gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:03:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's falsetto in the 70's.  (Read 9639 times)
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2015, 05:49:04 AM »

In the early 70's, we know that Brian still had his signature falsetto, this can be proved by California Feelin' & In the Back of My Mind. So, what would be the last recording of Brian's falsetto? He lost it by 1976, correct? And I believe the piano version of "In the Back.." was recorded in 1975, if I'm not mistaken.

Does anyone know what the last recording of his falsetto was?
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 05:51:51 AM »

She's Got Rhythm from the MIU Album in 1978 indicates that he could still access the falsetto, albeit a bit strained. 
KDS
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 05:54:44 AM »

He sounds pretty good on Getcha Back (1985) as well. 

It's been reported that he sings some of the higher parts on Shelter from TWGMTR.

While not quite falsetto, his voice hits some good highs on This Beautiful Day and One Kind of Love from NPP. 
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 06:10:28 AM »

It's been reported that he sings some of the higher parts on Shelter from TWGMTR.

While not quite falsetto, his voice hits some good highs on This Beautiful Day and One Kind of Love from NPP. 

Shelter's a tricky one. Joe claims it's Brian singing the chorus. Alas, everybody hears Jeff in it.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
KDS
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 06:28:46 AM »

Shelter's a tricky one. Joe claims it's Brian singing the chorus. Alas, everybody hears Jeff in it.

Sounds like Jeff to me, but it's been reported by many of the experts here and the BW Forum that it's Brian.  Either way, I like it. 
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 06:59:19 AM »

That's funny. It's definitely not Brian singing the "I'll give you shelter" part. He IS singing the lead "Woah oh oh ohs" immediately after the falsetto bit in question and it's obvious how different the two voices are in contrast.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 08:04:21 AM »

In my opinion, I believe Brian never truly lost his falsetto. It's apparent all throughout the BBs career, not only in the 60's. In She's Got Rhythm from MIU, Brian sings in his signature falsetto, despite being slightly strained. Or in the song Goin' On, I believe Brian is singing falsetto, based on the Our Team footage. Although on the final take, it could've been Bruce, who in the 80's had a better falsetto. In Getcha Back, that's definitely Brian, and he sounds great. Even in 2001, there was a clip of Brian singing Good Vibrations with Carol Kaye playing bass, and he hit all the notes. Or there is the youtube clip where's he asked about his voice, and instantly jumps into his falsetto to prove he still has it.
In the 70's, Brian claimed he was embarrassed of his falsetto. I believe that's why he doesn't use it very much anymore. As everyone on Smiley Smile know, BW is one of the most talented singers in this whole world (see what I did  there?)
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 08:06:09 AM »

I believe Brian sings falsetto on In the Still of the Night from 15 Big Ones... and The Night Was So Young from Love You.  He's also doing falsetto on Kona Coast, Wontcha Come Out Tonight and Winds of Change on MIU.

I have heard that the falsetto on It's OK and Rock & Roll Music (2012 remix) is actually Marilyn.
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 08:49:15 AM »

Or there is the youtube clip where's he asked about his voice, and instantly jumps into his falsetto to prove he still has it.

I've never seen this one before. Does anyone have a link?
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »

In my opinion, I believe Brian never truly lost his falsetto. It's apparent all throughout the BBs career, not only in the 60's. In She's Got Rhythm from MIU, Brian sings in his signature falsetto, despite being slightly strained. Or in the song Goin' On, I believe Brian is singing falsetto, based on the Our Team footage. Although on the final take, it could've been Bruce, who in the 80's had a better falsetto. In Getcha Back, that's definitely Brian, and he sounds great. Even in 2001, there was a clip of Brian singing Good Vibrations with Carol Kaye playing bass, and he hit all the notes. Or there is the youtube clip where's he asked about his voice, and instantly jumps into his falsetto to prove he still has it.
In the 70's, Brian claimed he was embarrassed of his falsetto. I believe that's why he doesn't use it very much anymore. As everyone on Smiley Smile know, BW is one of the most talented singers in this whole world (see what I did  there?)

This.  I don't think he ever really lost his falsetto, except for maybe a brief time in the early 80s.  He just stopped using it all of the time.  Just listen to Caroline No from London in 2002.  He even used it on Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl.  He gets really close on Think About the Days.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 09:10:12 AM »

Or there is the youtube clip where's he asked about his voice, and instantly jumps into his falsetto to prove he still has it.

Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-u5UqsHsMo
Look at 2:03
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 09:51:51 AM »

Two quick Christmas ones...Brian sings a very high vocal part on "Joy To The World", and then there's "the note". On "The First Noel" at the 3:19 mark, Brian sings the word "Noel" in a high, sensitive tone; gets to me every time.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:21:57 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 10:36:12 AM »

Do Ya by The Honeys comes to mind as a late (1978?) however impressive falsetto recording.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 11:15:26 AM »

Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-u5UqsHsMo
Look at 2:03

Brian's answer about Marie Callender's.  LOL
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 11:46:12 AM »

I don't think anyone believes he "lost" his falsetto. The issue is he lost a certain timbre to it around 1974/75 which has never returned.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 11:58:30 AM »

The main issue is not losing the ability to hit the notes. He has it. The thing is having enough control to use it steadily in an artful way. He doesn't have that consistency anymore; allthough in a controled studio environment he can work outstanding treble/falsetto vocals (Rhapsody in Blue and the rest of the examples given). It is a very tricky range, hard to control, and changes a lot from day to day. For instance, he hasn't given a consistent, controled rendition of Surfer Girl in decades; and justifiably so since the falsetto range is the first to go shot with age and lack of vocal health (he tried to murder his young voice in every possible way I think). With time and lack of care, it becomes harder to hold and control the notes, like when he hits a pure high C at the end of Please Let Me Wonder (RAH 2012) but then cannot hold it or finish it gracefully. So, basically, he has the range, can hit the notes, but no longer has the absolute mastery of it.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 12:19:25 PM »

I posted this in a prior thread about Brian's voice.. I want to dispel the myth that Brian lost his falsetto in the 70s.

One thing certain to me is that despite the hoarse 70s leads (from smoking, coke, laryngitis or other illness), Brian never lost his falsetto.

Just listen to the evidence..

74 California Feelin demo
75 In the back of my mind demo

Sherry she needs me
You've lost that lovin Feelin
In the still of the night
Airplane
The night was so young

Most of the MIU album

And then even after the brutal '79-82 years..
We get Getcha Back (strained but classic falsetto)
Little Children demo (crystal clear high notes)
Fat boys wah-wah-wahs
Brian's version of Heaven
Noelle on Christmas album (sick high note at the end)

Etc etc etc..

So even though the falsetto wasn't as youthful and powerful as it once was, Brian still possessed the soaring falsetto for all these years if he chose to use it.

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 12:35:06 PM »

Soaring IMHO would be Brian's lead on She Knows Me Too Well.  I think it's doubtful Brian could sing this or Farmer's Daughter the way he used to, hence the main reason he doesn't do it anymore.  Falsetto doesn't necessarily mean singing high.  Yes, he could easily make his voice sound like a falsetto voice but could he make it soar for a whole song the way he used to?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 12:55:17 PM by mikeddonn » Logged
Jcc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2015, 12:50:04 PM »

I personally witnessed Brian's falsetto voice at his Hollywood Bowl concert in the Fall of 2000.  He was performing the Pet Sounds Album live and the song was "Don't Talk".   He hit the part of the song that goes "...and listen to my heartbeat".  In the original album version, Brian hits the high falsetto from "my" into "heartbeat" and draws it out.  Apparently, that night he was feeling pretty good because he went into that line and I swear to you, it sounded like 1966.  In the middle of the song, the entire Hollywood Bowl crowd jumped to their feet and started cheering.  I still get goosebumps when I think about how awesome it was.

I used to own a boot recording of that concert and I have no idea what happened to it, so I know my memory isn't based on my one-time being present at the event (I got to hear it over and over again on the CD). 
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2015, 12:57:34 PM »

Maybe not soaring at the age of 73..  My point is that he still had a damn good falsetto in the 70s, 80s, 90s and even beyond when he chose to utilize it.  Again, not as powerful as it was in the 60s but still great.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 01:31:42 PM »

I personally witnessed Brian's falsetto voice at his Hollywood Bowl concert in the Fall of 2000.  He was performing the Pet Sounds Album live and the song was "Don't Talk".   He hit the part of the song that goes "...and listen to my heartbeat".  In the original album version, Brian hits the high falsetto from "my" into "heartbeat" and draws it out.  Apparently, that night he was feeling pretty good because he went into that line and I swear to you, it sounded like 1966.  In the middle of the song, the entire Hollywood Bowl crowd jumped to their feet and started cheering.  I still get goosebumps when I think about how awesome it was.

I used to own a boot recording of that concert and I have no idea what happened to it, so I know my memory isn't based on my one-time being present at the event (I got to hear it over and over again on the CD). 

In fairness, he lowered the key for this song (and a couple others, as I recall) for the Pet Sounds tour, but that doesn't diminish the impact.
Imperator
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2015, 11:36:54 PM »

Brian's falsetto is all over the BVs to 15 Big Ones and Love You, he never so much as lost it as his voice changed so drastically it's hard to recognize his falsetto as belonging to the same individual. In "Let Us Go On This Way", he sings falsetto in the chorus. The high notes of "Solar System" are falsetto as well. In "Airplane" he alternates falsetto with Mike's lead. "It's OK" has lots of Brian falsetto all over the track. Even in the Specter cover, "Chapel of Love" you will find Brian falsetto (specifically on the verse after the second chorus, buried rather deep in the mix). Certainly, Brian's falsetto leads became much rarer, though I would like to point out that most of "California Feelin'" 1974 is not falsetto, he only hits falsetto on the high notes. Ditto for '75 "In the Back of My Mind". But he continued to use it regularly, and continues to use it regularly I would add, to this day ("This Beautiful Day").
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 12:35:30 AM »

Again, I think the key point is that there are two different falsettos in play.  There's the effortless one which delivers the EXCLAMATION POINT! at the end of "Fun Fun Fun", or soars through "Don't Talk" without breaking a sweat, and the more strained, earthly one which you hear on "She's Got Rhythm", "Getcha Back", and "This Beautiful Day".  Two distinctly different voices, even though the same guy is singing it.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »

Again, I think the key point is that there are two different falsettos in play.  There's the effortless one which delivers the EXCLAMATION POINT! at the end of "Fun Fun Fun", or soars through "Don't Talk" without breaking a sweat, and the more strained, earthly one which you hear on "She's Got Rhythm", "Getcha Back", and "This Beautiful Day".  Two distinctly different voices, even though the same guy is singing it.

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Exactly my point. The timbre changes drastically, but he never really "loses" his falsetto.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 03:29:00 PM »

When you hear "Good Time" on Love You, it's like a different vocalist just showed up, which in some ways he did (1970-77 being a lifetime in BW terms).

OTOH Love You contains many of my favorite Brian moments so the loss of the falsetto was not an artistic death knell.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:32:04 PM by harrisonjon » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx