gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:39:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Let's do PROMO CDs !!  (Read 14251 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2015, 07:01:20 PM »

Inside covers and discs.  Oddly, the interior of the cover is in color on the counterfeit, but in black and white on the legitimate releases:

The jewel case inserts for the legitimate releases are clear, and there is this photo underneath:

Obviously I got lucky in that the one I posted WAY up above is the legitimate early withdrawn issue. 

I also notice there are a lot of numbers around the hub of this disc, legible from the back side; are these the same on the early and later Capitol versions? I'd presume they're different from the counterfeit version
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 07:08:02 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2015, 07:19:57 PM »

Lee, is there anything inherently different between the legit versions & any clues as to why the '96 was withdrawn - that you know of. And thanks for the tip re id'ing the fake!

- A

Alan, the audio on all three versions is identical; someone obviously got hold of a legitimate one and cloned it for the counterfeit.

The original one was pressed before the Beach Boys put the hold on the box set, but was never issued.  All of them were supposed to be either warehoused or destroyed, but fortunately someone at Capitol liberated a couple boxes of them and sold them off to a few record dealers.  They were originally going for over $50 each, but then the price settled down to the $25-$30 range once it became clear that more than a handful survived.  The mastering information on the disc hubs of both legitimate versions is virtually identical, so it may very well be that they just took the original discs from the warehouse and screened the copyright warning on them later.

Yeah Chris, the counterfeit just has DPRO 11241 in the hub; none of the other markings of the legit ones.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 07:29:24 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2015, 07:31:20 PM »

Lee, is there anything inherently different between the legit versions & any clues as to why the '96 was withdrawn - that you know of. And thanks for the tip re id'ing the fake!

- A

Alan, the audio on all three versions is identical; someone obviously got hold of a legitimate one and cloned it for the counterfeit.

The original one was pressed before the Beach Boys put the hold on the box set, but was never issued.  All of them were supposed to be either warehoused or destroyed, but fortunately someone at Capitol liberated a couple boxes of them and sold them off to a few record dealers.  They were originally going for over $50 each, but then the price settled down to the $25-$30 range once it became clear that more than a handful survived.  The mastering information on the disc hubs of both legitimate versions is virtually identical, so it may very well be that they just took the original discs from the warehouse and screened the copyright warning on them later.

Yeah Chris, the counterfeit just has DPRO 11241 in the hub; none of the other markings of the legit ones.
Rock! Beer Thumbs Up

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2015, 07:56:27 PM »

One last comment on the sampler...  You might think, "Why would someone go to the trouble of counterfeiting a CD sampler?"  You have to remember that there was an 18-month gap between the intended release date of the PET SOUNDS SESSIONS box set, and the eventual release date.  There were fears that it might never be released.  And the sampler contained the full unreleased (at that point) stereo remix of the entire album.  So it was a big deal.  Someone capitalized on that by producing the counterfeit.

There is also a full-on boot of the sampler in a cheap cardboard slipcase with minimal graphics, but I'm not going to give it the decency of reporting; however the almost real-looking counterfeit and its differences from the legit release are important to document from a collector's standpoint.

By the way, the advanced promo cassettes did get sent out a few days before the entire release was put on hold; ESQ was actually asked by Capitol to return its set.

And now that the statute of limitations has run out, by virtue of pointing a deejay friend of mine to a copy of the withdrawn sampler that was listed for sale in Goldmine magazine, I actually got the stereo mix played on a late night show on a local FM station almost a year before the box set came out!  Shocked

Lee
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 06:19:18 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2015, 07:59:21 PM »

By the way, the advanced promo cassettes did get sent out a few days before the entire release was put on hold; ESQ was actually asked by Capitol to return its set.

Lee

Did you return the cassettes? ( I'm thinking: NO )

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2015, 08:05:40 PM »

ESQ returned its set as requested, but I personally got a set for my role as "Research Coordinator," along with a signed thank-you letter from Brian.  That set I kept.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2015, 08:10:42 PM »

ESQ returned its set as requested, but I personally got a set for my role as "Research Coordinator," along with a signed thank-you letter from Brian.  That set I kept.

didThat's very cool considering the note from BW; 
Basically, wondering  if they let you keep yours but return ESQs or if you got them later. and , if later, are they the same as the original set sent to ESQ( maybe they sent you ESQ's?)

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2015, 08:43:02 PM »

If I recall, when the box set was put on hold, David called Capitol and asked if ESQ's set needed to be returned, and they said "yes."  Right or wrong, I didn't make that same offer with the personal set I received...

I think that's enough of my personal bidness for tonight.  Next topic Chris?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 08:46:27 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2015, 04:10:15 AM »

If I recall, when the box set was put on hold, David called Capitol and asked if ESQ's set needed to be returned, and they said "yes."  Right or wrong, I didn't make that same offer with the personal set I received...

I think that's enough of my personal bidness for tonight.  Next topic Chris?

I'm going to round up the scans of BBs promo cassettes from the General topics thread and post them in Media.
Then I think I'll see what other ones I have. Not certain if there are others posted elseweher in other topics, but it seems a good idea to have them all in one easier to find location?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 04:57:39 AM by bgas » Logged

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2015, 06:05:18 AM »

I still have a lot more promo CDs -- solo stuff, side projects, guest vocals, etc. -- before I move on to cassettes.  It's going to be a rainy weekend, so maybe I'll have a chance to post them today or tomorrow.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2015, 06:27:59 AM »

I still have a lot more promo CDs -- solo stuff, side projects, guest vocals, etc. -- before I move on to cassettes.  It's going to be a rainy weekend, so maybe I'll have a chance to post them today or tomorrow.

Sounds really cool, Love to see them!!  Hope your power stays on ( hurricane?)

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2015, 03:41:32 PM »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 02:55:55 PM by bgas » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2015, 02:56:09 PM »

MAN!!  
That's been a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG  Weekend. Is it still raining?  

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:37:06 AM by bgas » Logged

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2015, 03:07:56 PM »

MAN!! 
That's been a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG  Weekend. Is it still raining? 

I found another one here, so I'll post it up for all to see
I Guess nobody else has any or knows how to upload pics or  Has any interest in this subject

Interest - plenty!
Assets not already posted by bgas - none!
 Grin thanks for sharing your impressive collection

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2015, 11:59:48 PM »

Thanks, bags. Still looking forward to more from you and Lee D, etc!

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx