gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:15:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce Johnston's "Surfer Stomp" confusion  (Read 3770 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2015, 12:23:12 AM »

Hey there, so lately I've been jamming out to Bruce's Surfers' Pajama Party album a bit. For those not in the know, this is a pre-Beach Boys album credited to The Bruce Johnston Surfing Band and it really does rock. Yes, I used the words "rock" and "Bruce Johnston" in the same sentence. It truly is quality early '60s rock 'n roll.  A great document of a great era.

But anyways, there is some confusion on my part. It stems from the fact that there seem to be quite a few versions that of Bruce's "Surfer Stomp" out there, and I'm not exactly sure what is what. So I'll go through it.

First released, apparently, was the "Do the Surfer Stomp Part One"/"Do the Surfer Stomp Part Two" single. I don't have the vinyl for this release so I'm unsure as to what is on this release, whether it's a vocal on the a-side, instrumental on the b-side thing, or whether it's just a "long" song (for those days) that was chopped in half for a single release.

Then second released, apparently over a year later, was "The Original Surfer Stomp" which seems to be an instrumental studio recording. Besides the single it appears on, it also is on the really cool Tough Themes compilation of a lot of Bruce's early work.

Then, a few months after the release of "The Original Surfer Stomp", Bruce's Surfers' Pajama Party album was released, featuring a recording of "Surfer Stomp" lasting around four minutes. This version has vocals, unlike "The Original Surfer Stomp." Now, my question is, was it this live Surfer's Pajama Party version that was used for the two-sided "Do the Surfer Stomp" single in '62? I would seem to think so, but then I see that "Part One" lasts 2:10 while "Part Two" lasts 2:20, which would mean that's quite a bit longer than the 4:03 or so of the album version.

Anyways, I know most people on this board probably don't know (or care) much about this era, but if anybody in the know has any info and could help me out, I'd appreciate it! I assume somebody has to have that "Do the Surfer Stomp" single with both parts that could figure this out once and for all for me!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 12:52:42 AM »

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/bruce.html

Hopefully a few answers for you. Hm... might be an idea to interview Bruce about his early career...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 12:55:59 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 01:25:29 AM »

That's funny. I was listening to a Bruce compilation today, called "one original Beach boy" today on a long car trip. I had bought it last year and had never listened to it. Turns out that it's mostly tracks from pajama party (which I've had for years), but with a few stray tracks tacked on, including a slowed down instrumental version of Blue Moon which funnily enough ends with one person applauding loudly.

I too find all the surfer stomp songs confusing.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 06:48:07 AM »

Hey there, so lately I've been jamming out to Bruce's Surfers' Pajama Party album a bit. For those not in the know, this is a pre-Beach Boys album credited to The Bruce Johnston Surfing Band and it really does rock. Yes, I used the words "rock" and "Bruce Johnston" in the same sentence. It truly is quality early '60s rock 'n roll.  A great document of a great era.

But anyways, there is some confusion on my part. It stems from the fact that there seem to be quite a few versions that of Bruce's "Surfer Stomp" out there, and I'm not exactly sure what is what. So I'll go through it.

First released, apparently, was the "Do the Surfer Stomp Part One"/"Do the Surfer Stomp Part Two" single. I don't have the vinyl for this release so I'm unsure as to what is on this release, whether it's a vocal on the a-side, instrumental on the b-side thing, or whether it's just a "long" song (for those days) that was chopped in half for a single release.

Then second released, apparently over a year later, was "The Original Surfer Stomp" which seems to be an instrumental studio recording. Besides the single it appears on, it also is on the really cool Tough Themes compilation of a lot of Bruce's early work.

Then, a few months after the release of "The Original Surfer Stomp", Bruce's Surfers' Pajama Party album was released, featuring a recording of "Surfer Stomp" lasting around four minutes. This version has vocals, unlike "The Original Surfer Stomp." Now, my question is, was it this live Surfer's Pajama Party version that was used for the two-sided "Do the Surfer Stomp" single in '62? I would seem to think so, but then I see that "Part One" lasts 2:10 while "Part Two" lasts 2:20, which would mean that's quite a bit longer than the 4:03 or so of the album version.

Anyways, I know most people on this board probably don't know (or care) much about this era, but if anybody in the know has any info and could help me out, I'd appreciate it! I assume somebody has to have that "Do the Surfer Stomp" single with both parts that could figure this out once and for all for me!
http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/bruce.html

Hopefully a few answers for you. Hm... might be an idea to interview Bruce about his early career...

My turntable is currently unattached, so, first:
   pics from the Starline site of some 45 labels( and the Do the SS title sleeve)    http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-SOLO-BJ.htm  
  Then, Youtube has Do the SS 1&2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ugudeKvQF8  Tho I'm not certain if this is your mentioned one from the LP or an edit of the two 45 sides, as this one   is 3:59.  While visiting YT, there are links for several other Bruce tunes;  probably by visiting you can find most of the tracks from the Surfin around the World LP.
   If one reads the comments for each,  there's some seemingly useful info there, such as these two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGzP1Hv7S1g  and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfWxwTxrcWM.  
  Odd that AGD's site spells Pajama Party >> Pyjama <<    

Here's a great site for Bruce, to access pics and info for most of his LP/45/Eps:  http://www.discogs.com/artist/100702-Bruce-Johnston

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:35:02 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 04:43:33 PM »

Best Band Name Ever: "Bob Sled and the Toboggans"  Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 11:21:52 PM »

Odd that AGD's site spells Pajama Party >> Pyjama <<    

Not really. Can't spell. Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 02:56:46 AM »

did surfer stomp come out before Beach Boys Surfin Safari single?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 09:21:32 AM »

Hey all, so since this got re-booted by chewy, I figure I'd let everybody know. The part one and part two versions are indeed studio recordings. And part 2 is also the same thing as "The Original Surfer Stomp."

did surfer stomp come out before Beach Boys Surfin Safari single?

Yes it did. Apparently "Do the Surfer Stomp" came  out in February of 1962, while "Surfin' Safari" came out in June.
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 06:41:26 PM »

damn thats crazy!!  incredible.
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 06:42:37 PM »

but techncially the boys were still 1st beacuse surfin of course.  but i did want to know about bruce's single in relation to Safari- since they were both '62
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 10:21:12 PM »

That's funny. I was listening to a Bruce compilation today, called "one original Beach boy" today on a long car trip. I had bought it last year and had never listened to it. Turns out that it's mostly tracks from pajama party (which I've had for years), but with a few stray tracks tacked on, including a slowed down instrumental version of Blue Moon which funnily enough ends with one person applauding loudly.

I too find all the surfer stomp songs confusing.

This is surreal...I don't really remember posting this, and I guess I just reminded myself about this CD, which I forgot I had. Apparently I just listened to it for a day or two and filed it away.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx