gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:30:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Musicians on Surf's Up, Princeton, 11/13/71?  (Read 1249 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2015, 08:41:50 AM »

Available on a famous video streaming site. There's a brass section there and I think I hear Carl namecheck Brian at the end (is the piano Brian, Bruce?). Carl's vocal sends goosebumps; maybe that era was his peak as a live vocalist.
SBonilla
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 08:56:57 AM »

Available on a famous video streaming site. There's a brass section there and I think I hear Carl namecheck Brian at the end (is the piano Brian, Bruce?). Carl's vocal sends goosebumps; maybe that era was his peak as a live vocalist.
I think it would be Daryl Dragon.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 09:24:56 AM »

Ok, given that it's '71, I am assuming Dragon is playing piano. Carl is probably playing an electric piano too. In the early 70's, Bruce played either bass guitar or organ. Given the complexity of Surf's Up, I'm assuming Bruce wasn't playing bass, although he is a very knowledgeable musician, and could've probably played bass.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 12:51:24 PM »

On the Youtube clip, Carl credits Brian and VDP as the writers at the end. The drums at the finish are rather overblown and threaten to spoil it.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 09:35:37 AM »

On the Central Park performance of H&V the same year, there are five guys in the horn section
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx