gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:03:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love & Mercy Film - All UK based fans  (Read 12381 times)
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2015, 08:34:43 PM »

The theater I work at is losing it tomorrow. I happen to have tomorrow off. I will be catching the final showing at 4pm (my fourth time), then sticking around for the premiere of "Minions" later in the evening.

And I should be getting the display poster on Friday!   Afro

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2015, 12:29:31 AM »

Saw it this evening in London's fashionable London.  As a somewhat fussy person when it comes to film, I think I could have taken it half an hour shorter, but there are some truly remarkable performances in there, and oh my, those studio scenes, good Lord.  I'd say more but I see that it's currently the 'in' thing to maintain an air of aloof indifference.

Well Wait;  It's Wednesday here and it's already Friday  there? 

Just the UK being ahead of the curve as usual.  In fact it was a private members-only strictly-by-invitation elitist insider old-boys-network nudge-nudge-wink-wink-say-no-more sort of an advance screening.  I'd feel smug about it if it weren't for the fact that everyone in the States saw the thing weeks ago.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2015, 01:37:15 AM »

OK, this is a UK thread, but I wonder what the situation is like in other European countries...

Rocker, do you know if German cinemas are planning to show it?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2015, 03:03:27 AM »

OK, this is a UK thread, but I wonder what the situation is like in other European countries...

Rocker, do you know if German cinemas are planning to show it?

Dunno about Germany overall but there was no shortage of options to watch it in Berlin with posters all over the city.

Ireland has spotty coverage, lots of places in Dublin but a bit limited around the rest of the country.

Sjöman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2015, 03:38:04 AM »

I guess this isn't guaranteed to be comprehensive or 100 % accurate:

IMDb: Love & Mercy (2014) - Release Info: Release Dates
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2015, 04:29:58 AM »

Okay, thanks guys.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2015, 12:02:07 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noH3E5EAnDs

Cool "exclusive" scene from Sony Pictures UK.  See if you recognize the tune Brian is playing.  This is a very powerful scene that leads into an even more powerful sequence recording the tune Brian is playing.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2015, 12:40:09 PM »

Sunday night for me and its a strange one....

Me and the missus, after 6 years and 2 kids have decided to split up. Although the BB/BW obsession is mine, she's been very understanding and long-suffering and has started to like it herself. So, we are having a 'closure date' on Sunday, finishing what has been a mostly excellent relationship with a film we're been anticipating for ages. Gonna be mixed emotions....  Cry

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2015, 01:47:49 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noH3E5EAnDs

Cool "exclusive" scene from Sony Pictures UK.  See if you recognize the tune Brian is playing.  This is a very powerful scene that leads into an even more powerful sequence recording the tune Brian is playing.

I think Banana is picking up good vibrations.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2015, 02:13:24 PM »

sorry to hear Rentatris..I worked with a marriage attorney....always bad days....paralegal...  glad to move on to a better job.  You and the children..best of days for the future.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2015, 03:01:50 PM »

AGD:  Out of curiosity, how did you get to the convention in Connecticut a few years back?   Thanks for signing of your book for me.

Flew to Philadelphia, Amtrak to New Haven, nice dude called David Caporcado (sp. probably off) stood us breakfast and drove us there.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2015, 03:05:55 PM »

The theater I work at is losing it tomorrow. I happen to have tomorrow off. I will be catching the final showing at 4pm (my fourth time), then sticking around for the premiere of "Minions" later in the evening.

And I should be getting the display poster on Friday!   Afro

You will just LOVE the Minions movie. Stay right to the end of the credits.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2015, 03:11:35 PM »

Why would a "Fully signed up and accredited employee of Team Love" want to see L&M?? Wink

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL  (he doesn't drive?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Had two spells managing gas stations, and what I've seen would be enough to put Fangio off driving. Doesn't matter how good a driver you are - or think you are - you can't mitigate for what the idiot behind/in front/either side might do.

And everyone over 55 should be tested yearly... and no-one over 70 should be allowed to drive. Old drivers are an utter menace.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »

Why would a "Fully signed up and accredited employee of Team Love" want to see L&M?? Wink

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL  (he doesn't drive?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh)  Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Had two spells managing gas stations, and what I've seen would be enough to put Fangio off driving. Doesn't matter how good a driver you are - or think you are - you can't mitigate for what the idiot behind/in front/either side might do.

And everyone over 55 should be tested yearly... and no-one over 70 should be allowed to drive. Old drivers are an utter menace.

Your driving days would soon be ending if such a law existed.  LOL LOL
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 04:14:31 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2015, 05:53:55 PM »

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL  (he doesn't drive?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh)  Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Hell, I'd be out of business in two years! Hasn't anyone heard, 87 is the new 70!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »

As stated previously, I don't drive. Should have added that the condition of both cars and drivers was also a factor. I recall a TV show back in the late 70s where they offered peripheral vision tests to older drivers at gas stations. One old boy, 72 or so, was proven to have, essentially, tunnel vision: when he was asked if he'd now consider stopping driving, given this news, his reply was "No... no, I don't think so, I'm a careful driver". Good old Bob, still driving at 83 and never had an accident. Caused quite a few, mind. This isn't me (as usual) being ornery for the sake of it, it's over fifteen years of daily observation.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2015, 10:44:52 PM »

Just as its starting in the UK, some questions about the US release....

http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/07/09/beach-boys-movie-love-and-mercy-sputters-to-an-ignominious-end
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2015, 11:03:15 PM »

Sad. Very sad. Anyone here with a better knowledge of the movie biz than I (that is, any at all), why wasn't it released nationwide from Day One, given the overwhelmingly positive reception in Toronto ?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2015, 11:09:26 PM »

http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/07/09/beach-boys-movie-love-and-mercy-sputters-to-an-ignominious-end

Interesting and very sympathetic comments but this observer is obviously unaware of two very key points:

1) While the Beach Boys are indeed still touring widely they and Brian seem effectively to be estranged, so there's little of no chance of a few songs from them to promote the film.

2) As for the lack of publicity and promotion, Brian has cancelled his September UK tour to take care of that, so everything's gonna be okay and there's no need to worry.

“We live in divisive times.”
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2015, 11:28:23 PM »

Sad. Very sad. Anyone here with a better knowledge of the movie biz than I (that is, any at all), why wasn't it released nationwide from Day One, given the overwhelmingly positive reception in Toronto ?

I would, but I've got this book to read.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2015, 11:29:39 PM »

Your driving days would soon be ending if such a law existed.  LOL LOL

As stated previously, I don't drive. Should have added that the condition of both cars and drivers was also a factor. I recall a TV show back in the late 70s where they offered peripheral vision tests to older drivers at gas stations. One old boy, 72 or so, was proven to have, essentially, tunnel vision: when he was asked if he'd now consider stopping driving, given this news, his reply was "No... no, I don't think so, I'm a careful driver". Good old Bob, still driving at 83 and never had an accident. Caused quite a few, mind. This isn't me (as usual) being ornery for the sake of it, it's over fifteen years of daily observation.

I almost got into an accident on the way to work today by some lady who looked about 5 years younger than God, who was veering between lanes like she was driving a Zamboni, so yeah, I would agree.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2015, 11:31:12 PM »

Didn't this exact same article get posted word for word at another site, by a supposedly different writer, about two weeks ago?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2015, 11:44:56 PM »

The movie is a substantial success. This is the model used for low-budget indie films these days -- narrow releases, then slightly broader, then disc and streaming.

The business has changed substantially within the last five or six years. These kinds of movies are  fortunate if they're in  theaters at all.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2015, 12:09:03 AM »

Oh most definitely. I wish I would have had the chance to see it in the theater. Money issues and other things coming up prevented it, but hopefully it won't be too long before it's streaming and available on Blu-Ray, if this indeed the last week.

jpinmyroom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2015, 12:26:49 AM »

Will be Monday before I get to see it. Unless I get the 10:00 showing on Saturday before work. Got to travel to Birmingham no showing in Wolverhampton.

Wow i thought i was the only BB/BW fan in wolverhampton! Im goin to london to watch it today with a friend to make a day of it. Looked at dudley but its not showing. Try cineworld in bently bridge
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx