gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:23:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Q&A with Brian Wilson  (Read 9811 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2015, 01:06:09 AM »

Mike Love's never going to be acknowledged as a great poet in his own right because his lyrics only really came to life in the sonic surroundings of BW's music (save for a few exceptions like Big Sur). I mean that in an entirely positive way. These two really had an extraordinary writing partnership going for a couple of years, where Mike's simple yet highly effective lyrics were the perfect counterpart to Brian's increasingly lush and complex arrangements. It's very apparent in songs like Good Vibrations or California Girls.

As for stuff like Summer of Love, I think Mike's main lyrical approach was never meant to work beyond a certain age. It's all about being young and, in a certain way, naive. That is what made some of his later stuff seem so utterly contrived or sometimes even cynical. People have very refined sensibilities with regards to whether a fun-in-the-sun lyric sounds either genuine or forced.
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2015, 01:07:20 AM »

Nice separation between "inspiration" and "influence" for Brian where the Beatles are concerned. I do see how they inspired Brian to reach higher, but musically, I don't think they really influenced him that much.

But Pet Sounds and Rubber Soul are SO similar musically... Tongue
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2015, 01:55:47 AM »

Mike Love's never going to be acknowledged as a great poet in his own right because his lyrics only really came to life in the sonic surroundings of BW's music (save for a few exceptions like Big Sur).

I think the main reason is because he wants to be, and had made no secret of having that desire. And making that desire publicly known never works. I defy anyone to name an artist who consistently seems to publicly verbalize a desire for more acknowledgement and respect, over and over again, and for that to lead to some sort of magical turnaround in public opinion. It's sadly detrimental to the cause simply due to human nature; people do not like to be told/reminded by an artist that the artist needs additional respect. It has to happen naturally, even despite and regardless of misinformation that is out there (as in Mike's case), and if not naturally and organically over time, it simply will not happen at all.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:01:49 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2015, 04:19:22 AM »

Not every interview or article can be written by an expert, or a hardcore fan. The guy did his homework to the best of his ability

He did not. I think that "doing your homework" when it comes to Brian Wilson means that you should at least read his Wikipedia page once. If he would've done that, he would've known that Brian is deaf in his right ear.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2015, 06:06:12 AM »

Yes, Mike is the world's best lyricist, just like Bach wrote Ode to Joy.

And the word is 'awakened'.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2015, 06:27:56 AM »

Not every interview or article can be written by an expert, or a hardcore fan. The guy did his homework to the best of his ability

He did not. I think that "doing your homework" when it comes to Brian Wilson means that you should at least read his Wikipedia page once. If he would've done that, he would've known that Brian is deaf in his right ear.

Yeah, but he's a naif writer. Probably semi-amateur, looking at the way he transcribed the answers and the fact that he could have edited the questions (after the interview) in order not to come off as ignorant about his deafness while remaining faithful about the questions and anwers. He chose to keep what seems the original wording, just as he transcribed Brian's request for a question to be repeated.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2015, 06:47:25 AM »

Brian seems to think so.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2015, 08:03:53 AM »

Probably.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2015, 12:46:35 PM »

I think there's a certain degree of tongue-in-cheek going on here...  Grin

Such as?

Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2015, 02:38:31 PM »

Only this board could turn Brian's positive comments about his cousin into some sort of negative. To those participating in thist kind of discourse, I speak for a lot of us when I ask you to PLEASE STOP. It's exceedingly boring to read, cuts down on actual valuable posts, and most of us don't care about your back and forth who can more poorly prove a moot point.
boco
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2015, 03:05:26 PM »

For anyone confused by Brian talking about Bach and Ode to Joy and California Girls, here's a clip that should clear things up.

https://youtu.be/_m1va4JjgfY?t=9m47s

Obviously, Ode to Joy has nothing to do with California Girls, or Bach for that matter...  California Girls was inspired by a different "Joy" composition actually by Bach - "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" (yes, the same one that Lady Lynda lifted from - good for them to get two songs from the same source material).  It makes more sense when you can see/hear him explain it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 03:07:00 PM by boco » Logged
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2015, 03:36:08 PM »

For anyone confused by Brian talking about Bach and Ode to Joy and California Girls, here's a clip that should clear things up.

Obviously, Ode to Joy has nothing to do with California Girls, or Bach for that matter...  California Girls was inspired by a different "Joy" composition actually by Bach - "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" (yes, the same one that Lady Lynda lifted from - good for them to get two songs from the same source material).  It makes more sense when you can see/hear him explain it.

Of course - just a slip of the tongue caused by two pieces of classical music written by composers beginning with 'B'  which each include the word 'joy'.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2015, 07:47:21 PM »

Brilliant, thanks for this!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2015, 10:16:34 PM »

Only this board could turn Brian's positive comments about his cousin into some sort of negative. To those participating in thist kind of discourse, I speak for a lot of us when I ask you to PLEASE STOP. It's exceedingly boring to read, cuts down on actual valuable posts, and most of us don't care about your back and forth who can more poorly prove a moot point.

You speak for no one other than yourself, and it's offensive to claim otherwise.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2015, 04:35:17 AM »

You speak for no one other than yourself, and it's offensive to claim otherwise.

We've had negative turned to positive often enough. 'That's what he says TODAY' and other such comments. No doubt some are encouraged by any indication that there may be hope of another reunion. Some are discouraged by that. They have just as much of a right to an opinion as those in favour.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2015, 07:29:38 AM »

Sure, it's very easy to do when Mike isn't here to defend himself. I know you get upset when people get on you. I am sure that you know that it is one thing to be critical and another to be nasty and mean spirited about it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.