gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:00:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Q&A with Brian Wilson  (Read 9757 times)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2015, 08:15:57 AM »

http://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/music/qa-brian-wilson

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 08:41:40 AM »

I think there's a certain degree of tongue-in-cheek going on here...  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 08:42:52 AM »

Isn't there always?  Air Quotes

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 09:13:08 AM »

That guy knew jack sh*t about Brian,  and I can tell Brian was fucking with him a bit!

How does VDP compare to Joe Thomas? Really?! I mean, I think Parks is an asshole  (based on my own experience ) but even I think that's a ludicrous question.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 09:16:50 AM »

I immediately turn off from liking the author of an article about Brian when there is a “Smart Girls” mention in the introduction

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 09:29:12 AM »

the part where he asks Brian if he ever heard the stereo mixes of Pet Sounds, then Brian responds with how he couldn't because he was deaf in one ear, reminds me of that part on "Walk Hard-The Dewey Cox story" where the interviewer asks Dewey if he had ever stopped and smelled the roses, for which he replied "I have no blankety-blank sense of smell." lol...
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 09:29:56 AM »

This was a GREAT interview! Who else has ever asked him about Smart Girls??

Brian has some pretty bizarre stock answers. Check out the one about "sampling"
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 09:42:25 AM »

Not every interview or article can be written by an expert, or a hardcore fan. The guy did his homework to the best of his ability and produced one of the most entertaining and playful BW interviews of recent times. Also, he seems to be transcribing verbatim answers, which means that Brian is giving longer and more engaged answers these days.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 11:34:16 AM by Autotune » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 09:54:52 AM »

I don't think the interview was *that* bad. It was sort of a weird hybrid of the "knows nothing about Brian but wiki'ed it for five minutes before the interview" sort of interviewer and the "is moderately informed on Brian" interviewer.

But jeez, the most lucid artist ever doesn't always remember every track and every album, especially when they've done like 30 or 40 albums or whatever it is, and especially stuff that went unreleased. (Even McCartney one time joked that he flipped over an album like "Press to Play" and looked at the songs *he* had written and asked himself "I wonder how that one goes?")

I'd rather see an interviewer get as specific as possible with Brian rather than super general, even if it results in some scattered answers.

I will say that this is yet another interview where Brian continues to be highly complimentary, respectful, and a gentleman when discussing Van Dyke Parks and Mike Love even when those guys won't do the same when talking about Brian. Whether it's by choice or because Brian has a better PR person, taking the high road like that is quite refreshing. I sense no sarcasm when Brian HIGHLY praises the work of both Mike and Van Dyke.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 10:13:28 AM »

I will say that this is yet another interview where Brian continues to be highly complimentary, respectful, and a gentleman when discussing Van Dyke Parks and Mike Love even when those guys won't do the same when talking about Brian. Whether it's by choice or because Brian has a better PR person, taking the high road like that is quite refreshing. I sense no sarcasm when Brian HIGHLY praises the work of both Mike and Van Dyke.

It's because Brian may just be the kindest, gentlest soul on Earth. Cool

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 11:09:02 AM »

With “Pet Sounds” was there an appreciable difference to your ears between the mono version and the stereo version?
Well, I’m deaf in my right ear, so I couldn’t be able to give you an answer.

That’s really interesting. So when you wrote it, you wrote it specifically with mono in mind?
Right.

So you’ve never heard the stereo version at all then?
No, I haven’t.

I guess he's just actually making sure he's actually deaf...  Tongue

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 11:11:43 AM »

With “Pet Sounds” was there an appreciable difference to your ears between the mono version and the stereo version?
Well, I’m deaf in my right ear, so I couldn’t be able to give you an answer.

That’s really interesting. So when you wrote it, you wrote it specifically with mono in mind?
Right.

So you’ve never heard the stereo version at all then?
No, I haven’t.

I guess he's just actually making sure he's actually deaf...  Tongue

I've got a question about this. I've seen references to Brian having some sort of surgery to correct his hearing.. but I've never seen him address it. Any truth to this? Did it just not work?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 11:14:49 AM »

Carl spoke about the operation sometime in the (early ?) seventies. Obviously it didn't work.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 11:17:05 AM »

Carl spoke about the operation sometime in the (early ?) seventies. Obviously it didn't work.

Interesting. I don't know anything about hearing loss, or what really caused Brian's, but I find it interesting that they even thought it could be corrected.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 11:17:54 AM »

1971, if I recall correctly

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 11:29:34 AM »

"Well, Mike Love is probably the greatest lyric writer in the world. I think he’s my favorite lyric writer. He just wrote a lot of good songs."

Elephant in the room.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 11:39:46 AM »

"Well, Mike Love is probably the greatest lyric writer in the world. I think he’s my favorite lyric writer. He just wrote a lot of good songs."

Elephant in the room.

Mike just posted a link to the interview on his FB, including a commentary on it and quoting Brian's answers. He seems to be happy about it, and it's nice that both acknowledge each other. And I think he's right about Mike (as Brian's best lyricist during their peak). Expect more bile from other camps though.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 11:46:47 AM »

Brian and Mike are far more complimentary about each other than people give them credit for.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 11:52:21 AM »

Elephant in the room.

Quite a turn around from the answer he gave when Melinda was with him.  Wink  Evil
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 11:52:52 AM »

Elephant in the room.

Mike just posted a link to the interview on his FB, including a commentary on it and quoting Brian's answers. He seems to be happy about it, and it's nice that both acknowledge each other. And I think he's right about Mike (as Brian's best lyricist during their peak). Expect more bile from other camps though.

Isn't posting about expecting 'more bile from other camps' before anybody has even said anything derogatory a bit biluous  itself?

I may be 100% on team Brian,  but I've ALWAYS said Mike was Brian's best lyricist,  pet sounds aside.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »

Elephant in the room.

Quite a turn around from the answer he gave when Melinda was with him.  Wink  Evil

Which was?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 12:06:22 PM »

Exactly wirestone!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 12:16:52 PM »

Elephant in the room.

Which was?

He doesn't think about Mike anymore and doesn't want to talk about him.  In interviews like this one, he's always very positive about Mike when he is by himself.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 12:32:53 PM »

How many joint interviews has Brian done with Melinda in the last 15-20 years? Wasn't the one interview they gave in the last month or two one of the first they had done in ages? I believe they may have done a few internet Q&A's as well. How often is Brian giving joint interviews at all?

Brian has actually been giving more unfiltered interviews than anybody else lately. Would any of the other guys have let through a "Did you bang my Mom?" question? And Brian answered it to boot! And it was one of the funniest answers he has ever given? AND... now that I'm thinking about it, wasn't that one actually from one of the joint Q&A's he did with Melinda?

And, I think the original point still stands. Brian has in recent years has, at absolute worst, shown perhaps brevity when asked about Mike, and usually has been complimentary. I won't dredge up the litany of things Mike has said about Brian just in the last few years, but it's a bit ball of genuine compliments mixed in a bunch of back-handed compliments mixed in with rather unflattering things about Brian's present and past.

If someone can show a pattern of Brian being negative about Mike predominantly only in joint interviews alongside Melinda, I'd like to actually see the evidence. I'd even argue that "I don't think much about him" isn't overtly terribly negative. It's perhaps dismissive. Then again, Brian tends to give very blunt answers that usually aren't meant to carry some subtle undertone of dismissiveness.

I do think it's possible that some PR folks or Brian himself could have decided in the aftermath of C50 that they should just avoid talking a lot about Mike in general, especially after the diatribe "interview" Mike offered to David Beard as NPP was being readied for release.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:54:12 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 12:35:09 PM »

Duplicate post.  3D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:54:30 PM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx