gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:14:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Proposed 2016 UK Tour  (Read 13197 times)
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2015, 04:23:47 PM »

As a good will gesture for the cancelled gigs this year here's my wish list:

1. Al, Blondie and Matt still in the band

2. The NPP songs to remain and Be Here In The Morning etc

3. First set - Brian Wilson best of selection, e.g., Melt Away, There's So Many, Rio Grande, Rainbow Eyes, Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight, Morning Beat, Midnight's Another Day etc, 'Til I Die etc.

3. Second set - Pet Sounds album then a few greatest hits for the encore

Bonus

4.  Meet and greet with the fans who purchased original tickets Grin

Anyone else have any thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 04:24:53 PM by mikeddonn » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 12:19:16 AM »

That'd be nice - all of it - but at the same time there might well had been a new album by the time Brian returns to the UK… I'd love to hear Rio Grande live tho'. Has to be top of my list for a Brian gig now.

Reading the thread about the current tour though I suspect we'll be lucky if Brian tours the UK; suspect it might be restricted to a few consecutive nights in London.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 01:29:31 AM »

Current sum total of our info about this tour:

1 - it will take place between 1/1/16 and 12/31/16...

2 - it will "celebrate" the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds...

3 - it will be Brian's final European tour...

Everything else, pure speculation/wishful thinking.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 02:26:33 AM »

I'm pretty gutted Brian has cancelled, I was looking forward to seeing him live.

Al and Brian next year would be cool
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 03:20:03 AM »

I'm pretty gutted too. I was especially looking forward to seeing Brian with Al, Blondie and Matt there too, so I hope they'll be part of whatever happens next year.

But seriously - it's Brian's last ever European tour, the 50th Anniversary of Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations, so stop messing around and just make it a Beach Boys tour. Leaving aside what we know of the personal differences, the frictions and differences of opinion, take this last ever chance and do it right. The last one proved to be the biggest success they'd had in decades and the reasons for not doing it get less compelling with each and every day.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 03:20:23 AM »

None of us can be sure of anything but the actual Pet Sounds anniversary falls on May 16th so perhaps if the tour goes ahead it will start in spring.

It would be great if Al and Blondie were still part of it. I hope that we will get to hear some of the songs that we would have heard had Brian toured in September, some from the new album and also  Surf's Up, This Whole World and more.

I hope that Brian's management arrange dates asap so that they can get the best venues possible. My main concern of course is that Brian is in good health and that he gets the best ever reception from his fans.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 03:26:03 AM »

I'm pretty gutted too. I was especially looking forward to seeing Brian with Al, Blondie and Matt there too, so I hope they'll be part of whatever happens next year.

But seriously - it's Brian's last ever European tour, the 50th Anniversary of Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations, so stop messing around and just make it a Beach Boys tour. Leaving aside what we know of the personal differences, the frictions and differences of opinion, take this last ever chance and do it right. The last one proved to be the biggest success they'd had in decades and the reasons for not doing it get less compelling with each and every day.

If they have Al and Blondie, they have Beach Boys enough IMO.  The C50  was successful but they managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with the way it ended. It should have been triumphant but finished on a sour note. I would hate that to happen on Brian's last ever UK tour.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 03:28:53 AM »

it's Brian's last ever European tour, the 50th Anniversary of Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations, so stop messing around and just make it a Beach Boys tour.

I would love that to happen, more than you could imagine. Alas, the indications of the last few years argue strongly against any such thing happening.

However...

These are The Beach Boys:anything is possible.

Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 04:19:13 AM »

I hope it's a not a sell out and he is definitely coming to Glasgow next year.  First and only chance I will have to see Brian
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 04:38:53 AM »

it's Brian's last ever European tour, the 50th Anniversary of Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations, so stop messing around and just make it a Beach Boys tour.
I would love that to happen, more than you could imagine. Alas, the indications of the last few years argue strongly against any such thing happening.

However...

In the happy event that happens, a few setlist entries...

Girl Don't Tell Me

Sail Away, with that Sloop groove and Lahaina Aloha yearning...

The Right Time

And, Love and Mercy...

Yes, Andrew, they ARE The Beach Boys and anything can happen!  Love Brian, Dennis, & Carl
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 04:54:30 AM »

However...

There's no disputing that of course. But then I'd never have pictured the C50 tour happening, let alone a new studio album that was actually good!

I won't be getting my hopes up but if the right person in the right place and time was able to start making the right noises with Mike and Brian, you just never know. Joe Thomas did the impossible for 2012 and it seems beyond unlikely that he'd have enough favour left to do it again.  But money talks and if C50 showed one thing it's that a full Beach Boys tour with Brian and Mike has huge potential in financial terms. We know that there were significant potential offers for more shows back in 2012 and maybe there are people who could start getting those sorts of offers back on the table, even if pulling all parties together again seems like a task beyond mere mortals. But if the money was right............
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 04:59:00 AM »

Regarding his health, as noted in the other thread, I recall he was helped on and off stage in 2011 during the Gershwin tour too, though perhaps that was for some specific localised reason (his back, maybe).

I'll be happy with whatever he plays next year.  I think he ought to shake up the encore a touch, though.  Surprise us.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 06:40:23 AM »

However...

Girl Don't Tell Me

The Right Time

And, Love and Mercy...

Yes, Andrew, they ARE The Beach Boys and anything can happen!  Love Brian, Dennis, & Carl

Three out of four of those songs aren't Beach Boys songs of course.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 07:20:46 AM »

However...

Girl Don't Tell Me

The Right Time

And, Love and Mercy...

Lots of BB concert and album songs aren't BB songs. Why Do Fools Fall in Love, Sloop John B, even circa 1971, Your Song (Elton John) has been covered and this is new, exciting material, which might easily lend itself to the concert format...

And Brian is a Beach Boy. Always and forever.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 07:51:45 AM »

It would be safe to assume that this post is directed to noneother than the wonderful Mr. Positivity himself.  Transcendental Meditation

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 08:08:30 AM »

However...

Girl Don't Tell Me

The Right Time

And, Love and Mercy...

Yes, Andrew, they ARE The Beach Boys and anything can happen!  Love Brian, Dennis, & Carl

Lots of BB concert and album songs aren't BB songs. Why Do Fools Fall in Love, Sloop John B, even circa 1971, Your Song (Elton John) has been covered and this is new, exciting material, which might easily lend itself to the concert format...

Fools... and Sloop... were covered by The Beach Boys, so not quite the same as adding Brian solo material. Carl added his solo input to Beach Boys shows, so not unprecedented.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 08:28:23 AM »

However...

Girl Don't Tell Me

The Right Time

And, Love and Mercy...

Yes, Andrew, they ARE The Beach Boys and anything can happen!  Love Brian, Dennis, & Carl

Fools... and Sloop... were covered by The Beach Boys, so not quite the same as adding Brian solo material. Carl added his solo input to Beach Boys shows, so not unprecedented.
And Dennis!  Wink
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 09:25:20 AM »

It would be safe to assume that this post is directed to noneother than the wonderful Mr. Positivity himself.  Transcendental Meditation
more like Mr. f*ckwit. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 09:27:04 AM »

more like Mr. f*ckwit. Wink

Dr. Shitweasel -  the man, the myth, the legend.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 11:36:42 AM »

However...

But money talks and if C50 showed one thing it's that a full Beach Boys tour with Brian and Mike has huge potential in financial terms. We know that there were significant potential offers for more shows back in 2012 and maybe there are people who could start getting those sorts of offers back on the table, even if pulling all parties together again seems like a task beyond mere mortals. But if the money was right............

Reminds me of a lyric: "While money doesn’t talk, it swears
Obscenity..."

If this is Brian's last European tour and not the Beach Boys', then I think the spotlight should be on Brian... and not the Beach Boys. He was a Beach Boy once and will always represent that to some but he is also Brian Wilson. That is worth celebrating in its own right.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:38:09 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 12:22:47 PM »

As a good will gesture for the cancelled gigs this year here's my wish list:

1. Al, Blondie and Matt still in the band

2. The NPP songs to remain and Be Here In The Morning etc

3. First set - Brian Wilson best of selection, e.g., Melt Away, There's So Many, Rio Grande, Rainbow Eyes, Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight, Morning Beat, Midnight's Another Day etc, 'Til I Die etc.

3. Second set - Pet Sounds album then a few greatest hits for the encore

Bonus

4.  Meet and greet with the fans who purchased original tickets Grin

Anyone else have any thoughts?

and then you woke up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 12:42:53 PM »

However...

But money talks and if C50 showed one thing it's that a full Beach Boys tour with Brian and Mike has huge potential in financial terms. We know that there were significant potential offers for more shows back in 2012 and maybe there are people who could start getting those sorts of offers back on the table, even if pulling all parties together again seems like a task beyond mere mortals. But if the money was right............

Obscenity..."

If this is Brian's last European tour and not the Beach Boys', then I think the spotlight should be on Brian... and not the Beach Boys. He was a Beach Boy once and will always represent that to some but he is also Brian Wilson. That is worth celebrating in its own right.

They could make it a contest. Sell tickets for a BW tour and a BBs' tour simultaneously - same dates, same venues. Whoever sells the most wins. If Brian wins he gets to tour solo; if the BBs win, Al and Brian and Blondie and Ricky and Dave have to join them for one last spin.

That's what it seems to be working its way around to boiling down to.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 01:38:04 PM »

So, basically it's a win/win situation for Brian (and possibly Alan & Blondie) in your "contest" ? Yup, that seems entirely fair...  Grin

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 01:57:39 PM »

However...

Obscenity..."

They could make it a contest. Sell tickets for a BW tour and a BBs' tour simultaneously - same dates, same venues. Whoever sells the most wins. If Brian wins he gets to tour solo; if the BBs win, Al and Brian and Blondie and Ricky and Dave have to join them for one last spin.

That's what it seems to be working its way around to boiling down to.

So, basically it's a win/win situation for Brian (and possibly Alan & Blondie) in your "contest" ? Yup, that seems entirely fair...  Grin

If it's just down to popularity, perhaps One Direction should join Brian on tour. So third option, Brian and One Direction - most popular wins? Hmm. Thought not.  It's Brian's choice of course. But if I were he, and I wanted to acknowledge the BBs on my final European tour, perhaps I'd invite them to guest on a few encores - Surfin' USA, Barbara Ann, Fun Fun Fun. Then back to Brian's band for Love and Mercy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 02:09:52 AM »

Here's my master plan - let both groups schedule their tours when and where they want, and we decided if we want to go see Brian, Mike, both or neither. It's worked for me since 1998.  Smiley

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx