gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:04:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carol Kaye is at It again  (Read 20402 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2015, 11:04:04 PM »

Other points that may be worth complaining about.

The sand in the sandbox scene may be the wrong grit.
Murry strikes Brian with his left hand. Should it have been the right?
Was it really Banana barking in sandbox? I think Louie deserves the credit.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2015, 11:13:57 PM »

Well this is a fun list.

- Teresa was wearing the wrong glasses prescription.
- Brian wanted to bring in a liger, not a horse, into the studio.
- She collaborated on Smile.
- She wrote the Surf's Up lyrics.
- SHE came up with the cello part on Good Vibes.

See what a quarrel between VDP and Kaye looks like...

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2015, 04:09:18 AM »

Carol's reaction is extreme - she'd do well to temper this stuff as she does more harm than good to the reputation she's trying to defend. She should also be more considerate of the actress portraying her - Adamghost makes some very valid points.

However, I can understand why some of those portrayed in the film in smaller roles might feel aggrieved. I'm presuming those such as Carol Kaye are not paid to be portrayed in the film, right, or am I mistaken? If the only plus is 'exposure' and you feel you are being misrepresented on screen then you'd have every right to be pissed off about it, especially if you have worked hard to build up a professional reputation.  

I'm not a writer but it's clear in fiction that smaller characters are often written to reveal an aspect of the main character, rather than function as characters in their own right. I think when those smaller character parts are actually based on real people then problems are sure to occur.

In Love & Mercy the Carol Kaye character's main function is apparently to portray the anecdote of the hardened pros' bewilderment at the young wizkid producer's eschewing of rules. It's unfortunate that Kaye perceives this exchange as a 'dizzy blonde not understanding the music she's being handed' rather than her character representing the wrecking crew at large and its shared bewilderment at Wilson's methods. I'm sure Kaye constantly had to struggle against sexism and probably has a large chip on her shoulder about it. Viewing the scene myself I can see how she could misinterpret it that way. (I'm not criticising Teresa Cowle's acting btw - My point is we see a pretty blonde questioning something and that has certain inevitable associations). Personally I think it might have been better had one of the male wrecking crew members questioned the sheet music to avoid this ambiguity.

On a similar note, I wonder how the other Beach Boys feel about the portrayals? With the exception of Carl, they really are reduced to caricatures. Again, I think it's necessary for a movie like this to function, but I don't think that means the subjects have to grin and bear it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 04:11:04 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2015, 07:08:38 AM »

Carol's reaction is extreme - she'd do well to temper this stuff as she does more harm than good to the reputation she's trying to defend. She should also be more considerate of the actress portraying her - Adamghost makes some very valid points.

However, I can understand why some of those portrayed in the film in smaller roles might feel aggrieved. I'm presuming those such as Carol Kaye are not paid to be portrayed in the film, right, or am I mistaken? If the only plus is 'exposure' and you feel you are being misrepresented on screen then you'd have every right to be pissed off about it, especially if you have worked hard to build up a professional reputation.  

I'm not a writer but it's clear in fiction that smaller characters are often written to reveal an aspect of the main character, rather than function as characters in their own right. I think when those smaller character parts are actually based on real people then problems are sure to occur.

In Love & Mercy the Carol Kaye character's main function is apparently to portray the anecdote of the hardened pros' bewilderment at the young wizkid producer's eschewing of rules. It's unfortunate that Kaye perceives this exchange as a 'dizzy blonde not understanding the music she's being handed' rather than her character representing the wrecking crew at large and its shared bewilderment at Wilson's methods. I'm sure Kaye constantly had to struggle against sexism and probably has a large chip on her shoulder about it. Viewing the scene myself I can see how she could misinterpret it that way. (I'm not criticising Teresa Cowle's acting btw - My point is we see a pretty blonde questioning something and that has certain inevitable associations). Personally I think it might have been better had one of the male wrecking crew members questioned the sheet music to avoid this ambiguity.

On a similar note, I wonder how the other Beach Boys feel about the portrayals? With the exception of Carl, they really are reduced to caricatures. Again, I think it's necessary for a movie like this to function, but I don't think that means the subjects have to grin and bear it.
Buddahat - the "questioning" of Brian was a step of courage...with group-centered activity it seems more normal to discuss a sticking point among peers prior to asking "the boss."  And the "blonde thing" I guess I'm not seeing.  

The film question was posed very intelligently.  I thought the actress did a good job and were it me, I might be flattered.  She has a really good (and important) story to tell, apart from her peers, as a woman "pioneer" in that industry.  

There is a much better way for her to tell it, in a really positive manner, that will enhance this "sessions musicians" story, rather than detract from it.  And be more empowering and inspirational for women at the same time.  Young girls need positive role models, especially in school settings where music programs are the first to be cut for budgetary reasons.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:10:07 AM by filledeplage » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2015, 08:45:28 AM »

kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2015, 01:24:18 AM »

Carol Kaye is the most substantial studio bassist like Mike Watt is the most substantial bassist/performer and she has every right to her thoughts on inconsistencies portrayed regarding her likeness; the woman was/is brilliant and her basslines are in the greatest songs in recorded history, so....who is anyone to question her validity?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2015, 01:53:19 AM »

I question her validity when she claims to have played on sessions where it can be proven she didn't, e.g. "Surf City". Is she listed on the AFM sheet ? No.

I question her validity when she claims to have played on MoTown session despite her admission that she's never set foot in Detroit.

I question her validity when she tell her lemming-like followers to flood a site - Torrenfreak - with emails and comments because she totally misunderstands who it works and thinks they are selling pirate copies of her CDs and tutors. Especially when her mistake is pointed out to her and she totally ignores it.

I question her validity when she instantly deletes any comment she doesn't care for on her FB page and website, and bans the poster for good measure.

"her basslines are in the greatest songs in recorded history" - so you don't consider "Good Vibrations" to be such a song ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2015, 02:02:51 AM »

Well this is a fun list.

- Teresa was wearing the wrong glasses prescription.
- Brian wanted to bring in a liger, not a horse, into the studio.
- She collaborated on Smile.
- She wrote the Surf's Up lyrics.
- SHE came up with the cello part on Good Vibes.

See what a quarrel between VDP and Kaye looks like...
-Whether or not there really ever was dog sh*t in the sandbox, and the consistency and texture of said sh*t.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2015, 02:27:09 AM »

Carol Kaye is the most substantial studio bassist like Mike Watt is the most substantial bassist/performer and she has every right to her thoughts on inconsistencies portrayed regarding her likeness; the woman was/is brilliant and her basslines are in the greatest songs in recorded history, so....who is anyone to question her validity?

She has every right to her thoughts.  The fact that she was/is a great bass player does not mean if some of us find things that she says, loudly and repeatedly in a public forum, offensive and stupid, that we don't have the right to express OUR thoughts.  

"Validity" has to do with the truth or logic of what someone says.  That has nothing to do with how good of a musician she is.  So yes, if she's going to say stupid things publicly, anybody has a right to call her on it.  The fact that she may be a great bass player is irrelevant.  And you, in turn, also get to post your thoughts here...unlike on Ms. Kaye's pages, where if anyone questions her "validity", they are speedily deleted.  Which is also her right, since it's her page.  Elsewhere, however, we all get to speak our mind in the good ol' U.S.A. and do not have to kowtow to someone else's reality simply because they and perhaps others feel they are entitled because of a series of very impressive accomplishments.

Enjoy freedom of speech.  It's good stuff.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:29:22 AM by adamghost » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2015, 03:15:41 AM »

When she makes statements that are prove-ably inaccurate and benefit her while diminishing others who actually deserve the credit (Ray Pohlman, James Jamerson - both deceased), and not only refuses to admit an error when presented with proof, but viciously attacks those who bring it to light.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2015, 05:55:11 AM »

When she makes statements that are prove-ably inaccurate and benefit her while diminishing others who actually deserve the credit (Ray Pohlman, James Jamerson - both deceased), and not only refuses to admit an error when presented with proof, but viciously attacks those who bring it to light.

To that, I'd add, anytime  a nutcase, such as kookadams, comes to her defense

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2015, 06:38:04 AM »

Who the eff is Mike Watt?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2015, 06:44:11 AM »

He knows... he was there.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2015, 08:34:10 AM »

No relation to T Watt?
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2015, 08:46:03 AM »

I don't often defend kookadams, but Mike Watt is pretty legendary in certain circles.

Please delete my account
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2015, 08:53:26 AM »

Minutemen, did someone say, Minutemen?

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2015, 09:37:52 AM »

What a shocker - he played bass in a few punks bands that nobody cares about.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2015, 09:42:07 AM »

I think we should start a K(aye) family: Carol Kaye, Josef K, Special K, Lenny Kaye, Peter Kay, Kathy Kay
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »

Don't forget Danny Kaye.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2015, 09:51:03 AM »

Or the KKK.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2015, 10:03:24 AM »

hahahaahahahahahaahahaha you're so dumb.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2015, 10:19:12 AM »

hahahaahahahahahaahahaha you're so dumb.

So they're punk bands that someone does care about? or you're passing on a personal Brian/Glen greeting?

kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2015, 10:21:05 AM »

Wow, there are idiots on here who dont know who Watt is and I get called a nutcase. Who gives a fu¢k what she says on facebook or for that matter many seem to think its crucial whats said online...my thread asking a simple query about events in history gets nixed yet this bogus thread ensues.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:22:25 AM by kookadams » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2015, 10:27:48 AM »

Wow, there are idiots on here who dont know who Watt is and I get called a nutcase. Who gives a fu¢k what she says on facebook or for that matter many seem to think its crucial whats said online...my thread asking a simple query about events in history gets nixed yet this bogus thread ensues.

Sigh; it's almost enough to make a guy never post again?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2015, 10:28:18 AM »

Wait...the same guy who posts some of the most inane things on the board and has the spelling/grammar of a severely depressed rabbit is calling other people idiots? Pot, meet kettle...you're both black.

In any case, this kook needs a time out. I may make it permanent...who knows?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:39:09 AM by ♩♬ Billyman ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx