gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:16:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Friends  (Read 19056 times)
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 03:18:56 AM »

Friends is one of my favourite BB albums. An album of pure bliss, just wonderful for the time.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 03:25:45 AM »

My personal favorite and a very adventurous album in many ways. It's very obvious that Brian cared a lot about this one. To me it feels a bit like Smile part 2, the 'laid-back edition'.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 04:34:32 AM »

My personal favorite and a very adventurous album in many ways. It's very obvious that Brian cared a lot about this one. To me it feels a bit like Smile part 2, the 'laid-back edition'.

Yes I agree about the smile vibe. The production is really detailed, but subtly so. One of my faves by the band also. Can't understand those that decry Friends - arguably one of the more cohesive BB albums - and then go on about how great 20/20 is.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2015, 05:04:58 AM »

Friends is probably the last time the band released an album that didn't include tracks from the vault or recorded before the album sessions proper.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KDS
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2015, 05:17:48 AM »

Brian's been doing a pretty good job keeping tracks from Friends in his setlists. 

I think he did Meant for You and the title track in the early 2000s.  Little Bird during the Beck tour.  Now, Wake the World and Busy Doin Nothing. 

Its a shame nothing from Friends cracked the setlist of the C50 tour. 
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2015, 06:50:27 AM »

I'm not sure the rest of the band loves that album. I know Bruce has criticized the album art more than a few times and in the 2nd "Brian Wilson Songwriter" DVDs, he dismisses the album as a whole.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2015, 07:26:47 AM »

I'm not sure the rest of the band loves that album. I know Bruce has criticized the album art more than a few times and in the 2nd "Brian Wilson Songwriter" DVDs, he dismisses the album as a whole.

It's strange how he dismisses Friends while Sunflower is his favorite. These two albums aren't THAT different after all.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2015, 07:27:45 AM »

I like to listen to "Friends" very early in the morning, shortly after sunrise. I'm hardly ever up that early, mind you... but when I am, I find it to be the perfect album to start the day with. And yes, it is better during the summer, but anytime of year is fine with me, even during the insanely harsh Syracuse winters! I love that album, from start to finish.

Smiley
I woke up early for no reason and now I can't go back to bed, so I'm trying this out.
It was light already, like you said, but there are still some "early morning" vibes.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2015, 07:34:49 AM »

I love the Friends album. While others may disagree, I think it's just as cohesive as Pet Sounds. I listened to the Friends album when I am stressed. It's just so soothing, and it sounds like the band was at peace, which it seems they were. Mike had just discovered the effects of meditation, Brian was feeling a bit better, Denny and Al were probably happy about being able to write more, and as for Carl and Bruce- how could you not be happy recording music like this???
The instrumentation is great. You've got ukuleles, organs, upright basses, and so much more.... Unlike Wild Honey's rocking, hard-hitting drums, the drumming on Friends is very tasteful. Did Denny play these drums? I know the WC was brought in for some tracks, but if it was indeed Dennis, it really shows how he grew as a drummer. As I said, the WC was brought in from time to time, but I think Friends really shows the bands progression as instrumentalists. Friends is a great album filled with honest, "slice of life" songs.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2015, 08:02:16 AM »

Friends is probably the last time the band released an album that didn't include tracks from the vault or recorded before the album sessions proper.

The only possible exception I can think of is Holland. Yes, "Big Sur" was recorded in a previous version, but the album track was brand new.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2015, 08:15:55 AM »

It's strange how he dismisses Friends while Sunflower is his favorite. These two albums aren't THAT different after all.

To my mind they are. If they were paintings, I'd say Friends was done in watercolours (or pastels) and Sunflower in oils (no pun intended).

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2015, 09:59:47 AM »

Friends was the one weak BBs album in the 60s and their last official lp of the decade, Little bird was THE song on it in my opinion.

How was it their last official album of the decade?   
20/20 came out in '69, and that's an "official" album isn't it?

Either way though, Friends was/is really good, and so is 20/20 in it's own way.
I'd rather listen to those albums than, say, most anything after Holland.
KDS
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2015, 10:08:07 AM »

Friends was the one weak BBs album in the 60s and their last official lp of the decade, Little bird was THE song on it in my opinion.

How was it their last official album of the decade?   
20/20 came out in '69, and that's an "official" album isn't it?

Either way though, Friends was/is really good, and so is 20/20 in it's own way.
I'd rather listen to those albums than, say, most anything after Holland.

Don't get him started Senor. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2015, 10:18:44 AM »

I love Friends. I feel like it would be the last album for a long while where Brian was going for a "sound" for an entire record, if that makes any sense. As in, just as there is a Pet Sounds sound and a Smile sound, there is also a Friends sound. Maybe there's a Sunflower sound (less sure about that myself) and a Holland sound too but I don't think that Brian can take responsibility for it in those cases.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2015, 03:26:52 PM »

The only possible exception I can think of is Holland. Yes, "Big Sur" was recorded in a previous version, but the album track was brand new.

The original version, I'll give you... but the released version made partial use of a 1971 version of "Sail On, Sailor", according to SWD.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2015, 03:39:11 PM »

A "chill out" album made about 30 years before the phrase was coined.  Special, unique, eccentric as f*ck - and I never go on holiday without it!  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 07:37:39 AM by James Hughes-Clarke » Logged

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2015, 06:22:14 PM »

As mentioned earlier, here's Bruce's assessment of the album from the Brian Wilson Songwriter DVD (extended interview):

https://youtu.be/7nZjikvKQSo?t=1m27s

BTW, he wasn't kind about the album cover either on the 30th Anniversary special.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:24:00 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
The Foot Fetish Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2015, 07:07:26 PM »

If Brian performed this in it's entirety, I'd probably use vacation time to follow the entire tour.

Friends and 20/20 are the two albums that got me into The Beach Boys. Friends may not be everyone's cup of tea but I think it is a very strong album.

Mine, too!
I did have Made In The USA and Pet Sounds on CD before that...and I still have the single I bought in 1981 of "Come Go With Me" and then my brother's 8 track tape of Best of The Beach Boys Vol. 2" but I didn't feel any need to go headlong into their catalog until I visited the all night WalMart store here in early 1993 when I was 23 and bought the two-fer of Friends/2020 just on a whim. I listened to it at 2 in the morning and I was so struck by the chords and harmonies...I HAD to have more.
The next day I went back out and bought the two-fer of Smiley Smile/Wild Honey.....
Let's just say that after becoming obsessed overnight with Friends/2020 and then hearing Smiley Smile I had the same knee jerk reaction that I had when I was 14 in 1984 and bought Todd Rundgren's "A Wizard A True Star" after buying "Hermit Of Mink Hollow" and Utopia's "Oblivion" and self-titled album from '82.
I hoped this experience with the Beach Boys/Brian would be similar to that of Todd...that is, giving me a musical education that felt like disappointment but gradually learning to worship those albums as well what originally intrigued me about the artists.

Nothin' but a foot fetish thang! (Thank you, Brittany Michelle)
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2015, 07:09:01 PM »

The man also thought a Disco version of Pipeline was a good idea as well as putting a jarring disco song thats over 10 minutes long on a "light album". I like Bruce and he's done some good stuff, is incredibly talented, but his ideas of good musical choices can be criticized  Grin..to put it mildly
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2015, 10:02:24 PM »

The original version, I'll give you... but the released version made partial use of a 1971 version of "Sail On, Sailor", according to SWD.

Ah, never heard that Desper said that before. I knew that the song had been woodshedded for a long time but didn't realize part of the track itself was already old. Thanks for the info, man.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:04:19 PM by Jesse Reiswig » Logged
rogerlancelot
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2015, 10:35:10 PM »

Can we count "Little Bird" incorporating part of "Child Is Father Of The Man"?

Grin
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2015, 11:37:30 PM »

Ah, never heard that Desper said that before. I knew that the song had been woodshedded for a long time but didn't realize part of the track itself was already old. Thanks for the info, man.

Now granted, I'm not in the best of moods right now, so my mind may be a bit fuzzy...but...did I just read that the Holland version of Big Sur used part of the 1971 version of Sail on Sailor?

Wow...that's pretty cool....

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2015, 11:55:24 PM »

I like how he worked the dynamics on the album... in several parts they're trying to sing very soft and tender, it really shows off how their voices were so beautiful and didn't need all the power that had been so stunning on all their other stuff.  You can listen to "Little Bird" and how delicate Dennis sings, and then listen to something like "Girls on the Beach" and hear them at full swell, a completely different sound. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2015, 12:45:28 AM »

I don't get it either, it seems to me that it's another one of Brian's eccentric masterpieces... hell it was recorded in his living room, right?  Doesn't get much cooler than that....

Partly... maybe half of it, or a tad more.

Speaking of BB tracks with significant amounts of home living room recording as part of the song... Were there any songs of that sort that were hits? Perhaps some of Do it Again? Or was living room recording the kiss of death commercial/sales-wise for the band? Not saying that there's necessarily any direct correlation, and I love homespun BB records, but there may be something to be said for the hits drying up once the pro studio sound changed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2015, 12:50:45 AM »

How about BB85?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx