gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:16:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Rock-n-Roll HOF Speech  (Read 5565 times)
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2015, 07:41:22 PM »

Mike Love's infamous acceptance speech has been much discussed (and rightly so), but I noticed something interesting after watching Brian's acceptance speech once again. During his very gracious and uplifting speech, and mentioning that it had been 27 years since he had written Surfin', Brian says, "We want to do the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame proud, and 27 years from now I'd like to come back and get re-inducted all over again." To which Carl enthusiastically yells, "Yeah!" and the crowd erupts into applause.

So 27 years from that date is 2015. How cool would it be if Brian were to be recognized once again in 2015 by the RnR HOF for his accomplishments over the ensuing 27 years since that 1988 induction? Considering everything else currently happening in his career it would seem rather fitting.

EDIT: Well, seeing now that the 2015 ceremony has already taken place this year, all I can say is bummer.  Sad
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 08:04:11 PM by Gregg » Logged
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 08:08:42 PM »

That would be awesome!  I've thought the same myself.  I know other artists have been inducted outside of their primary group association.  The problem might be that perhaps Brian's solo material isn't as consistent as the Beach Boys.  If there were a nitpick, that would likely be it.  That said, I think completing SMiLE and then taking into account the totality of the work over a long period of time, it only makes sense that the mastermind behind the Beach Boys also be enshrined and honored.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 10:53:31 PM »

That would be awesome!  I've thought the same myself.  I know other artists have been inducted outside of their primary group association.  The problem might be that perhaps Brian's solo material isn't as consistent as the Beach Boys.  If there were a nitpick, that would likely be it.  That said, I think completing SMiLE and then taking into account the totality of the work over a long period of time, it only makes sense that the mastermind behind the Beach Boys also be enshrined and honored.
How many albums of original, new songs has Brian released since 1988? BW88, Imagination, GIOMH, TLOS, NPP. Not exactly prolific. No great commercial success there, either, and the HOF does take that into consideration. By far his most commercially successful solo album was BWPS, and that was made up of material written decades before. He tours mostly performing material written between 1962-72. He is already recognized for those songs as a member of the Beach Boys.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 12:21:57 AM »

Then recognise him as the guy who shaped what music is today. Only a handful of people have had the same impact.

“We live in divisive times.”
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 04:20:13 AM »

That would be great,  maybe keep Mike's speech to a minimum if he was there!
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 06:45:18 AM »

Brian seems marginal to me as a potential inductee, but then again Ringo was inducted as a solo act, so God knows what the standards are.
KDS
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 07:03:14 AM »

Unfortunately, Brian's solo material hasn't had anything even close to the impact that the music he made with The Beach Boys did. 

In this community, we tend to rate it pretty highly.  But if you look at reviews from outside of this box of Brian's solo material, you'll see the words, "inconsistent," "repetitive," "bland," etc. 

I think the only way he gets a second induction would be if they singled him out as a producer. 

I also put very little stock in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. 

Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 08:11:58 AM »

Then recognise him as the guy who shaped what music is today. Only a handful of people have had the same impact.

I agree that Brian being inducted based upon his solo career is a stretch, but being singled out for his tremendous influence on popular music in general as John says is not. His stature as a musical icon has only grown over the past 27 years and I just thought it would be really cool if his "27 years from now" comment from 1988 was somehow referenced in some sort of recognition in 2015. Because as he once said, he's still here and he's still rockin'!
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 09:12:14 AM »

If Ringo Starr can be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist, then Brian certainly deserves the honor.  Brian has a Grammy to his name (Best Rock Instrumental, Mrs. O'Leary's Cow, 2005) as well as many other solo awards, honors, tribute concerts, etc. over the last 15 years. 
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 10:11:29 AM »

Here we go again. I'm still opposed to solo members of any act that's already been inducted in the R'n'RHoF being inducted until AFTER the huge backlog of the still so far snubbed acts have been inducted. Yes, that includes Paul McCartney, John Lennon, and Eric Clapton, among others.

Your mileage may vary.

To the R'n'RHoF -- please induct Chicago and Jethro Tull!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 10:21:38 AM »

I think it's pretty rock and roll to not be in the HOF actually.  Like, The Replacements aren't in the HOF but Green Day is, go figure.  Another example, Smashing Pumpkins will likely get in, perhaps next year and Pavement will never sniff the HOF.  It's kind of a badge of honor to not be inducted into such mediocrity.  Personal opinion.

That said, it would still be cool of Brian were inducted..  there have been several artists (approx 20) that were inducted as a member of a group and solo.  This list below doesn't include this past year with Lou Reed.

http://www.fuse.tv/2014/04/rock-hall-of-fame-multiple-inductees-artists#1

KDS
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 10:35:09 AM »

If Ringo Starr can be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist, then Brian certainly deserves the honor.  Brian has a Grammy to his name (Best Rock Instrumental, Mrs. O'Leary's Cow, 2005) as well as many other solo awards, honors, tribute concerts, etc. over the last 15 years. 

I really think Ringo got in for two reasons

1.  John, Paul, and George were already inducted as solo artists, so they probably just wanted to have all four former Beatles as solo artists. 

2.  Ringo actually had some legit hits in the 1970s, and at one time, was outselling the other three. 

Brian doesn't have any hits to his name, and his best selling album was a re-worked Beach Boys effort.   I'm not trying to put Brian Wilson's solo output down, but I think we have to remember that, outside of our BW world, his solo career hasn't made much of a dent. 
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 11:33:16 AM »

1.  John, Paul, and George were already inducted as solo artists, so they probably just wanted to have all four former Beatles as solo artists. 

2.  Ringo actually had some legit hits in the 1970s, and at one time, was outselling the other three. 

Brian doesn't have any hits to his name, and his best selling album was a re-worked Beach Boys effort.   I'm not trying to put Brian Wilson's solo output down, but I think we have to remember that, outside of our BW world, his solo career hasn't made much of a dent. 

I think #1 had the most to do with that decision.  Ringo has some hits under his belt but no major awards/Grammies as a solo artist.  Brian has no hits as a solo artist but he has a Grammy, MusiCares Person of the Year, Ivor Novello Award, etc.

Brian could also get in as a Producer/Arranger, in the vein of someone like George Martin.
KDS
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 11:46:41 AM »

There are a ton of Grammy, and other award, winners that aren't in the Hall.  I also think the fact that the Grammy was for a re-recorded instrumental that was originally meant for The Beach Boys would hurt that argument. 

Brian would be very deserving of induction as a producer. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 12:01:21 PM »

Ringo Starr was not inducted into The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame as a Performer - as was John, Paul, and George. Ringo was inducted with "The Award For Musical Excellence", obviously for his drumming. So, while Brian Wilson would not qualify for the Hall as a Performer, I guess he could be considered in the Non-Performer category as a producer of The Beach Boys.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 12:20:42 PM »

The only real shot at the top 40 Brian had was with his solo debut. He's basically a cult artist. As far as his solo recordings go, they get released amid a lot of hype, but are pretty quickly forgotten by the general public. It's not like he's done a lot to keep those songs in the public consciousness, either - I mean, aside from Love and Mercy, when was the last time he played anything from BW88 live?
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 05:00:12 PM »

from Rolling Stone's recent cover story on Ringo:

It started with a dinner between McCartney and Robbie Robertson, when The Band's guitarist noted Ringo wasn't in the Hall of Fame on his own. With Beatles manager Brian Epstein being inducted into the nonperformer wing, McCartney thought Ringo's absence was an egregious oversight. "I said, 'Let me see what I can do,' " says McCartney. "And I talked to Bruce Springsteen and I talked to Dave Grohl, and they both thought he should be in. And I said I'd do the induction. That took care of it."

so it appears with the right folks in his corner, Brian could easily be inducted on his own. whether as a solo artist, producer, or for "musical excellence" Brian certainly deserves the honor as much as Phil Spector, George Martin, or any number of inductees.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:02:50 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 11:42:19 PM »

Ringo's solo hits:
It Don't Come Easy
Back Off Boogaloo
Photograph
You're Sixteen
Oh My My
Only You
No No Song
It's All Down to Goodnight Vienna
A Dose of Rock and Roll
Wrack My Brain

Brian's solo hits:
Caroline, No
KDS
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 05:50:42 AM »

from Rolling Stone's recent cover story on Ringo:

It started with a dinner between McCartney and Robbie Robertson, when The Band's guitarist noted Ringo wasn't in the Hall of Fame on his own. With Beatles manager Brian Epstein being inducted into the nonperformer wing, McCartney thought Ringo's absence was an egregious oversight. "I said, 'Let me see what I can do,' " says McCartney. "And I talked to Bruce Springsteen and I talked to Dave Grohl, and they both thought he should be in. And I said I'd do the induction. That took care of it."

so it appears with the right folks in his corner, Brian could easily be inducted on his own. whether as a solo artist, producer, or for "musical excellence" Brian certainly deserves the honor as much as Phil Spector, George Martin, or any number of inductees.

So apparently, we need to contact Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, and.....and.........Dave Grohl?Huh?  OK, didn't realize he was rock royalty now, but I can probably count the number of bands that come out after 1991 that I'm really into with both hands (and I'm only 34). 

Anyway, we need to send an extensive list to Paul, Bruce, and....I guess...Dave.  Far too many artists not in the Hall that deserve it. 
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 07:12:19 AM »

Mike Love's infamous acceptance speech has been much discussed (and rightly so), but I noticed something interesting after watching Brian's acceptance speech once again. During his very gracious and uplifting speech, and mentioning that it had been 27 years since he had written Surfin', Brian says, "We want to do the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame proud, and 27 years from now I'd like to come back and get re-inducted all over again." To which Carl enthusiastically yells, "Yeah!" and the crowd erupts into applause.

So 27 years from that date is 2015. How cool would it be if Brian were to be recognized once again in 2015 by the RnR HOF for his accomplishments over the ensuing 27 years since that 1988 induction? Considering everything else currently happening in his career it would seem rather fitting.

EDIT: Well, seeing now that the 2015 ceremony has already taken place this year, all I can say is bummer.  Sad

Brian's output in the last 27 years hasn't been anywhere near as remarkable as the content he produced in the first 27 years (and he spent half of those years in bed).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 01:01:40 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 07:14:21 AM »

Mike took a lot of heat for his acceptance speech (rightly so), but does anyone else feel as I do, that his far more egregious behaviour occurred during Brian's speech. Brian has a prepared speech, and Mike is hovering an inch away from him, muttering, and in my opinion, just generally trying to throw him off.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 02:27:04 PM »

Pretty much my sentiments exactly.  It almost felt like an intimidation move by Mike.  Type-A vs. Type-B.  It's very uncomfortable to watch him..especially as he is stroking his back.  It just looks awkward. 

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 06:06:44 PM »

So has anyone ever figured out exactly what was up with Mike that night? Too many glasses of champagne?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 06:20:20 PM »

So has anyone ever figured out exactly what was up with Mike that night? Too many glasses of champagne?

Mike admitted to having a few too many drinks that night.

Brian should get in as a producer, or as a producer in the "musical excellence" category. His profile has risen considerably since the Beach Boys were inducted. I think even the casual fan (or at least every Indie fanboy out there) thinks of Brian as more of a musical wunderkind than just as the leader of The Beach Boys.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 07:10:39 PM »

Mike admitted to having a few too many drinks that night.

Brian should get in as a producer, or as a producer in the "musical excellence" category. His profile has risen considerably since the Beach Boys were inducted. I think even the casual fan (or at least every Indie fanboy out there) thinks of Brian as more of a musical wunderkind than just as the leader of The Beach Boys.

Compared to others who have been inducted as producers, how much has Brian produced outside of the Beach Boys that's of note? Not that it's bad music, just that it never achieved much fame to the point where he merits accomplishment outside of what he's already earned for his contributions to The Beach Boys.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx