gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:58:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question For Mark Or Alan Regarding New GV Single  (Read 5182 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2006, 10:19:23 PM »

Picked up the CD today. The sound quality is breathtaking. Beautiful mastering job Mark!

Back around the time of the Endless Harmony CD, I asked Alan, Brad and Andrew Sandoval if they had located the "Rarities" version of GV (which Brad had gotten off his own set of reel to reels used to broadcast the Best Summers Of Our Lives bio in 1976). They all said that the version used for the special had not been located after repeated attempts.

So my question is....did you guys find this version, or piece one together, or just used the digital "Rarities" master in that till lives in the vault at Cap for the version used on the new GV CD. It sounds SO clear.

Thanks for the taking the time to respond!

Bob Flory
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 11:11:31 PM »

We auditioned several difft. copies of the Rarities album and used the best sounding one which I  remastered.

Everything on the Cd was remastered for the release btw including the original single mix.

Mark
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 11:24:43 PM »

Thanks for the quick response. Again, the sound quality just blew me away (and that was just in my car).

I had a cassette I copied from the original broadcast reels used for the Best Summers Of Our Lives (which btw still plays well, considering it is on a MAXELL 90 min from 1978!!!). The version on there was the only one I played even after purchasing the Rarites LP, cassette and the 1991 CD. The 1997 Rarities re-issue from Japan which blew me away with it's clarity. Until now, that is.

The clarity of your remaster (after decades of mud - even a little on the 1997 CD from Japan) just made me wonder if the original had been found.  It's kind of funny to think back that the Rarities LP was mastered digitally on VHS tape using an outboard digital converter. We all thought that was cutting edge. And it was! It just seems so archaic now.

Great job Mark!  Thanks from all of us for your work in getting it right!!!!!

Bob Flory
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 11:29:49 PM by petsite » Logged
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 09:58:35 AM »

Mark,

Being the pain in the butt that I always am, I was re-reading your reply and wondered two things.

1.) You said We auditioned several difft. copies of the Rarities album...

I know that Bob Norberg sequenced and assembled the album directly onto VHS tape, using an outboard digital converter. Then that VHS tape went down the hall to Wally Traugott, who mastered it to vinyl and cassette masters. Were there other "masters" around?

2.) and used the best sounding one which I  remastered

Which one did you use?

Thanks again!

Bob Flory
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 10:03:01 AM by petsite » Logged
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 08:53:42 PM »

No F-1 VHS digital tape was found . We used an analog tape that was labelled "master". BTW regardless this cut sounds like a dub of an acetate.

Mark
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 09:08:04 PM »

I did an interview with Brad regarding the Rarities LP for my old PetSite site. I asked how they got the version of GV for the Rarities LP.

PetSite: How did you get the go ahead to include the alternate version of Good Vibrations, especially since Capitol didn't have a copy in their possession and one had to obtained from the Best Summers Of Our Lives radio special?

Brad : In preliminary talks with Bobby Colomby (the ex-Blood Sweat & Tears drummer, then working as Capitol's Vice President of A&R Special Projects), I had mentioned the alternate Good Vibrations as an example of the kind of Capitol-era material that we might be able to find. He asked where it had aired and, in the course of answering him, I had mentioned that I had a set of the half-track reels on which the show had been distributed to radio stations.He told me to bring the tape with the alternate Good Vibrations out to L.A. with me, that there was a possibility we could actually use the tape as a source if we couldn't find a master tape for that version. My understanding is that Bobby checked with Capitol's legal staff and was told that Capitol had the right to release that version of the song -- regardless of the source -- because they had paid for the sessions back in 1966.

When I asked about the track in 1999 or 2000 and they said it couldn't be found, someone (I forget who) tried to find if the company Audio Stimulation where the show was put together was still in business to see if they had that tape or acetate in their possesion. The company was long gone. As was the acetate or tape of GV.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 09:11:45 PM by petsite » Logged
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 02:05:45 AM »

I also have a question for Mark Linett or Alan Boyd.

The stereo instrumental track on the new CD single:
Was this mixed from the exact same final 8-track tape that Brian used for making the mono mixdown of the backing track? Or was it edited and assembled together from different reels?
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 09:26:25 AM »

Was this mixed from the exact same final 8-track tape that Brian used for making the mono mixdown of the backing track? Or was it edited and assembled together from different reels?

The 8 track for GV has been missing for a very long time (some think since at least 1967). The stereo track was assembled from the various original three and four track sessions and a copy of the final assembled 4 track (the original is also missing) The final 4 track provided the cellos and theramin in the chorus.

It was a lot of work but at last we have the track in true stereo.

Mark
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 09:51:10 AM »

The 8 track for GV has been missing for a very long time (some think since at least 1967). The stereo track was assembled from the various original three and four track sessions and a copy of the final assembled 4 track (the original is also missing) The final 4 track provided the cellos and theramin in the chorus.

Mark

Thanks for the detailed answer!
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 02:34:19 PM »

Mark

Some disagree:

Andrew G. Doe    <bellagio@btinternet.com> to PSML  Jun 18

"It would have been a perfect opportunity to include for the first
time the true stereo mix on the GOOD VIBRATIONS single - it's all
over the net, in regular 7" edit and the longer BB's SMiLE version. A
missed opportunity, Capitol!"

Just goes to show, doesn't matter how many times you say something, there's always someone who doesn't listen. Sigh...

1 - there can NEVER be a true stereo mix of "GV" because the vocal multitracks are missing, presumed lost, and have been since the 45 was mixed in 1966.

2 - the so-called 'stereo' versions "all over the net" are nothing more than the regular mono version synched up to the stereo track as released on the 1993 box, or possibly an edit of some stereo sessions. Not a mix, more a mashup.

I'm very much looking forward to hearing this stereo GV, especially after reading this thread.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 03:21:42 PM »

Nope, not disagreeing at all - note Mark said they had the track, that is, the instrumental backing track, in true stereo. His comments bear this out Not the song - the track.

Unless I'm misunderstanding him completely, in which case I apologise unreservedly. But the track descriptions and the reactions of those who have heard it would indicate otherwise. I'd just LOVE to hear the whole thing in stereo. Hopefully I'll have a copy in a week or so, and then I may have to apologise... and damn, I hope I do.  Cool

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 03:23:58 PM »

Mark

As I thought. Stereo instrumental track. Rats.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 12:36:42 PM »

Everything on the Cd was remastered for the release btw including the original single mix.

But the CD says three tracks were remastered in 2001.  How does that work?
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 12:37:49 PM »

Indeed-- I believe I read a negative review of the single on Amazon from someone who was disappointed the stereo version was an instrumental, and not a full version with vocals.  Which makes me wonder why a stereo vocal version wasn't also mixed?

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 02:15:27 PM »

But the CD says three tracks were remastered in 2001.  How does that work?

the credit is wrong which is nothing new
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 02:23:03 PM »

Indeed-- I believe I read a negative review of the single on Amazon from someone who was disappointed the stereo version was an instrumental, and not a full version with vocals.  Which makes me wonder why a stereo vocal version wasn't also mixed?

Hmm I thought this had already been explained. We do not have the multi-track tape with the seperate vocals on it, so a true stereo mix of the record is (sadly)not possible.

A pseudo version using the new stereo track and mono vocals derived from a phase cancelled track vs the single could be done but this would be crude and of course would still only give you the vocals in mono.

It seems more appropriate to leave the finished record in mono the way it was created. Perhaps we will do a colllector's box at some point and include everything.......
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 02:29:23 PM »

Perhaps we will do a colllector's box at some point and include everything.......

:D

When?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2006, 02:37:53 PM »

Oh, and while they're doing a Good Vibrations Collector's Box, maybe they could release a remasterd mono/stereo Wild Honey?

I mean, how much extra dough would that be? And maybe eventually a Sunflower Boxset? Please.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2006, 03:43:09 PM »

Oh, and while they're doing a Good Vibrations Collector's Box, maybe they could release a remasterd mono/stereo Wild Honey?

I mean, how much extra dough would that be? And maybe eventually a Sunflower Boxset? Please.

These are all nice ideas although some of Wild Honey can't be redone in stereo since some overdubs were added during mixes. As for "when" it'll be whenever EMI decides to do it .E-mail EMI w/ your project requests. It couldn't hurt.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2006, 08:53:14 PM »

No F-1 VHS digital tape was found . We used an analog tape that was labelled "master". BTW regardless this cut sounds like a dub of an acetate.

Mark

I've always thought that it sounded like an acetate as well. There are prevalent clicks and alot of compression (even on the master for the radio bio). I guess that was the medium  Audio Stimulation received the track on. All of the released tracks were pulled from vinyl for that special, even The Honeys "The One You Can't Have" and Dennis' "Sound Of Free" (both of which  sounded like crap as the copies used were pretty beat up. Pop and click city).

Funny that the F-1 was gone.  We have heard this all before.................

Bob
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx