gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 11:11:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carol Kaye is at It again  (Read 20537 times)
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2015, 10:29:36 AM »

Mike Watt, and in particular The Minutemen, are legendary, held in high regard and well respected by most modern day players with an extremely storied career!
Their album "Double Nickles On The Dime" is basically the punk Pet Sounds. To be so dismissive is seriously trolly and stupid.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »

Mike Watt, and in particular The Minutemen, are legendary, held in high regard and well respected by most modern day players with an extremely storied career!
Their album "Double Nickles On The Dime" is basically the punk Pet Sounds. To be so dismissive is seriously trolly and stupid.

Difference of opinion. And to be perfectly frank, I think the comment was more to mess with kookadams (who is quite the troll him/her/itself) than an actual dismission.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2015, 10:37:10 AM »

I think it's crucial what is said online. Where would we be without a resource to remind us daily that
The BBs never made a proper album after Holland.
Love You was a solo album
Nobody in America was buying rock music in the late 60s
The Ramones were supposedly really good
The Beatles were talentless chancers without George Martin
LA Light was a hodgepodge album with only one rockin' cut
Mike Watt is the most substantial bassist ever
Knowing who Mike Watt is is a sign of intelligence, unlike being able to spell or use grammar correctly.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2015, 10:40:20 AM »

ok understood and lol. im a n00b here and didn't realize kook's rep.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2015, 10:41:50 AM »

Just checked out some Minutemen on youtube and it was shite. Each to their own.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2015, 10:49:07 AM »

i would reply to that glib remark but i'm too embarrassed for you to type.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2015, 10:55:05 AM »

You're embarrassed for me because I don't like a band you do? Ooooooooooooooooookay........................................

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2015, 10:56:23 AM »

Again, it's difference of opinion.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2015, 11:02:58 AM »

I think it's a question of temperature

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2015, 11:09:29 AM »

They sort of remind me of Freaky Styley era Chili Peppers minus the hooks. On the plus side, their singer is roughly x100 less annoying then Anthony Kiedis.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2015, 12:45:49 PM »

I think it's a question of temperature

I think it's a question of Ball Hog or Tugboat.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2015, 01:45:38 PM »

When is AGD going to admit that Carol Kaye was the true author of The Complete Guide to the Music of the Beach Boys and Doe and Tobler stole her credit?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2015, 01:56:40 PM »

Rumbled. It's a fair cop, guv, you got me bang to rights, I'll come quietly...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2015, 09:51:34 AM »

Does anyone know when the Carol Kaye biopic "Love & Mercy" comes out on home video?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2015, 10:18:10 AM »

All I know is...this thread exists because of someone who insists that the "Good Vibrations" session film was staged.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2015, 12:07:48 PM »

I think Carol Kaye is staged.

harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2015, 04:46:35 PM »

I'm surprised she doesn't rush the stage at BW concerts and grab the bass out of Bob Lizik's hands: "that's not how you play it!"
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2015, 05:21:05 PM »

Well this is a fun list.

- Teresa was wearing the wrong glasses prescription.
- Brian wanted to bring in a liger, not a horse, into the studio.
- She collaborated on Smile.
- She wrote the Surf's Up lyrics.
- SHE came up with the cello part on Good Vibes.

See what a quarrel between VDP and Kaye looks like...

I imagine a heated shouting match leading up to fisticuffs and finally climaxing in some passionate lovemaking. "Mercy! Mercy!"

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2015, 01:23:12 AM »

I'm surprised she doesn't rush the stage at BW concerts and grab the bass out of Bob Lizik's hands: "that's not how you play it!"

Not as fanciful as you'd imagine: she's berated him online for using a five-string.

Now, normally I don't advocate or condone violence towards anyone, especially the elderly (although I'll grant that twat Morrissey an exemption) but seriously, someone needs to slap (metaphorically or not) some sense into that woman.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 01:26:00 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2015, 07:40:16 AM »

Criticizing Lizik for using a five-string bass is ridiculous. McCartney used a 5-string bass on his 89/90 tour and nobody died. I think McCartney only stopped using his Rickenbacker or that Wal 5-string bass regularly in concerts because they are much heavier than a semi-hollow Hofner.

It’s about the player much more than the instrument. I was fascinated hearing the stories of early Cream reunion rehearsals in 2005, where they initially tried hauling out all the gear (Bruce’s Gibson bass, Clapton’s ES-335, Marshall stacks, etc.) they had used in the late 60’s. After trying to use that stuff, they just decided instead to use whatever instruments they preferred in the modern day. Ultimately, it’s about the player, and then they use whatever *they* feel most comfortable using. It’s not always perfect; I would have preferred to see Clapton bust out a Les Paul or something with humbuckers on some of those Cream songs. But if he is more comfortable playing his Strat, then that’s how it has to be.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2015, 07:47:46 AM »

Criticizing Lizik for using a five-string bass is ridiculous. McCartney used a 5-string bass on his 89/90 tour and nobody died. I think McCartney only stopped using his Rickenbacker or that Wal 5-string bass regularly in concerts because they are much heavier than a semi-hollow Hofner.

It’s about the player much more than the instrument. I was fascinated hearing the stories of early Cream reunion rehearsals in 2005, where they initially tried hauling out all the gear (Bruce’s Gibson bass, Clapton’s ES-335, Marshall stacks, etc.) they had used in the late 60’s. After trying to use that stuff, they just decided instead to use whatever instruments they preferred in the modern day. Ultimately, it’s about the player, and then they use whatever *they* feel most comfortable using. It’s not always perfect; I would have preferred to see Clapton bust out a Les Paul or something with humbuckers on some of those Cream songs. But if he is more comfortable playing his Strat, then that’s how it has to be.

Speaking of Cream, I read that Carol Kaye is now taking credit for Jack Bruce's influential bass playing. 
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2015, 07:56:50 AM »

I can't stand 5-string basses. Bob's a fantastic musician (obviously) but as a bassist myself, 5-string basses are tasteless and somewhat overkill.
There are NO Beach Boys songs that require a low B-note, etc. That's what piano is for!
To me, it's almost the equivalent to someone playing a Van Halen-style tapping solo over Fun Fun Fun.

Nothing against Bob - he's a fantastic player but he's more of an RnB guy in general.
I miss Brett Simons a lot as I think he played more like the original recordings (picked bass w/ a lot of palm muting).

PS. McCartney with a 5-string was equally embarrassing as his mullet and bad sweaters throughout the late 80s/90s. Just a terrible instrument.

Brian Eichenberg of M&B's band is killing it on bass and is playing what looks like a vintage white P-Bass just like Brian did in the 60s.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 08:02:55 AM by RONDEMON » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2015, 08:08:06 AM »

I can't stand 5-string basses. Bob's a fantastic musician (obviously) but as a bassist myself, 5-string basses are tasteless and somewhat overkill.
There are NO Beach Boys songs that require a low B-note, etc. That's what piano is for!

I've found from performing that there are at least a few Beach Boys songs that at the very least require you to tune down the E-string. "Sloop John B" and "California Girls" come to mind. I remember wishing I HAD a five-string bass to make it easier so I wouldn't have to de-tune and re-tune between songs.

A friend of mine uses a 5-string bass, but the extra string is actually after the G string. He tunes it to a C.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2015, 08:23:50 AM »

I'm just glad Carol Kaye never played wearing a G-string
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2015, 08:55:06 AM »

Not de-railing this thread too far, but as a 5-string player myself, it's not all about going down to the low B - playing runs further up the fingerboard is made easier and there are more options for finding the required notes.

To dismiss 5-string basses as tasteless is frankly untrue and insulting to players who use them and love them.

(By the way, I also love 4-string basses - I'm playing my 4-string fretless at a gig tonight !)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx