gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:02:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer Days (and Summer Nights!) Discussion on WFDU  (Read 2344 times)
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2015, 09:47:12 AM »

ESQ's David Beard joins me again to review/discuss another Beach Boys album..this time celebrating the 50th anniversary of "Summer Days (and Summer Nights!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UZlEzckuEg
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 10:21:43 AM »

Brian's swansong to the California lifestyle. If Sherry She Needs Me had been completed and Guess I'm Dumb tackled for the album in place of the rubbish You're So Good to Me and the goofy throwaway I'm Bugged at My Ole' Man this would have equaled the Today! album.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 11:53:54 AM »

Brian's swansong to the California lifestyle. If Sherry She Needs Me had been completed and Guess I'm Dumb tackled for the album in place of the rubbish You're So Good to Me and the goofy throwaway I'm Bugged at My Ole' Man this would have equaled the Today! album.

Agreed, except keep in YSGTM but take out Amusement (Van Dyke) Parks USA, and then it's a cooker.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 01:41:05 PM »

YSGTM is a winner; don't toss it! And Bugged is plain fun. No need to toss any songs, it was a short album anyway.
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 02:55:23 PM »

Thanks for posting the link Ghosty.  Great interview David.   
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 03:13:28 PM »

YSGTM is a winner; don't toss it! And Bugged is plain fun. No need to toss any songs, it was a short album anyway.

I agree 100%, although I do skip "Amusement Parks USA." I'm not a fan of "Guess I'm Dumb," so I'd skip it as well if it were on the album.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 03:14:50 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 02:13:55 PM »

Thanks for posting the link Ghosty.  Great interview David.   

You're welcome, Jim!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 02:46:37 PM »

She's Not The Little Girl I Once Knew would also have been a good addition to the album (especially a stereo version).
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 06:03:15 PM »

You're So Good to Me rubbish?
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 06:04:22 PM »

She's Not The Little Girl I Once Knew would also have been a good addition to the album (especially a stereo version).

Except it would not be recorded for another 3 months.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 07:13:34 PM »

It's a beautifully captured celebration of the fun and sometimes heartache of youth. Nothing too serious. As such, I never get tired of hearing it. Sure, the songs  overall aren't quite up to 'Today'  standards but it's actually the perfect prelude to the adult themes of Pet Sounds. Despite the album title that promotes the popular storyline that SDSN was a regression, for me, there is no filler on this album. Thematically, I think it's more together than 'Today' and each song contributes to the theme of youth.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 11:43:02 PM »

You're So Good to Me rubbish?

Personally I can't stand it. Very basic riff and terrible lyrics.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx