gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:20:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love & Mercy Film - All UK based fans  (Read 12378 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 06:15:41 AM »

Fille- though 60 miles in the USA and 60 miles in the UK is technically the same distance, it feels very different. I think as nations we have very different concepts of distance. It could be the roads being less straight here, or more crowded, or fuel being more expensive, or simply a cultural thing from living in a tiny tiny country.

Unreased backgrounds - I do agree it is a different feel in Europe having driven several thousand miles in France (once with 3 kids!) but I drove to a theater in a more remote (non-metropolitan) area to see it.  

And, yikes, gas/essence/gasoil/pétrole is very expensive! (On coûte les yeux de la tête!)   Wink
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 10:31:11 AM »

Okay, just seen that the film opens Friday at the Leeds-Bradford Odeon. If I could get there so the kids could see Paddington, then sure as Hell I'll find a way to see this before the weekend's out! SURF'S UP!!!!!

Counts to ten… exhale…

“We live in divisive times.”
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »

If you folk out there really can't go then you really can't go. If you would like to go but are not real worried about it either way then you really do need to reconsider. This is a quality feature film about OUR guy. That has never happened before and will never happen again. You may be disappointed as some here have been, but most really liked it and many loved it. The theater sized screen and surround sound cannot be over stated. So, as Craig and Charlie put it, walk 500 miles, then walk 500 more if you have to. The fact that you know this board exists means you owe it to yourself. That's all.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2015, 02:02:25 PM »

Okay, just seen that the film opens Friday at the Leeds-Bradford Odeon. If I could get there so the kids could see Paddington, then sure as Hell I'll find a way to see this before the weekend's out! SURF'S UP!!!!!

Counts to ten… exhale…

I hope you love the hell out of it – I think you will.

High Five

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 02:08:37 PM »

According to one Dennis Carl Wilson - and I think he'd know - "Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his fucking messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything".

Will catch it eventually, but the old urge to have/hear/see everything NOW ! has faded of late. It's not that important any more.

I understand your sentiment but I have to say that if you agree with Dennis' conceit and I'm sure you do, this film was made for you.  It isn't like any other biopic you've ever seen about a beloved artist.  There's a thoughtfulness and level of artistry that typically are not present in this genre.  

It's something of a masterpiece of its' kind.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2015, 02:29:42 PM »

Just to add to the chorus of Americans singing "You have to see this movie" in multi-part harmony...

I've seen L&M 3 times (I'm very lucky that I live in a city that has had the film in multiple theatres, and that I also got to see a sneak preview in May).  I have never in my 43 years seen a movie in the theatre 3 times.  I'm not a movie fan - I don't follow any particular actors or directors.  I've only seen a handful of movies in the theatre over the past 15 years, and most of those were special reissues or events like the Monty Python Live simulcast last summer.  I don't even watch movies at home that much - I use Netflix mostly for TV shows and documentaries.

What makes L&M different?  Paul J said above, "This is a quality feature film about OUR guy."  Yes.  We've been wanting this for so long, and it could not have been done with more care and attention to detail.  There are many goodies for the fans - little things that only we would notice and appreciate.   It's so full of emotion that it will break your heart.

It's like this...think back to how you felt the first time you heard the 1967 "Surf's Up".  Or how you felt the first time you heard Brian sing "All those people, they made me feel so alone" in "Midnight's Another Day".  This movie is like that.  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 02:31:56 PM by Margarita » Logged

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2015, 02:33:36 PM »

Well, It's nearly here SO who is rushing out to their local cinema this Friday ?? I'm planning on purchasing copious amounts of popcorn and various carbonated soft drinks and hopefully watch  2 times on opening day (in 2 different cinemas).

Really can't fricking wait   Wink

1 - don't have a cinema in my town (pop. 38,000)...

2 - closest one actually showing it is a good 40 miles away...

3 - work dictates that watching it on the 10th is very, very unlikely...

4 - my interest in the band isn't what it was anyway.
Andrew - I drove 60 miles to see it on day 2 of the U.S. release.  

Bully for you. As it happens, I don't drive.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 02:46:22 PM »

Well, It's nearly here SO who is rushing out to their local cinema this Friday ?? I'm planning on purchasing copious amounts of popcorn and various carbonated soft drinks and hopefully watch  2 times on opening day (in 2 different cinemas).

Really can't fricking wait   Wink

1 - don't have a cinema in my town (pop. 38,000)...

2 - closest one actually showing it is a good 40 miles away...

3 - work dictates that watching it on the 10th is very, very unlikely...

4 - my interest in the band isn't what it was anyway.
Andrew - I drove 60 miles to see it on day 2 of the U.S. release.  

Bully for you. As it happens, I don't drive.
You might have clarified that, Andrew.

You enumerated miles, but omitted your non-driver status.

And, the average distance among the presenting theaters was in that general range for non-metropolitan areas.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2015, 02:49:04 PM »

You assumed. Everyone does.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 02:58:02 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2015, 02:50:26 PM »

Well I'm sure there are still trains that run through England that could get him there. This movie is worth hitch-hiking for.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2015, 02:51:33 PM »

You assumed. Bad call.
No, Andrew.

It was a reasonable inference.  Wink
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2015, 03:06:46 PM »

You assumed. Everyone does.

You'll note I suggested a bus ride( I don't have knowledge of same, but presuming they have such a bus )

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2015, 03:20:37 PM »

Good news, L&M is showing near me at the local arthouse/indie cinema so I'll will get to see it on the big screen this weekend.

Bad news, whilst checking to see where L&M was on I saw the same cinema showed The Wrecking Crew movie tonight (one showing only) and I missed it gaaaah!!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2015, 03:28:24 PM »

Why would a "Fully signed up and accredited employee of Team Love" want to see L&M?? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2015, 03:39:43 PM »

Well I'm sure there are still trains that run through England that could get him there. This movie is worth hitch-hiking for.

I'm sure it is, but I doubt it'll vanish like Brigadoon before I get a chance to see it. Like I said, the need to have something new NOW !! has faded. It'll be the same in a week/month/year as it is now. Which I'm given to understand by a host of folk I trust implicitly is astounding. I look forward to seeing it. Just, not right away. I have a book to read...

Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2015, 04:24:06 PM »

Saw it this evening in London's fashionable London.  As a somewhat fussy person when it comes to film, I think I could have taken it half an hour shorter, but there are some truly remarkable performances in there, and oh my, those studio scenes, good Lord.  I'd say more but I see that it's currently the 'in' thing to maintain an air of aloof indifference.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2015, 05:04:21 PM »

Saw it this evening in London's fashionable London.  As a somewhat fussy person when it comes to film, I think I could have taken it half an hour shorter, but there are some truly remarkable performances in there, and oh my, those studio scenes, good Lord.  I'd say more but I see that it's currently the 'in' thing to maintain an air of aloof indifference.

Well Wait;  It's Wednesday here and it's already Friday  there? 

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2015, 05:23:28 PM »

See it at the movie theater if for no other reason than to experience the audio in full surround sound as intended. Try to sit closer to the screen and in the middle of the aisle because the soundtrack will envelop you and you'll hear it as intended. It's the most jarring and most creative soundtrack I've heard in a long time. The scene near the end where a collage of video and audio takes quick-cut edits through decades of Brian's life...not a spoiler...is stunning. It's meant to be seen and heard on the big screen, in (loud) surround sound.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2015, 05:33:31 PM »

See it at the movie theater if for no other reason than to experience the audio in full surround sound as intended. Try to sit closer to the screen and in the middle of the aisle because the soundtrack will envelop you and you'll hear it as intended. It's the most jarring and most creative soundtrack I've heard in a long time. The scene near the end where a collage of video and audio takes quick-cut edits through decades of Brian's life...not a spoiler...is stunning. It's meant to be seen and heard on the big screen, in (loud) surround sound.

I guess sitting in the back of the theater ( twice) was a bad idea?

Competition Clutch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2015, 05:37:55 PM »

AGD:  Out of curiosity, how did you get to the convention in Connecticut a few years back?   Thanks for signing of your book for me.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2015, 05:57:15 PM »

I guess sitting in the back of the theater ( twice) was a bad idea?

From experience - yes.  Grin  The first time I saw it, I was in a theater that didn't have all that great of a sound system, and I didn't know this going in. I sat a few rows up from the open aisle that sits about 1/4 way up from the screen, when you first walk in. I was a few seats away from the left-side wall, and the sound just wasn't delivering for me.

I went back again, to another theater. I assumed they'd have better sound, as it was an IMAX chain, different from the first one. I was right. I sat in the dead center of the aisle, not too far from the screen itself. And the sound was so much better, it was like hearing all new audio and experiencing the film as it was meant to be.

If that says anything, that's how much of a difference both the theater's sound system and where I sat in the theater made on the experience. The soundtrack is crucial to this film.

At one showing, though, a room close by was running the new Jurassic flick in IMAX, and during quiet moments of dialogue in L&M you'd hear the damned dinosaurs stomping around.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2015, 06:14:42 PM »

Playing pretty much everywhere here in Ireland.

Seeing it this weekend, can't wait  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2015, 06:39:48 PM »

Why would a "Fully signed up and accredited employee of Team Love" want to see L&M?? Wink

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL  (he doesn't drive?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2015, 07:17:45 PM »

At one showing, though, a room close by was running the new Jurassic flick in IMAX, and during quiet moments of dialogue in L&M you'd hear the damned dinosaurs stomping around.  Smiley

That was probably just Landy's ghost...

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2015, 07:58:21 PM »

When you live in the U.S., it seems pretty straightforward to travel to a nearby town to see the film.

I spent six weeks driving all over the UK and her neighbors a few years back. One of the big things we discovered in our travels abroad is that it generally took us a lot longer timewise to get from Point A to Point B over there than in the US. The road systems are just different.

So it may not be as easy to get to a theatre that's showing L&M, as you might think from looking at a map. When our overseas members do get to the theatre, I hope they'll find the film worth the effort. (I did.)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx