gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:13:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Friends  (Read 19058 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2015, 02:35:18 PM »

Craig's Friend's sessionography in Vol. 20, issue 4 of ESQ lists "Wake The World" and "Be Here In The Morning" as featuring Mike vocals, along with his two leads.

Mike's parts on those two songs were added afterwards, since he was indeed in India during the initial recording of them (which is probably why Murry stepped in to add the low bass voice on "Be Here In The Mornin'"). But Mike is apparently not on "Friends" or "Little Bird", also recorded while he was in India. As for the rest of the album - I don't think Mike is on "When A Man Needs A Woman" or "Passing By", and definitely not on "Be Still" or "Diamond Head". As for "Transcendental Meditation" - despite that being written by Brian-Mike-Al, Brian is definitely the only BB I hear on there. Some of stated they think Al is, but I truly believe it's just Bri and Marilyn singing. The track was cut at the very end of the sessions, while the guys were away on the ill-fated tour of the southeast, and I don't think they bothered to add anyone else to it after they returned.

As for my Friends album sessionography in ESQ...since the time that was initially published seven years ago, new information has come to light - including inside skivvy from Alan Boyd that it's Brian, not Dennis, playing the organ on "Be Still" (and Brian did so again, a year later, for Steve Kalinich's version of the song), and the fact that Bruce plays piano on "Meant For You" while Brian plays organ.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:47:09 PM by c-man » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2015, 02:42:03 PM »

Everyone claims Bruce wasn't present at these sessions, but I think he was. I can hear his harmony singing built into many songs. Also, Bruce has a very signature (sort of amateur) style of bass playing, that can be found all over Wild Honey, that seems present on Friends.

Agreed, except when it comes to Bruce playing bass on Friends. He played it on "Wild Honey" (the track), but for the rest of the Wild Honey (album) songs, it's mostly Carl (definitely on "Country Air" and "Let The Wind Blow") and Ron Brown (definitely on "Darlin'" and "I Was Made To Love Her"). Bruce is listed among the players on the AFM sheet for "Passing By", but as I stated above, I think he probably played an electric keyboard on that one - but, since I haven't heard that particular session tape (to date), I can't say for sure. For most of the Friends album, though, it's Lyle Ritz on bass (sometimes playing an upright, sometimes an electric), with Jimmy Bond on the title track (upright) and one of the BBs (I'm guessing Carl) on "Ana Lee" (electric).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2015, 03:42:56 PM »

According to Elliott in DAG #3, the band's attendance at the Friends sessions was as follows (home studio unless otherwise noted):

2/29 - Little Fish In A Brook (= Little Bird): no info (on aural evidence, Dennis, Brian & Carl minimum)

3/6 - Be Here In The Morning Darling (track #1): eight musicians including Brian

3/13 - Friends: no info (on aural evidence, Brian, Carl & Alan: SWD confirms Murry on bass vocal in chorus)

3/18 - Untitled #1 (= When A Man needs A Woman): five musicians incl. Brian

3/20 - Our Happy Home: all six BB contribute vocals

3/22 - Passing By: eight musicians incl. Brian, Bruce and A. N. Other BB (likely Carl)

3/26 - Even Steven (= Busy Doin' Nothin')/"New Song" (= Doves Of Peace/Spanish Guitar instrumental): Brian (as producer)

3/28 - Wake The World track (two sessions): Brian (as prod)

3/29 - Be Here In The Morning (track #2): six musicians including  ?Brian

3/30 - Wake the World vocals (at ID Sound): five BB, no Mike

3/31 - Be Here In The Morning vocals (ID Sound): five BB

4/1 - Meant For You (ID Sound): all six BB

4/2 - Anna Lee, The Healer (at ID Sound): five BB play on the track, all six sing

4/4 - Transcendental Meditation track (at ID Sound): Brian (as producer) [BB on tour]

4/11 - Busy Doin' Nothin' (at ID Sound): Brian (presumably vocals)

4/12 - Diamond Head (at ID Sound): Brian (as producer)

4/13 - Be Still: Dennis [this date has to be inaccurate unless Dennis flew in from Florida to record the song, then flew back on the same day - thoughts, Craig ?]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 03:53:08 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2015, 04:03:10 PM »

Craig's Friend's sessionography in Vol. 20, issue 4 of ESQ lists "Wake The World" and "Be Here In The Morning" as featuring Mike vocals, along with his two leads.

Mike's parts on those two songs were added afterwards, since he was indeed in India during the initial recording of them (which is probably why Murry stepped in to add the low bass voice on "Be Here In The Mornin'"). But Mike is apparently not on "Friends" or "Little Bird", also recorded while he was in India. As for the rest of the album - I don't think Mike is on "When A Man Needs A Woman" or "Passing By", and definitely not on "Be Still" or "Diamond Head". As for "Transcendental Meditation" - despite that being written by Brian-Mike-Al, Brian is definitely the only BB I hear on there. Some of stated they think Al is, but I truly believe it's just Bri and Marilyn singing. The track was cut at the very end of the sessions, while the guys were away on the ill-fated tour of the southeast, and I don't think they bothered to add anyone else to it after they returned.

As for my Friends album sessionography in ESQ...since the time that was initially published seven years ago, new information has come to light - including inside skivvy from Alan Boyd that it's Brian, not Dennis, playing the organ on "Be Still" (and Brian did so again, a year later, for Steve Kalinich's version of the song), and the fact that Bruce plays piano on "Meant For You" while Brian plays organ.

Thanks for the detailed and updated info, Craig.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2015, 04:58:49 PM »

According to Elliott in DAG #3, the band's attendance at the Friends sessions was as follows (home studio unless otherwise noted):

I really hope a lot of this stuff (especially the early alternate versions) shows up on the 2018 copyright extension release...since we'll likely never get a box set.  Session audio of Murry in the studio singing would be a trip as well.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 05:00:49 PM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2015, 05:03:12 PM »

Many thanks to Craig and AGD for the info!

I really hope a lot of this stuff (especially the early alternate versions) shows up on the 2018 copyright extension release...since we'll likely never get a box set.  Session audio of Murry in the studio singing would be a trip as well.

I think you're absolutely right about the boxset, but I'm hopeful about a copyright extension release. Shame we'll have to wait 3 years for it, but the wait will be worth it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »

Transcendental Meditation always sounded like a radio jingle that Brian wrote as a commercial for TM. You could almost hear Mike doing a voice-over as Transcendental Meditation plays in the background.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2015, 09:39:38 PM »

<<4/13 - Be Still: Dennis [this date has to be inaccurate unless Dennis flew in from Florida to record the song, then flew back on the same day - thoughts, Craig ?]>>

My guess would be 4/3. Just a guess, though.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2015, 11:46:06 PM »

That or 3/3... I think yours is the more likely.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2015, 04:27:49 AM »

C-man - as per MFP, thanks so much for the info, it's invaluable.

However, I find it strange that the band would 'later' put Mike's vocals on only BHITM and WTW, but not the rest of the tracks in the can while he was in India.  I wonder why these two tracks received a post-session Mike augmentation, but the rest did not.

Any speculation appreciated - cheers - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2015, 05:27:16 AM »

C-man - as per MFP, thanks so much for the info, it's invaluable.

However, I find it strange that the band would 'later' put Mike's vocals on only BHITM and WTW, but not the rest of the tracks in the can while he was in India.  I wonder why these two tracks received a post-session Mike augmentation, but the rest did not.

Any speculation appreciated - cheers - A

My guess would be Brian, Mike, or the group as a whole decided those songs needed Mike's voice, and the others were fine as was.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2015, 05:30:32 AM »

I can't believe no one has pointed out the obvious typo in one of my posts above...but to set the record straight, it should read "inside skinny", not "inside skivvy". Not that that sounds much better!  Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx