gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:03:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Capitol Press Release for "Pet Sounds" 40th Anniversary & "GV" CD Single  (Read 9866 times)
Paul Childs
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2006, 04:31:50 AM »

Is there going to be anything much on this CD/DVD that is not already on the 'Pet Sounds audio DVD' & the 'Sessions box set'?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2006, 02:28:37 PM »

Is there going to be anything much on this CD/DVD that is not already on the 'Pet Sounds audio DVD' & the 'Sessions box set'?

Well, there's nobody from Capitol or anybody else involved in these releases coming out and providing a comprehensive list of what is "new" to this release or what is simply being reused from previous releases, so we have to guess based on the press release.

My best guess if as follows:

1. The CD is likely simply the 2001 mono/stereo two-fer with the one bonus track. They may well simply stick that pressing of the CD inside this new package.

2. The DVD portion of this new set is apparently not a DVD-Audio, but rather a video DVD with surround sound mixes includes. Basically, an altered version of the DVD-Video side of the DVD-Audio "Pet Sounds" release from 2003. But I'm not sure about this.

3. The new DVD has a few new things. "Pet Stories" wasn't on the 2003 PS DVD-A, but it is on the Brian Wilson "Pet Sounds Live" DVD, so that's not new. The "Good Vibrations" promo film is new. I don't know if the other BB documentary is new, but it sounds like the "Pet Sounds Sessions" EPK included on the 2003 DVD-A. Despite some wonky definitions of what "unreleased" is, the bit from "Rhythm of Life" excerpt is new to DVD at least.

4. The new DVD also apparently loses a few things from the 2003 DVD-A, including "Summer Means New Love." I think most or all of the "audio bonus tracks" on the 2003 DVD-A are not on the new DVD. Also, I think a newly-created promo film for "Sloop John B" was on the 2003 DVD-A; that doesn't appear to be on the new DVD.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 08:19:17 AM »

Described as 'Silver Anniversary' up there somewhere; well here in England silver denotes 25 years - 40 years is a Ruby Anniversary. Things are so different in California...!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2006, 11:24:40 AM »

I'm pretty sure "Silver Anniversary" is 25 years, here, too..

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2006, 06:52:10 PM »

when and where are preorders for the vinyl gonna be, any idea???
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2006, 02:41:11 PM »

Mark was trumpeting the discovery of a new tape of the mono Pet Sounds, a straight digital transfer from the master tape (before it was lost) with no noise reduction, just a flat transfer.  Is this being used for the mono/stereo CD and the DVD hi rez mono version?  Or are they just repeating what was used on the DVD-A, which was the second generation New York tape?

Also, aren't hi rez versions of the stereo Pet Sounds new to this release?
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2006, 04:11:48 PM »

I've always wondered why they include the unfinished version of Hang On To Your Ego on the Pet Sounds CDs as opposed to the more complete full group version found on the GV Box.  If Mark is out there I'm hoping he can shed some light on it.

I'm not sure if I need to purchase this new edition. The vinyl sounds exciting, but I think I already have all the stuff on the 40th Anniversary Edition already, unless it is a complete version of the PS doc, with Al's input and the "Sloop John B" stuff reinserted.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2006, 05:10:53 PM »

To my ears, after Wild Honey, the mono mix for Pet Sounds sounds pretty bad on cd. Today! sounds so amazing, I don't know what happened with Pet Sounds. On Today!, there is a real depth/echo and clarity, wall of sound perfection, but Pet Sounds is so muddy, with a little static, on cd. A new mono mix would be welcome.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2006, 05:13:43 PM »

Yeah, I'm not happy with Today/Summer Nights/Pet Sounds mono on CD at all.  I'm not sure. Maybe it's just me. Just doesn't sound right.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2006, 07:32:08 PM »

I don't like stereo Pet Sounds because Stereo eliminates the Wall of Sound production feel which is like cutting its balls off.  The Pet Sounds album that is.

Remember, Brian wanted Pet Sounds to sound like a Phil Spector production, and you lose that with Mark Linnett's stereo mix. So I only listen to the mono which sounds pretty bad.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 07:34:04 PM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2006, 09:52:02 AM »

I understand the historical importance, but for me, I loves the stereo Pet Sounds and haven't looked back since I got the sessions box.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2006, 04:58:21 PM »

It's not for historical importance. The SOUL of Pet Sounds is in the mono mix. It's just that no cd release has done it justice.

yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2006, 09:58:11 PM »

Mark was trumpeting the discovery of a new tape of the mono Pet Sounds, a straight digital transfer from the master tape (before it was lost) with no noise reduction, just a flat transfer.  Is this being used for the mono/stereo CD and the DVD hi rez mono version?  Or are they just repeating what was used on the DVD-A, which was the second generation New York tape?

Also, aren't hi rez versions of the stereo Pet Sounds new to this release?

The anniversary editions both vinyl and CD/ DVD package will contain the new remaster of the mono album from the newly found source tape. In addition the regular mono/ stereo CD is supposed to be reissued with the new version and the downloadable version will also be updated.

The new master finally presents the original mono album the way it was meant to be heard imo.

Mark
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2006, 07:41:34 AM »

The new master finally presents the original mono album the way it was meant to be heard imo.

Mark

Right on! Something to look forward to...3D

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2006, 07:59:04 AM »

Unreleased - "adj : not (or not yet) made available for distribution or publication".

I'd say that the British Broadcasting Corporation made it available for distribution. Hmmmm ?  Wall

I wasn't trying to say that they were using the terminology perfectly.  I was just pointing out that since you and I know that "Rhythm Of Life" was shown on TV then the term "unreleased" must refer to the fact that you can't buy it on DVD or Video.  You can stop banging your head against the wall now!    Cool Guy

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2006, 08:33:11 AM »

You can stop banging your head against the wall now!    Cool Guy

Love and merci,   Dan Lega

Nah... got to like it.  Wall

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2006, 09:36:57 AM »

Thanks Mark!  I can't wait to hear the new mono source transfer.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2006, 12:02:14 PM »

August 27th, is when the 40th anniversay edition is released?

What date is the new Pet Sounds (cd only) released with the new mono mix?

MadeForTheseTimes
Smiley Smile Associate

In Places Where New Things Might Be Found

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2006, 10:24:34 AM »

Will this be the first time the stereo mix has been put on vinyl?

I'm such a freak for this album...I already have:
The 2001 CD
A vinyl from the 60s
The Brian Wilson Presents Pet Sounds Live DVD
"Wouldn't It Be Nice--Brian Wilson and the Making of the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds"
This is all since March, mind you...

Knowing me, I'll end up with both of the new PS releases...

... Jesus, that ear. He should donate it to The Smithsonian.
--Bob Dylan on Brian Wilson
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2006, 11:24:40 AM »

I've got a vinyl single album with the stereo mix, so its been out before.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx