently three of them.

Quite frankly, half this board could be a merged thread.  Cool Guy

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2015, 09:55:06 AM »

Tomorrow is the last day it will be shown in Houston. It's also my daughter's birthday, and it's not being shown less than 30 miles away from where I live, and it's an early (10am) showing.

Sad Sad

Oh well...15 Sept will be here soon enough.

Through it all, are you sure you're still a fan who is really interested in Brian ??

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2015, 10:04:17 PM »

How about a "director's cut" of this film?     Like we see with a number of other DVD releases.      Or a disc with both;  cinema release and full directors cut.......?  I could watch a three hour version easily.   The film received such rave reviews that the extended cut could be justified/rationalized.       I'd buy it and pay the price.  No worry.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2015, 10:21:31 PM »

Thing is, I think we can safely assume this was the Directors Cut of the film?  Why?  Because it was essentially self-financed by River Road and the version shown at TIFF supposedly doesn't differ in any perceptible  way from the one in theaters.

I think of a Directors Cut as a way to right a wrong.  A studio insists on changes or cuts to a film, for narrative reasons or maybe for running time.  Then it's interesting to see what the directors original vision was.

In the case of L&M, I sense that this is the finished film the filmmakers had in mind.  The deleted scenes will be nice to see, if for no other reason than to maybe 2nd guess their decision to excise them in the first place.  But also, because we're fans and we want every last kernel of it we can get.  I know I do!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2015, 01:17:01 AM »

Quite frankly, half this board could be a merged thread.  Cool Guy

The whole board could be usefully distilled into two main threads:

A - Concerning all things related to the life and music Brian Wilson & The Beach Boys

B - I hate Mike Love.

OnTopic - the UK screening patterns and timings, and my working schedule, have thus far combined to preclude my seeing it on the big screen... and of course, when I'm off next week, so (apparently) is the film. Seems God hates me.  I'll take whatever the DVD has to offer as long as it includes the original feature.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 01:20:54 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2015, 01:50:44 AM »

Quite frankly, half this board could be a merged thread.  Cool Guy

The whole board could be usefully distilled into two main threads:

A - Concerning all things related to the life and music Brian Wilson & The Beach Boys

B - I hate Mike Love.

OnTopic - the UK screening patterns and timings, and my working schedule, have thus far combined to preclude my seeing it on the big screen... and of course, when I'm off next week, so (apparently) is the film. Seems God hates me.  I'll take whatever the DVD has to offer as long as it includes the original feature.

Well, if you fancy a trip to Bath, it's on here all next week. The 10.45am showing on Wednesday is discounted for the over 60's!! Grin
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2015, 04:17:53 AM »

And if you can get to that London, it's actually showing more places next week than this week.  Funny, from what people were saying I expected it to start petering out after the first week.  Hopefully, this is a sign that the film is some kind of relative success.

I was also hoping for a Director's Cut on the DVD.  It could be a fair bit longer, and perhaps it ought to be.  Landy needs more explanation.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2015, 04:41:43 AM »

Blu-ray.com reports the following:

Lionsgate Home Entertainment has announced that it will release on Blu-ray director Bill Pohlad's film Love & Mercy (2014), starring John Cusack, Paul Dano, Elizabeth Banks, Paul Giamatti, and Jake Abel. The release will be available for purchase on September 15.

Synopsis: Love & Mercy is an unconventional portrait of Brian Wilson (portrayed by both John Cusack and Paul Dano), singer and songwriter for The Beach Boys. The film intimately examines the unique journey and ultimate salvation of this musical icon, whose success came at an extraordinary personal cost.

Special Features:
A California Story: Creating the Look of Love & Mercy" Featurette
"A-Side/B-Side: Portraying the Life of Brian Wilson" Featurette
Deleted Scenes
Audio Commentary with director/producer Bill Pohlad and executive producer/co-writer Oren Moverman

I feel VERY happy about this.  I'm sad about the lack of an Isolated Film Score, but maybe the soundtrack/score can be released separately at some point by Capitol even as a download.

These extras are exactly what I was hoping for otherwise.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=17179

FANTASTIC! Thanks for sharing that. As well as others, I was hoping for a directors cut, but getting the deleted scenes is just as good. I'm honestly looking more forward to the commentary track though.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx