gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:44:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Friends  (Read 19170 times)
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2015, 06:30:36 PM »

This is a very "summer" album.

Just saying.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:31:49 PM by lostbeachboy » Logged
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 06:33:18 PM »

Friends was the one weak BBs album in the 60s and their last official lp of the decade, Little bird was THE song on it in my opinion.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 06:52:34 PM »

Friends was the one weak BBs album in the 60s and their last official lp of the decade, Little bird was THE song on it in my opinion.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but for the life of me, I do not understand when people say this is a weak album. And I've heard that opinion from others, too. I think it's quite cohesive overall, and a super rad album to chill out to. It's imperfect, but still a mini-masterpiece IMO.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 07:09:46 PM »

To me, it sounds like an early spring album and 20/20 sounds like a fall/winter album (especially "Time To Get Alone" and "The Nearest Far Away Place"). Looking Back With Love sounds like a really bad hangover.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 07:11:59 PM »

a total classic and one of Brian's favorites, if not his absolute favorite.

nothing weak about it, in my opinion. on the contrary, it's one of the most "Brian" albums they made and it inhabits a very unique and special place in all of recorded music. Brian took all of his know-how in the studio and crafting song and harmony and created a completely personal yet universal gem of a record (with the help of his bandmates), without trying to compete or be #1. just honest uplifting music. there really aren't words for how much the album means to me.

the Friends medley on Brian's current tour was the highlight for me and makes me wish he would perform the entire album at some point.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:15:34 PM by bossaroo » Logged
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 07:16:18 PM »

If Brian performed this in it's entirety, I'd probably use vacation time to follow the entire tour.

Friends and 20/20 are the two albums that got me into The Beach Boys. Friends may not be everyone's cup of tea but I think it is a very strong album.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 07:29:15 PM »

It's a great album. I even like Anna Lee the Healer and Transcendental Meditation which get seems to get a lot of hate. It was one of the first BBs albums I heard (as part of the 70s LP twofer). Not a Summer album to me, but it does have a very warm cozy feel to it.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 08:09:20 PM »

Little bird was THE song on it in my opinion.
I dunno. I thought it had 11 other songs on it, too?
I'm teasin' ;P

also, this album gets +1 for ukulele usage. I love Diamond Head.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
halblaineisgood
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 10:16:17 PM »

This is a very "summer" album.

Just saying.
Thanks for the tip!  Cheesy
halblaineisgood
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 10:21:58 PM »

Little bird was THE song on it in my opinion.
I dunno. I thought it had 11 other songs on it, too?
I'm teasin' ;P

also, this album gets +1 for ukulele usage. I love Diamond Head.
Hello everyrone,
It is so wonderful. during this time, that there them purdy songs on this here disc which exist ....that the production in this album, an album that has been in the can for many, many, months--with warmth......12 songs designed for you, and with solely you- in mind .

Sincerely avuncular,

"Friends"
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 10:27:05 PM »

I like to listen to "Friends" very early in the morning, shortly after sunrise. I'm hardly ever up that early, mind you... but when I am, I find it to be the perfect album to start the day with. And yes, it is better during the summer, but anytime of year is fine with me, even during the insanely harsh Syracuse winters! I love that album, from start to finish.

Smiley
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 10:28:52 PM »

the Friends medley on Brian's current tour was the highlight for me and makes me wish he would perform the entire album at some point.

I'd pay any amount of money to see such a show, even if it meant flying halfway around the world.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 10:38:03 PM »

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but for the life of me, I do not understand when people say this is a weak album. And I've heard that opinion from others, too. I think it's quite cohesive overall, and a super rad album to chill out to. It's imperfect, but still a mini-masterpiece IMO.

Just because people have opinions doesn't mean they're right. In my opinion, of course. Smiley

Friends is an awesome record. So much great stuff on there.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 10:51:04 PM »

When my records were still alphabetized (If only...)I"be listening to it now"
I could go to the record cabinet and thumb around blind.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 10:55:34 PM »

I agree that the nearer to sunrise one is though
so, I'll take thatlong to to find  .  there it is.
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 11:00:17 PM »

I agree that the nearer to sunrise one is though
so, I'll take thatlong to to find  .  there it is.

The sun rises earlier in the summer, I don't like it, makes me feel like poop when I'm still awake at 5 AM and it's light out.

Let's be friends
halblaineisgood
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 11:09:30 PM »

The sun rises earlier in the summer, I don't like it, makes me feel like poop when I'm still awake at 5 AM and it's light out.

Let's be friends
We can meet up at the home depot...I'll buy you some curtains. We'll hang 'em up. Then we'll hang out  We're gonna be buddies.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 11:15:35 PM »

I'll be Robbie Robertson, if you'll be my Martin Scorsese. Window duties. repertory cinema, etc.   Head Spin
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 11:37:43 PM »

I don't get it either, it seems to me that it's another one of Brian's eccentric masterpieces... hell it was recorded in his living room, right?  Doesn't get much cooler than that....
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 11:38:43 PM »

Friends is a great mellow out album. Side one is solid, the second half a tad inconsistent - I think the two Dennis songs are the weakest things on the album. Still, a wonderful entry in the BB canyon.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 11:39:26 PM »

I love side one - perfection. Side two falls off quite a bit.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 11:40:14 PM »

How can you say Little Bird is the only good song, when everybody from toddlers to grandmothers absolutely loves the title track?  
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 02:06:24 AM »

I don't get it either, it seems to me that it's another one of Brian's eccentric masterpieces... hell it was recorded in his living room, right?  Doesn't get much cooler than that....

Partly... maybe half of it, or a tad more.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 02:44:48 AM »

My one-that-hasn't-sunk-in-yet-but-surely-will-in-the-fullness-of-time Beach Boys album.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 03:02:46 AM »

Friends is a great mellow out album. Side one is solid, the second half a tad inconsistent - I think the two Dennis songs are the weakest things on the album. Still, a wonderful entry in the BB canyon.

I agree. I like Dennis' songs but they just don't fit to my ears. I'd rather they'd put in something like Sail Plane Song/Time To Get Alone and I Went To Sleep instead.
Busy Doing Nothing and Diamond Head are brilliant and i even love Transcendental Meditation - i'm sure Brian's having a laugh there writing one of the hardest rocking BB's tracks with discordant jazz chords to celebrate the extremely mellow practice of TM.
Friends itself, is a brilliantly written song. Top five BB's album as far as i'm concerned.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx