-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:54:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Shark Week
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Shark Week  (Read 2901 times)
KDS
« on: July 08, 2015, 08:17:00 AM »

Another one of my summer rituals is upon us. 

Shark Week for the 28th year on the Discovery Channel. 

This year, they've gotten away from the awful trends of recent years ie. fake documentaries and shameless use of Discovery Channel personalities (one year, they had Mythbusters construct a steel shark jaw that they used to crush stuff.  It looked like Shark Week was about to......um...jump the shark, but it's been good so far this year. 
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 11:47:16 AM »

I wonder how Shark Week is going off on the US Southeast Coast.  There's been a ridiculous number of shark attacks off the coasts of North and South Carolina.  Like freakishly high.

Anyway, I never watched Shark Week until last year.  And what you describe is what I saw.  Fake documentaries, mechanical shark jaw crushing stuff.  I was a little confused why this was so popular.  Good to know what I caught wasn't what it's all about.  I'll be sure to check it out.

Rock!

KDS
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 12:28:15 PM »

Bean Bag,

I've been watching Shark Week since year #2 (1989). 

Until fairly recently, it was all shows based on science. 

A few years ago, Discovery started dumbing down Shark Week by adding contributions from Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, etc.  Things really hit rock bottom two years ago, when they debuted a fake documentary about the extinct Megaladon.  They added more much programs last year.  To add insult to injury, they misrepresented some scientists on some of these fake shows by interviewing them talking about real sharks and inserting the clips, and using editing, to show something different. 

Discovery got a new head of programming, and he wanted to restore Shark Week back to its former glory. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 03:45:24 PM »

Nothing beats this for a shark documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s6zy8SB3Is

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »

I've been watching Shark Week since year #2 (1989). 

Until fairly recently, it was all shows based on science. 

A few years ago, Discovery started dumbing down Shark Week by adding contributions from Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, etc.  Things really hit rock bottom two years ago, when they debuted a fake documentary about the extinct Megaladon.  They added more much programs last year.  To add insult to injury, they misrepresented some scientists on some of these fake shows by interviewing them talking about real sharks and inserting the clips, and using editing, to show something different. 

I watched it in the late 80s or early 90s, too. Sadly, that trend over the past decade at least has infected not just Shark Week, but Discovery Channel in general (not to mention History Channel, what was once The Learning Channel but I believe is now officially TLC, and other previously informational channels). It's pretty sad. I like my stupid TV, too: I love a good (or even mediocre) comedy. But it would be nice to have some actual, serious educational programming on, especially with history or science.

Glad Shark Week is reportedly at least somewhat repenting.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 05:19:30 AM »

Mike's Beard,

That's one of my all time favorites.  Had it on VHS as a kid, and burned it to DVD years later.

Capt,

You're 100% right that TV is getting dumber.  But there was a lot of backlash towards the dumbing down of Shark Week in the last three years.  And competing networks like Nat Geo starting doing their own week of shark programming that was superior. 

I will say, while this year has been the best Shark Week in a while, some of the specials still follow the tired reality TV formula. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 09:40:39 AM »

Mike's Beard,

That's one of my all time favorites.  Had it on VHS as a kid, and burned it to DVD years later.

Yeah I had it on vhs as a kid.  Found it on youtube the other day and was stunned that I could remember whole lines just before they were said despite not having seen the thing since the early 90s.
Another National Geographic favourite is on there, 'The Realm of the Alligator', which I also loved as a child.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
KDS
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 08:07:21 AM »

MB,

If you haven't already, check out Shark Planet, the special that aired Thursday night on Shark Week. 

Co-produced by the BBC, I can easily say, it's the best Shark Week program in years, maybe of all time.  No dramatic stories of people trying to get a shot with the reality TV formula.  Just two hours of shark footage with some narration, and occasional interviews sliced in.  It was two hours long, but never felt overly long like many other recent Shark Week programs. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: