gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:21:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TEENSET February 1966 Beach Boys PARTY!!!!!!  (Read 11226 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 10:58:06 PM »

Bruce was indeed announced as Brians replacement. I have ...somewhere...a magazine from The BB fan club at the time, written mostly by Derek Taylor , saying just that. Plus, Brian is interviewed and welcomes Bruce to the fold.

You mean, of course, The Beach Boys Scene
Volume 1, No.2 is dated August 1966;  ( Volume 1, No. 1 dated June 1965 referred to the BB5)  

all three issues  can be seen in this thread : http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10376.msg189837.html#msg189837  ( May 26-June 2 2011)

Thanks for recalling the BB fan club newsletters, Zestrez and bgas, and especially for the link bgas provided to articles in the the earlier thread.

In the earlier thread Bgas posted The Beach Boys Scene August 1966. Derek Taylor’s lead article is entitled “The Legend of the BB 6,” but when referring to the group Bruce is presented as “Brian’s replacement on stage.” It is further stated that “Brian has faith in his stage-substitute Bruce Johnston.” When describing the band, Brian, Dennis, Carl, Mike, and Al are mentioned, “plus phantom Beach Boy Bruce Johnston for personal appearances, and he has known the other Beach Boys long enough to be in on the tight family unit.” In a photo caption Bruce has “(filling in for Brian Wilson on tours)” following his name. Under the title “The Beach Boys” he is pictured, but with the notation, “Bruce joined the group as a ‘phantom’ Beach Boy a year ago. He replaces Brian Wilson in personal appearances and he is well-liked.”

Metal flake paint posted scans of the Oct 66 issue of Hit Parader, stating that “(Brian) quit the road and into his place stepped an unknown 22 year old, Bruce Johnston, 'phantom' Beach Boy. … more important in the range of his voice, he blended swiftly with the boys. And, to Brian’s delight, the substitution worked and fans, he found, accepted his reasons for absence as valid and important."

In the Meet the Beach Boys section, Bruce is described as "the phantom Beach Boy, he is the one who tours in place of Brian Wilson, Beach Boy leader who no longer goes on the road … Bruce Johnston is an admirable fill-in and is achieving a close identity with the boys on personal appearances.”

Bgas posted The Beach Boys Scene 1968-1969 issue. By this time, Bruce is no longer a "phantom Beach Boy" or a "fill-in for Brian Wilson on stage". In this issue, both in photos and in text, Bruce is clearly presented as a full fledged member of the group.

So basically these articles follow my recollection of the way Bruce’s role was described and evolved in the years after he started touring as a fill-in for Brian in concert. In the 1966 articles he is given far less than full status, but rather is described as a “phantom Beach Boy”, who is “a fill-in replacing Brian Wilson on stage”.  By 68-69 he’s a full fledged member.

Does anyone have a copy of The Beach Boys Scene 1967 edition that bgas makes reference to?  It would be interesting to see how Bruce is described at that point (whenever that was in 1967).

As a side note, when reading these articles, it’s interesting to see, back then, how verbose and articulate Brian was when being interviewed.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 11:01:14 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2015, 02:50:04 AM »

GO magazine February 17 and Melody Maker May 6, (both from 1967) continue to refer to Bruce as the 'phantom' Beach Boy.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2015, 06:26:49 AM »

Does anyone have a copy of The Beach Boys Scene 1967 edition that bgas makes reference to?  It would be interesting to see how Bruce is described at that point (whenever that was in 1967).

I've come to realize, since my original post, all evidence points to the three existing issues as the only ones published by the BBs. There isn't a 1967 issue, I just thought there should be.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 09:24:08 AM »

If Bruce did in fact have an contract with Columbia after 1963, rather than Columbia simply agreeing to release his and Terry's efforts as they were submitted, did it actually stipulate that he could sing on non-Columbia releases and be pictured on the back cover of an album, but not the front, with no requirement for a statement on the album such as "Bruce Johnston appears courtesy of Columbia Records"? In other words, would such a contract say, "Hey, go ahead and help enrich other record companies by singing and/or playing on any recordings you want, just as long as your mug isn't shown on the front of an album cover or 45 picture sleeve from another record company"?

Obviously, this question about conjecture revolves around conjecture on my part, Craig, so I await your expert opinion.
This is one reason why a biography of Bruce Johnston needs to be written.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx