gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:42:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: John Fogerty - Autobiography on Oct. 6th, 2015  (Read 10308 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2015, 03:14:25 PM »

Must have escaped my notice that a release date was set, but here ya go:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/john-fogerty-plans-to-write-memoir-20121113

Pre-order from John's offial site:

http://www.johnfogerty.com/fortunateson

Hope the book will be better than the cover.

And the lawsuits are already in sight (wonder what will happen when Brian's new book will come out):

John Fogerty Denounces 'Angry' Former CCR Members After Lawsuit

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/john-fogerty-creedence-clearwater-revival-lawsuit-20141209#ixzz3fiZnThu6
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

John Fogerty Files Civil Claim Against Former CCR Bandmates

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/john-fogerty-files-civil-claim-against-former-ccr-bandmates-20150712#ixzz3fiYh3KHy

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 03:19:35 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 12:49:30 AM »

It's ridiculous that the guys who were the rhythm section of CCR are suing the guy that wrote and sang the songs. If anyone has a right to perform those songs, it is John. Their tribute band is not bad, but that's all it is - a tribute to the original group. Stu and Doug did not write or sing any of the songs they play onstage night after night (at least I'm not aware of them including any Mardi Gras material in their shows).
KDS
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 07:09:42 AM »

John Fogerty really got a raw deal.  Another example of what the music business can do. 

I saw him in concert just under two years ago, and it was an incredible show.  John Fogerty is CCR. 

Can't wait to read this book. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 08:32:05 AM »

Sorry John but your bitterness and d*ckhead management decisions over the years have led you to the point that you are now with Doug and Stu. These guys could have been out on the road the last few decades as CCR making the same kind of bread the Eagles are making.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 02:49:33 PM »

Say what you will about Stu Cook and Doug Clifford but they were a tremendous rhythm section (along with Tom F.).

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 05:28:12 PM »

Say what you will about Stu Cook and Doug Clifford but they were a tremendous rhythm section (along with Tom F.).
This is true. It's an overstatement to say John is or was CCR. He wrote and sang the songs, played some great guitar, but all of that would have been nothing without a great rhythm section behind him. I still think it's stupid, though, that those guys go out as CCRevisited. I saw them once, it was a free show at the fair, and after the show people were saying "I can't believe I finally saw Creedence!" I wanted to turn to them and say "you saw a great tribute to Creedence". I have to wonder what Tom would think about all this? He and John never really had a meaningful reunion, there were unresolved issues up to Tom's death.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 11:20:51 AM »

I have to wonder what Tom would think about all this? He and John never really had a meaningful reunion, there were unresolved issues up to Tom's death.

From Wikipedia:

On September 6, 1990, Tom Fogerty died in Scottsdale, Arizona of AIDS (specifically from a tuberculosis infection), having contracted HIV from blood transfusions for back ailments. The last words he ever spoke to his brother John Fogerty were "Saul Zaentz is my best friend", which devastated John.[2] Zaentz was the chief of Fantasy Records and John's enemy meaning the two would never mend their relationship.[2] After his death, a music compilation titled The Very Best of Tom Fogerty was released.

I guess we'll read more about this in John's book.

Here are a couple of performances John did this year:

2015-04-29 - Late Show With David Letterman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOKcGqmL4FU

The two guys on bass and guitar are John's sons btw.

The Voice 2015 Sawyer Fredericks and John Fogerty - Live Finale: Born on the Bayou/Bad Moon Rising/Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW050oJ4ihs

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 03:00:47 AM »

And this:

Rig Rundown - John Fogerty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mFDpVfD4D8

Article and photos: http://bit.ly/JohnFogertyBandRR

John Fogerty’s main road guitar is a late-’60s or early-’70s Gibson Les Paul goldtop with a wraparound bridge and its original P-90 pickups that really punch through the mix.

Used also as much as the goldtop on the 2015 Fogerty tour, this stock late-’60s or early-’70s Gibson Les Paul Custom “Black Beauty” is in remarkably good shape, all things considered.

Made by Phil Kubicki (builder of the famous Ex Factor bass from 1983), all three versions of Fogerty’s iconic “bat guitar” feature an authentic Louisville Slugger brand and Strat-style electronics—a 5-way selector and a volume and two tone knobs—along the body’s upper edge.

When Fogerty wants the first CCR album’s vibe, he plays this custom 1997 Rickenbacker with three “toaster” pickups and a Bigsby vibrato.

To continue learning about Fogerty's setup, visit: http://bit.ly/JohnFogertyBandRR

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 11:38:25 AM »

Not to forget:

CCR John Fogerty VH1 Legends FULL Docu I AIN'T NO MILITARY SON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX6aJkUG8LE

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 01:18:21 PM »

Just found another older article about the book which has some Foegrty quotes.

Exclusive: John Fogerty to Expand '1969' World Tour, Release Autobiography This Year

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6509433/john-fogerty-1969-world-tour-new-autobiography

And a link on that site states that a carrer-spanning boxset will also be released this year.

...oh yeah, and you get an even larger version of that awful book cover...

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 02:24:43 PM »

BTW here's an interesting and very recent interview with Doug Clifford.

Interview: Doug Clifford on CCR and John Fogerty

http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/music/2015/07/07/doug-clifford-ccr-john-fogerty/29792885/#

The part about John:

Q: You mentioned in passing John suing you over the name. And you mentioned in passing John as a brilliant songwriter. When you think of him now, what are your thoughts?

A: Well, he … uh ... I mean, my thoughts aren't good. He said that we were jealous of him and wanted to take control of the band. And what we wanted to take control of — or have someone else who was qualified take control of — was the business affairs. John was our manager. And he didn't understand the contracts. He doesn't own his songs to this day. We were renegotiating our record contract and found out that Fantasy was offering us 10 percent of the company plus the contract we already had. There had never been a deal like that made up to that point in time, where a band got a piece of the company. And there were other perks that went with it. But he didn't understand the contracts and totally blew it and then wouldn't tell us, except, "These guys are evil." He used to go to business meetings with a baseball and a glove and throw the ball against the wall like Steve McQueen did in "The Great Escape."

The other thing is he cut Tom Fogerty out from singing. It was Tom who took us along with him to record because his band didn't see the opportunity that was presented to them. But he believed in us and stuck with us the whole time. He paid for the recordings. He had a wife, two kids, a house and a mortgage. And he was just wonderful. Without Tom, we wouldn't be talking. There wouldn't have been a Creedence Clearwater Revival. When Tom graciously gave up the vocals to his younger brother, he had no idea that he would never be singing another song again. So Stu and I and Tom were always at odds with John about that. Tom had a high tenor voice like his brother but he had what I call a sweet tenor. Like Ritchie Valens. I think John was afraid that if Tom had a hit, he'd lose control. And John is a control freak.

That's where "Mardi Gras" came from. Tom was not allowed to sing a song, so then when Tom quit the band, John gave us an ultimatum that we'd do a third of the material each and write our own songs. That was the way he'd deal out punishment. And when the band finally broke up, he told the press Stu and I held a gun to his head and said, "We want to do a third of the material." That's the last thing we wanted to do. And that's the real regret I have about the way it went down. We took the blame as the a--holes who thought we could become singer-songwriters. We knew we weren't.

But I'm 70 years old. I just want to play with my band. I love these guys we're with. Stu and I have a gift we've had since we were old enough to figure out how to play together. And you hear it in the music. The river of songs that came out is from when we would come in and jam when the albums were being made. Songs would come out of those jams and we never got credit. Each one of us brought something to the table that made that whole thing work. I'm not trying to take away anything from John but, you know, he's been struggling since the breakup of the band through his solo career and it just hasn't worked. In four years we had however many hits. In 40 years, he's had two. But he would never give us any credit. We got in his way. Well, lucky him. Anyhow, I don't want to get too carried away on that. It's negative.

But I'm not impressed with John as a person. I'm very disappointed in a guy I would have jumped in front of a bullet for at a certain point in my life. But it's like a family. You may not like what's going on. You may not like the person. But you love them because they're family. We did accomplish our junior-high dream and the thing that kept us together was a common goal that we all had to get on board and pull the wagon. We had an amazing run and I'm proud of it. I'm just sort of disappointed in the way it came out in the end. Not the music. Thank God for the music. That's our legacy. That's what I want to hang my hat on because that's what it's all about. I wish John well. People say, "You must really hate the guy." I don't hate the guy. I love the guy. I just don't like the way he operates.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 11:19:28 PM »

Someone asked John in a Q&A not long ago if he'd ever heard any of Tom's solo albums, and John responded with some disparaging remark. He just can't bring himself to say anything good about those guys.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 05:39:54 AM »

Someone asked John in a Q&A not long ago if he'd ever heard any of Tom's solo albums, and John responded with some disparaging remark. He just can't bring himself to say anything good about those guys.

John even played on one of Tom's solo albums.
I agree that John still seems bitter (just as Stu and Doug) although even that has calmed down a little. The last lawsuits probably didn't help neither side. But things appear different when said and read many times. It's interesting that John isn't completely ruling out a reunion anymore.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-fogerty-creedence-clearwater-revival-reunion-a-possibility/

In this interview it seems like John has forgotten that many times he was the person who said that a reunion would never happen.

And this makes it seem like Fogerty tried to reunite. Don't know what is true.

http://wzlx.cbslocal.com/2012/01/12/john-fogerty-not-to-blame-for-no-creedence-reunion/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 11:49:38 AM »

I came across this very elaborate American Songwriter interview with John from 2013. A very interesting read although I'm not too keen on the "Wrote a song for everyone"-parts (or the album btw). And also our boys get a mention.

Q: I know. He said that Levon was the inspiration. Just like with you and writing swamp rock. For Robbie, having Levon take him down to the Delta when he was 16 shaped what the Band would become. But in the end, who’s credited for writing the songs?

A: Right, right. We’ll never know the full truth. I can only imagine … like what went on with the Beach Boys. I believe a lot of poetic license is called into play in regards to band members. And sometimes, 40 years later someone’ll say, “Well, you know I came up with this phrase. That means I wrote the song.” I don’t know the full story but in my opinion, the guy who came up with the song is the songwriter.

John Fogerty: The Extended Interview

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2013/05/john-fogerty-the-extended-interview-2/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 01:24:51 PM »

John Fogerty Tells His Version of Creedence Clearwater Revival's Fractious History in New Memoir: Exclusive Excerpt

http://www.billboard.com/john-fogerty-creedence-clearwater-revival-fortunate-son-my-life-my-music-memoir-excerpt-exclusive

John Fogerty Opens Up About Feuding With Former Creedence Clearwater Revival Members in Memoir Excerpt

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/john-fogerty-book-excerpt/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 09:53:22 AM »

John Fogerty on 'Fortunate Son' memoir

http://www.app.com/story/entertainment/2015/10/04/john-fogerty-fortunate-son-memoir/73091576/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 11:49:36 AM »

John Fogerty on New Memoir and Why He Sort of Likes Donald Trump

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/john-fogerty-on-new-memoir-and-why-he-sort-of-likes-donald-trump-20151005#ixzz3nikx5z9u

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 08:22:16 AM »

Bad Moon Rising Couldn't Keep John Fogerty Down

http://www.houstonpress.com/music/bad-moon-rising-couldnt-keep-john-fogerty-down-7813968

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 10:10:34 AM »

John Fogerty Explains Creedence Clearwater Revival's Hall of Fame Meltdown

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/john-fogerty-explains-creedence-clearwater-revivals-hall-of-fame-meltdown-20151006#ixzz3noCSjtS0

John Fogerty Talks Trump & Lack Of Socially Conscious Music In Today’s Pop (VIDEO)

Larry King NowOct 05 '15

http://www.ora.tv/larrykingnow/2015/10/5/john-fogerty-talks-trump-lack-of-socially-conscious-music-in-todays-pop-video-0_722h5vp9wbia
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 01:34:35 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 12:36:22 PM »

As you would guess, the Cook/Clifford fans are not happy about what John says in the book. And BTW, Doug is battling cancer.
KDS
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 12:47:23 PM »

One would think that, after all of these years, John, Doug, and Stu could get together in the same room. 

At least John dropped his bitterness enough to put a ton of CCR songs in his setlists. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 12:48:50 PM »

One would think that, after all of these years, John, Doug, and Stu could get together in the same room. 

At least John dropped his bitterness enough to put a ton of CCR songs in his setlists. 
Stu and Doug hate John as much as he hates them. They are really pissed off about what he's written in this book.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 11:52:09 PM »

As much as I'd like to read this book I'm loathe to give John my money. I'll wait 'till I can snag a secondhand copy.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
KDS
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 09:06:02 AM »

I wanted to revive this topic as I'm almost finished reading Fogerty's book. 

Anyone else read it? 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 06:09:29 PM »

I wanted to revive this topic as I'm almost finished reading Fogerty's book. 

Anyone else read it? 
I read it. Not a happy book. I vacillate between sympathizing with him, and being pissed at him for the way he holds onto a grudge.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx