gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:24:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love & Mercy Film - All UK based fans  (Read 12376 times)
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2015, 02:23:53 PM »

Well, It's nearly here SO who is rushing out to their local cinema this Friday ?? I'm planning on purchasing copious amounts of popcorn and various carbonated soft drinks and hopefully watch  2 times on opening day (in 2 different cinemas).

Really can't fricking wait   Wink
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 02:28:32 PM »

Can't you simply walk around the theater between showings, buy more popcorn/soda/crackerjacks and then walk back in for the next showing?
Sortof the double feature of olden days

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 02:30:59 PM »

Can't you simply walk around the theater between showings, buy more popcorn/soda/crackerjacks and then walk back in for the next showing?
Sortof the double feature of olden days

Olden days !!! What's that ? Like vinyl, and live gigs without autotune etc......  LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 03:05:44 PM »

Well, It's nearly here SO who is rushing out to their local cinema this Friday ?? I'm planning on purchasing copious amounts of popcorn and various carbonated soft drinks and hopefully watch  2 times on opening day (in 2 different cinemas).

1 - don't have a cinema in my town (pop. 38,000)...

2 - closest one actually showing it is a good 40 miles away...

3 - work dictates that watching it on the 10th is very, very unlikely...

4 - my interest in the band isn't what it was anyway.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 03:17:19 PM »

Yet you seem balls to the wall excited about Mike's book and rumblings of a solo musical project.... Wink.    Something is rotten in Denmark.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 03:26:45 PM »

I've booked my tickets for Friday night in Glasgow.

I saw it a few weeks ago at the UK Premier in Edinburgh.  Can't wait to see it again though! Grin
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 03:45:54 PM »

1 & 2; is there time to do a kickstarter to pay for the bus ride and ticket?

3; knowing your reputation as THE UK Beach Boys historian, how could your employer not let you out for the opening? 

4; Fortunately for you, L&M is mostly about Brian, not the band ( but you knew that) 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 04:03:35 PM »

1 & 2; is there time to do a kickstarter to pay for the bus ride and ticket?

3; knowing your reputation as THE UK Beach Boys historian, how could your employer not let you out for the opening?  

4; Fortunately for you, L&M is mostly about Brian, not the band ( but you knew that)  

According to one Dennis Carl Wilson - and I think he'd know - "Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his fucking messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything".

Will catch it eventually, but the old urge to have/hear/see everything NOW ! has faded of late. It's not that important any more.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:06:31 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 06:04:12 PM »

I dare you to tell all that to myKe luHv tomorrow when you talk to him.   Razz

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 10:43:00 PM »

In a similar boat to Andrew. No local showings - nearest is 30+ miles away on July 31, at 11am on a work day.

That said my obsession with Brian and the band is not diminished… just restrained by kids.

“We live in divisive times.”
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 11:29:10 PM »

My nearest showing is a bit of a trek, think I'll just wait for the damn thing to come out on dvd.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 12:59:11 AM »

Like Andrew, my closest cinema that's showing this is at least an hour away and I just can't be bothered to travel that far when I can watch it on DVD! If it was closer I'd be first to see it on Friday but there you go.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 02:09:45 AM »

It's showing quite a few places near me.  There's even a parent and baby screening down the road, so I'll see if the wife's up for that.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 02:17:17 AM »

I'm seeing it in Leeds on Friday evening. Also taking someone along who's knowledge of Brian/BBs is limited to the big hits so it'll be interesting to get that perspective too.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 02:19:47 AM »

Lucky UK. As for the Low Countries.... It seems... Well, this is the sentence in Dutch, as I found it:

De film draait niet in de nederlandse of Belgische bioscopen

Which when translated literally says, "The film is not being shown
in Dutch and Belgian cinemas". It would be nice to believe they mean
"not at the moment" but I'm rather afraid that's not what they mean. :=(

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 02:22:10 AM »

Well, the nearest showing for me is 30 miles away in Bristol so I'll have to wait

Annoyingly, all the cinemas near me are showing The Minions back to back.
Which would be fine but I went on the opening day expecting it to be The Wrecking Crew film*

*Disclaimer: This is a joke. I fully understand their importance in music history. Probably**

**Please don't ban me
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 02:32:44 AM »

Well, the nearest showing for me is 30 miles away in Bristol so I'll have to wait

Which would be fine but I went on the opening day expecting it to be The Wrecking Crew film*

*Disclaimer: This is a joke. I fully understand their importance in music history. Probably**

**Please don't ban me

LOL

(I recommend the Minions btw, great fun!)

“We live in divisive times.”
Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 03:41:27 AM »

Will be Monday before I get to see it. Unless I get the 10:00 showing on Saturday before work. Got to travel to Birmingham no showing in Wolverhampton.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 04:51:02 AM »

For those saying they're waiting for the DVD, I implore you to find any way to see this in the theaters. Visually, it's amazing to see on a big screen, but the real magic is the booming sound of a cinema.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 05:16:33 AM »

**Please don't ban me

I'm up in Berkeley (Glos) , so going to a Bristol VUE ( Longwell Green) about 20 odd miles away (there maybe more local screenings ie Gloucester, but I haven't checked) - That way I can pop in and see my old dad who lives just down the road from the cinema
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 05:44:51 AM »

**Please don't ban me

I'm up in Berkeley (Glos) , so going to a Bristol VUE ( Longwell Green) about 20 odd miles away (there maybe more local screenings ie Gloucester, but I haven't checked) - That way I can pop in and see my old dad who lives just down the road from the cinema

I've read somewhere that the Watershed in Bristol is showing it from Friday too
I'm in Bath and just seen that our Little Cinema is showing it from Friday and all next week-3 showings a day so I should get to see it-hurrah!!
To celebrate I'm going to wear a fireman's helmet
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 05:46:13 AM »

Andrew - I drove 60 miles to see it on day 2 of the U.S. release.  It was far shorter than distances I've gone to see either BW/BB or those in their performance sphere. It was focused, and meticulously true to the studio work, and, overall does a "public service" in the manner a family member or friend may have to go in order to battle "the system" to assure that this person doesn't "fall through the cracks" of said system.  

The arrangements are fabulous and I found it very fair to the personages in the BB/BW sphere. If you can make the time to see it, I think you will be similarly impressed.  Almost everyone I spoke to at the show last week had already seen the film which really connected and enhanced the live show experience.  Wink

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2015, 06:02:25 AM »

Fille- though 60 miles in the USA and 60 miles in the UK is technically the same distance, it feels very different. I think as nations we have very different concepts of distance. It could be the roads being less straight here, or more crowded, or fuel being more expensive, or simply a cultural thing from living in a tiny tiny country.

Please delete my account
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 06:11:16 AM »

For a film that has garnered countless positive critic reviews, a mass of positive public reception, I think that in this instance the worries of distance/culture/winding roads should be set aside.

Granted, Andrew never said he wasn't going to see it in the theaters, just that he possibly wasn't going to see it on the 10th. I do hope you get to see it soon, Andrew, and that you'll share your review with us here!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 06:11:57 AM »

Yeah, I don't go 60 miles easily.  Any film that wants me to see it, or any live act that wants me there has to put in some of the leg-work and come near me.  Living in London means they usually do.

I see my kid is actually too old for a parent and baby screening, so that's that out of the window, but he's still too young to keep quiet at a standard showing, so I'd have thought the concept would be much the same.  Shame.  I'll see it at an Odeon near work, maybe Friday, maybe some other day.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx