gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:58:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Really down about music  (Read 2612 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2015, 10:19:33 PM »

I'm working really hard on my next album, and recently decided to go back and look at the feedback from my last album...

It just... it seems like an album with my voice can't do well, and I don't feel I'll ever be successful with music.
I'm going to college in the coming months... I think that's where the music dies for me... I just don't know what to do to continue :/

I love to record and write, but I feel so attached to my music... I feel awful letting anyone else touch it... I'm so depressed about it...

My last album is up everywhere now, no reviews or anything... I dunno...

Anyway, the next album is coming... I promise, hopefully :/

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 01:00:53 AM »

Hello! I don't know you but I feel the need to reply to this.

If you like to do something, don't let negative thoughts stop you!

I think it's important to have a balance of reality vs. ambition... I mean, if we're being honest, a lot of musicians don't "make it." But I guess you gotta start somewhere  Grin

I'm listening to your bandcamp right now. I definitely hear the Beach Boys influence, and I dig it!

What are you planning to study in college? I just got done with my second year so I understand how crazy and intimidating college is.

Maybe I'm rooting for you because I have artistic struggles of my own... different ones; I just never have/make time to draw anymore. I'm not fantastic at it, but making things with your own mind, you own hands, is really fulfilling isn't it? Smiley

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 01:04:56 AM »

You've already been successful with your music, you put a smile on my face as I listened! It's a few years old, but I listened again to "My Favorite Time Of The Year", and I thought it was great. Overall you have cool production ideas, and the way you arrange the instruments on your tracks is really solid, full of neat ideas and what sounds like a good grasp of a lot of classic production sounds and techniques. You could do anything with your creativity and skills, just keep writing and recording and getting the music out there for people to hear.

To get back to "My Favorite Time...", it had a groove and overall texture that draws you in right away. The chord progression, the vocal arrangement...good stuff. The song reminded me of a few favorites from the 60's to the 90's, and maybe that's why this one stood out to me and immediately drew me into the song. If I could link a few of those songs that it triggered a memory of as I listened, I'd be curious if you had any of these records in mind when you crafted the song. I hear elements of Gregg Alexander/New Radicals, The Intruders, Billy Stewart and some early Gamble and Huff tracks. I hear some classic Philly Soul sounds from Gamble and Huff, Thom Bell, etc in several of your instrumental tracks. That's good company to be in. Smiley
Billy Stewart "Sitting In The Park" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgdLhOF974M
The Intruders "Together" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1OS7h7R6Bo

Again let me say, if you're making people happy as they listen to your songs, you're on the right track and whatever you think you need to do to go where you want to go or where you want the music to go, try whatever you can to make it happen. You mentioned your voice, but you could always do a Burt Bacharach and find a Dionne Warwick to deliver the words if you feel it's an issue. That's your call! But production-wise, you're onto something.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 02:51:48 AM »

A couple of your songs get stuck in my head from time to time at random, so as Guitarfool says, you've already been successful with your music. You've got some negative feedback regarding your voice, but amazing feedback on your songwriting and production. Take the latter as a huge step forward. And people (including myself) have been critical of your voice because they see something in that music of yours and want you to reach your full potential...otherwise we wouldn't waste our time commenting on your music. You've got passion, vision, a huge amount of talent...don't let current stagnation affect your perception of your own talent and potential.

When it comes to music I've mostly stopped recording what I think other people want to hear. I used to get a lot of good feedback from that type of music (more commercialized/pop influence) but lately I've been really digging this folk/harmony sound that no one else seems to really like. But I like it, I love it. I realized that I'll never be successful or famous with my music, but with that in mind the best thing I can do is work my ass off to put a smile on my face.

You mention college on how that may be where your music dies: you may be too busy to record much, but use that time to help yourself grow internally as an artist. Also use that time to get to know other musicians on campus, surround yourself with a community of artists. Take a notebook everywhere you go and write (jot down quotes, lines from movies, favorite lyrics, your own lyrics, etc). Bring your phone with you everywhere and record voice memos of melodies you hear in your head. In college you'll be hit with a plethora of different information, culture, and experiences: Use all of that to your advantage.

A lot of us here dig where you're heading with your music, and can't wait to see where you take it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
boco
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 11:26:10 AM »

A lot of good advice so far. I enjoy your music as well and have caught myself humming your tunes before (It's You is one example).  And I think you're on to something with the incorporation of 8 bit video game sounds.
I understand where you are coming from with the vocal issues. My lead singing has been a limiting factor in my own music. Have you tried consulting with a good professional vocal coach for at least a couple sessions? If you are particularly attached to a complete DIY setup and want to sing your own leads (I understand that too), I think sharpening up your intonation and opening up a relaxed tone will add a lot to your music.  In my opinion, a solid and expressive lead vocal track is the most important layer of the recording and has the power to make or break an otherwise great song.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:52:17 PM by boco » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 08:11:14 AM »

Great advice in here. Also remember the music is only one part of it. You can't release an album and expect the whole world to just find out about it somehow. It's a numbers game. You have to build a fan base (which you're starting to, here). Have you tried doing some gigs in your area? College could be the perfect platform to network and start building a support system, maybe finding other musicians to start a band with, etc. especially if rock music is where you wanna stay. If you wanna get more into the 8-bit stuff, you could be a nerd like me who just makes music out of his apartment, upload videos, release albums, etc. That could actually be a cool niche which can set you apart....

Another promotional vehicle you should be looking into is the music video. Without question, you will get more eyes and ears on your stuff if you can throw together some really solid professional videos. Before I had any money or know-how, I used to put my songs to new movie trailers and upload them on Youtube. This helped immensely in starting a fan base, and eventually led to getting a deal in Japan as an artist.

That said, I haven't blown up on a grand scale (yet?), and I make most of my income from producing and writing for other artists. But the thing with that is that you'll have to conform somewhat to what's considered hot in 2015. When I was your age, I was doing Beatles / Beach Boys sounding stuff and also felt like I hit a roadblock when I saw nothing was coming from it. I got a job at a studio at 19 and was forced to learn modern commercial production, and my career in music grew exponentially from there. Not saying you HAVE to do this, but let's just say, Brian Wilson wasn't making records that sounded like they were from 1946, in 1966. Again, it depends on what your goals are. I love non-commercial stuff, but staying on top of trends is a part of the game for me, while keeping my musical morals if u will, intact.

No matter which direction you take your music, the one thing I'd say is a MUST is getting your promotion and marketing together. You have a lot of talent man, present yourself to the world as a star. Get professional photos taken, shoot videos, get your social media popping... Watch what successful people are doing, and follow their lead. A great line I heard from an A&R, in order to be successful in the music business "the girls gotta wanna f*ck you, and the guys gotta wanna BE you".

As far as your voice - just keep working at it. Practice really helps. The foundation is there, you just need to sharpen the tools a bit. The more time you put in, the more rewards you shall reap. 
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 02:51:04 PM »

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I'm going to just keep pushing and trying my best, while experiencing college and using music as a way to express all the new things I'll find there.

The new stuff, to put it lightly, is not very classic-rock-y compared to my old stuff. I think what seltaeb1012002 said makes a ton of sense... if I can make modern sounds with old-school sensibilities... that would be killer... a new goal I guess!

I'll be posting a lot more here in the coming weeks, I'm pretty insecure about it all and really need feedback, which clearly you guys know how to do in spades Tongue

To the keyboard! I just got off a 12 flight/layover and the music is OOZING out! Tongue

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 11:52:49 PM »

Don't get down. I've been there. We've been doing this for 14 years now, and just now finally making some head way. There were opportunities before (including with M.Ward back in 2006) but 'real life' kept interfering. Some of my 2002 era recordings could qualify as proto-dubstep...missed the boat on that one. Why? Because whenever it was time to put something out I would always doubt myself, and chicken out. This time , though, I finally said 'to hell with it' and am finally doing it. Point is...don't make the same mistake I did. Don't rush it, enjoy this time. Don't let anything cause you to lose sight of your love for doing this. And , always go with your gut instinct...NOTHING should override that.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx