gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:55:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Decline in sales of discrete stereo components  (Read 8331 times)
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2006, 06:33:00 AM »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060104.wxhifi04/EmailBNStory/Entertainment/

Watch out for snakes!
GP1138
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 06:43:31 AM »

I still love my component system. I get all the best stuff from the thrift store, for a fraction of what it was new, and it all works perfectly fine, and sounds great.

FWIW: My iPod sounds excellent through it, too.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 06:46:37 AM »

Very sad article. My "favourite" part:

"For most of us, however, dedicated listening has become something of a rarefied pursuit. We hear music all the time -- in offices, in shops, in elevators, while driving, while dining, while socializing -- and its omnipresence has, ironically, cemented its place as background. Being awash in music most of the day has led to a sort of soundtrack effect, in which we want to hear music constantly but seldom stop and listen."

Cry It´s so fucking true. I really try to do the opposite: I seldomly listen to radio in the car or at work in the office. But I enjoy to sit down in the evening, dim the lights, put the headphones on and JUST LISTEN. Because imo, music should be something special.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 06:56:33 AM »

I just remembered a Simpsons-episode that kind of fits to this thread.

For some reasons they built a concert-hall in Springfield and at the premiere-night they played Beethoven´s 5th Symphony. After the famous beginning, a few seconds into the piece, everyone stood up and walked out. Marge asked Lenny why they do it and he answered "Well, the rest is only a filler and besides of that, it sounds much better as a ringtone on my mobile-phone."

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 07:40:02 AM »

Two nights ago I did something rare. I went to my room and played the new Queen A Night At The Opera remaster through headphones in the dark with no other distractions. Sadly it was only through a boombox (which was all I have right now), but the fact that it was, as you say, a dedicated listen, well, it's been a while. Actually, I did get a chance to play my component stereo at Christmas, so I listened to a few records I hadn't played in a while. When I was younger, my favourite thing to do was play NES or SNES and listen to my stereo. I had hooked up two amps and had 8 speakers in the room. They were all broken but it was fun.

Watch out for snakes!
Domo Arigato
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 07:53:20 AM »

Well, just call me 'Old Fashioned", then.....

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 08:04:04 AM »

I remember a time when having a smoke and sitting back, eyes closed,  and listening to music on my headphones was the ultimate music experience.  I also remember sitting around with friends, having a smoke, and listening, quietly,  as a group to some of our favorite albums.

As for components, I am using one amplifier for dvd and vhs surround, cds, lps, and tapes.  Don't people still need an amp of SOME KIND to power their sound systems, whether its for movies, music or whatever?

And don't people need speakers for surround, music or whatever?

I would think there is some change in listen habits that would account for sales decreases in traditional component stereo systems, but this must be compensated for with increased sales of dvd, mini stereo systems, surround systems, and ipod/mp3 devices.

And by the way, last time I looked, Circuit City still had 3 different models of turntables on the shelf.

The sky is not falling.
forgetemarie
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 02:46:29 PM »

I think there's a decline in audiophiles.  There has been other technology for young people (mostly young males) to get obsessed with.  Besides, with music having gone digital, there's only so many variations on it.  Not like when it was on vinyl and there were variations of turntable and cartridge performance (the stereo geeks could spend hundreds of dollars on cartridges).  And there's the whole stereo vs. 5-1 (up to 7-1) performance.  Some audiophiles claim you need a seperate system for stereo and theater, and that music is not really suited to the theater type systems.  Others swear by 5-1.  Who knows who's right?  I've never been an audiophile, but I am a Luddite, so I stick with a cheapo old component system, stereo only.  I paid $100 for the receiver, so it can't be good.

Many are also in love with I-Pod, which is the antithesis of the audiophile experience, between the MP3 format and the little earbuds most listen to it with. 

Besides, isn't everyone going deaf, between listening with earbuds at loud volumes and those giant car ghetto blaster systems?  You can't be an audiophile if you can't hear.
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 12:55:35 PM »

I have a cd walkman that can play mp3 data discs. That satisfies me for now. I may get on the mp3 player bandwagon one day just so I don't have to take so many cds around but I'm waiting for the players to be a better deal. Unlike alot of people I know my age (early 20s) I sware by old stereo gear. I've got an old 70's quad system for 6 dollars at a thrift store in my room.

I love taking time to really get into music and listen to albums in full. Sometimes I'm into mixes but I prefer making my own music playlists and mix cds, I don't understand why so many people are hung up on shuffle and random.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 02:00:56 PM »

I've never been an audiophile, but I am a Luddite

Haha!  Me too.  I get mistaken for an audiophile all the time, though.
Carl LaFong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 12:55:59 PM »

Superbly interesting thread this, esp. because cultural pessimism is a very tempting pastime, I fell for its charms many times and am 46 now.
Let me make my very first post on this board with noting some observations:
1. I see youngsters passing me on the street with all kinds of personal audio devices, and I never get the idea that they listen with concentration, or play whole albums. It seems indeed to be a kind of soundtrack to their mundane everyday moving from one spot to another. I never could felt attracted to doing likewise in listening, be it walking and shopping, or even while doing a lengthy run in the woods. I love natural sounds, people talking, birds singing, but also normal traffic noise. I have a hard time imagining the above folks arriving home and putting a CD or an LP on and intensely focusing on the Goldberg Variations as played by Glenn Gould.
2. The seeming carelessness with which all kinds of horribly compressed formats get accepted is annoying. But then, CD itself is compressed, be it in the A/D conversion itself, or in the absolute cut-off points at either end of the frequency spectrum. I guess it has something to do with the ever shorter lifespan of different formats, and technologies. It seems still such a short time ago that DVD-players were touted as the be-and-end-all and were expensive, and now they metaphorically can be found on the cities' garbage piles. People have built modest DVD-collections, and already the arrival of the new and incompatible Blu-Ray disk is announced. One can shrug one's shoulders and move on, and perhaps this is the best attitude.
3. Adding to point 2, I must say that I find the relative failures of DVD-A and SACD rather encouraging. These formats certainly haven't brought their manufacturers the success they had hoped for. So, perhaps customers indeed went into some sort of strike because they did not want to plunder their bank accounts and wallets yet another time to buy their beloved music all over again.
4. The unwillingness of the vinyl format to die is also a happy occurrence for this listener. I regularly search the web for a decent 2nd hand deck (have to acquire a new one) and am amazed at the prospering of the trade in vintage Thorens and Dual, as well as even pricier high end brands. It is a true goldmine for the passionate amateur and do-it-yourself-pundit. Also: manufacturers of new decks, like Pro-Ject, Goldring, Rega, and the revived Thorens Co. do well all over the globe.
5. And the most promising prospect: highly serious observers, like for instance the Gramophone Magazine for classical music (UK) have spotted a truly refreshed interest of the major component makers in good, solid, frills-free two-channel stereo. Marantz, NAD, Sony, and many others have stepped down from the surround frenzy (which, I must admit, to me always has been something artificial and hollow-sounding, like perhaps quadraphony of the 70s, a nice gimmick to impress family and friends, and not much more); and these companies have invested much money in new ranges of very basic and stable discrete stereo components.

There is light at the end of the tunnel (for my taste), and I would not be surprised if within a few years' time, the possession of an 7.1 surround extravaganza will be looked down upon as a somewhat lower-class habit, and it will be en vogue all over again to have solid state 2-channel hi-fi stereo.
Thank you.
CLF
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 12:58:15 PM by Carl LaFong » Logged
Evenreven
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 05:00:30 AM »

Good post. Personally, I like the pastime of cultural pessimism too, but I'm still trying to quit. I imagine that for educated people, cultural pessimism is like drugs. Tempting, but ultimately not good for you.

For that reason, I disagree on some points.

One thing is, we honestly don't know if your "youngsters" are listening to entire albums or hit songs. I have been walking home, drunk and in shabby clothes, listening to Daniel Barenboim playing Beethoven's 32nd piano sonata on my then-fancy minidisc player. Many times. Who knows what people are listening to on their portables?

(I saw a very funny picture in the newspaper the other day. A thirteen-year old boy in over-sized trousers and generally bad-looking hip hop gear was exchanging two books he got for christmas. He had two mystery novels for teenagers, and got biographies on Sartre and Einstein instead. Priceless. His family probably judged by his clothes what he liked to read.)

Carl LaFong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 07:39:48 AM »

Nice one Evenreven -
I imagine you stumbling home and pumping Barenboim's Beethoven into your drunken auditory brain cells... you could have done worse. I have that complete Barenboim box set and it's one of the finest interpretations.
Yes, I have many prejudices, and I am not alone in that.
CLF
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 07:43:56 AM »

regarding cultural pessimism, and what young people are listening to, I can tell you that my teen children listen to a variety of good music on cd, mp3, iPOD, mini stereo systems, and on my big old (underscore old) component system.  My youngest won't leave my vinyl alone.  

What are my kids listening to?

Tegan and Sara, Ani DeFranco, Natalie Merchant, Elephant 6 especially Dressie Bessie, Nick Drake, The SMiths, elliot smith,  the Beatles, and yes, the BeachBoys and Wondermints.  There are some really neat kids out there listening to some really cool music.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 07:47:59 AM »

On the other side, there are millions of kids out there listening to 50cent.  Cry

By the way, "50cent" is the dumpest, stupiest, most terrible artist-name I´ve ever heard!

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 07:59:52 AM »

it is pronounced "fitty cen"
Evenreven
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 08:12:17 AM »

On the other side, there are millions of kids out there listening to 50cent.  Cry
Hey! Don was trying to cheer you up. There will always be bad music, and dull people listening to it. Nothing new. The world keeps on turning, the good music keeps on coming, the kids keep on listening to the good stuff. Don'lefittycenbrinyadown.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 08:15:07 AM »

Ok, ok. The funny thing is that this "Narnia-Rap" contains more talent and rap-skills than 50 will ever have.

dogbreath
Smiley Smile Associate

"Foda deal with it!"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 08:24:23 AM »

One of my biggest pleasures in the last couple of years has been getting my component system running and upgraded a little. I have a NAD amp and separate CD player, JM Labs speakers, and a thirty-year-old zero-frills Panasonic belt-drive deck, which I plan to upgrade when I get the opportunity. I just love hi-fi separates as stuff. It's beautiful, solid, and a pleasure to own, look at, use, and listen to. Like comparing a godd SLR camera to a disposable. A photograph is a photograph, sound is sound, and it's all a matter of degree. My daughter asked me what the "big CDs" were. My kids listen to music I like and don't like - but not on my system. They love their MP3 players.

I also love vinyl as stuff. I will never love CDs in the same way - to me, no matter how good the sound, a CD will always be a copy of the music, but a vinyl album is the music.

AUTOCLAVING TURNS THIS LINE BROWN
Carl LaFong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 10:09:27 AM »

One of my biggest pleasures in the last couple of years has been getting my component system running and upgraded a little. I have a NAD amp and separate CD player, JM Labs speakers, and a thirty-year-old zero-frills Panasonic belt-drive deck, which I plan to upgrade when I get the opportunity. I just love hi-fi separates as stuff. It's beautiful, solid, and a pleasure to own, look at, use, and listen to. Like comparing a godd SLR camera to a disposable. A photograph is a photograph, sound is sound, and it's all a matter of degree. My daughter asked me what the "big CDs" were. My kids listen to music I like and don't like - but not on my system. They love their MP3 players.

I also love vinyl as stuff. I will never love CDs in the same way - to me, no matter how good the sound, a CD will always be a copy of the music, but a vinyl album is the music.

I agree with the picture painted here. Most enticing. I have a NAD amp, tuner, am looking for a NAD dedicated CD player, and a decent record deck, preferably a Thorens or Dual. Speakers: superb Infinity Ref 1i bookshelf units, to be put on dedicated stands. With regard to the speakers: I immediately fell in love with the open, inviting American sound here, as compared to the more woozy British or German type of impressions.
Also, I got hold of an Olympus analogue compact camera (for snapshots) and a Minolta X700 SLR with a Minolta 35-70 lens and a Sigma 70-210 one, to round it off. Magnificent stuff, and no digital camera below, say, 8 to 10 megapixels can come close, although most folks want to believe you otherwise.
CLF
dogbreath
Smiley Smile Associate

"Foda deal with it!"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2006, 01:54:27 AM »

"I immediately fell in love with the open, inviting American sound here, as compared to the more woozy British or German type of impressions. "

Hah!!! I beg to differ, sir, and challenge you to a duel (Dual?). Nobody round here calls European speakers "woozy" without getting a wet halibut in the kisser!! Take THAT! And THAT and THAT and THAT!!!

Let that be a lesson to you ...

PS My own (French!) speakers offer up a gloriously full, rich tapestry of sound; sparkling, crystalline highs, cavernously solid and clear bottom end, and a mid-range that stretches from here to Uranus and back.

Carl LaFong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2006, 08:54:00 AM »

"I immediately fell in love with the open, inviting American sound here, as compared to the more woozy British or German type of impressions. "

Hah!!! I beg to differ, sir, and challenge you to a duel (Dual?). Nobody round here calls European speakers "woozy" without getting a wet halibut in the kisser!! Take THAT! And THAT and THAT and THAT!!!

Let that be a lesson to you ...

PS My own (French!) speakers offer up a gloriously full, rich tapestry of sound; sparkling, crystalline highs, cavernously solid and clear bottom end, and a mid-range that stretches from here to Uranus and back.

Wait a minute, you canine exhaler...
I called British and German speakers woozy. Of course the French loudspeakers are state of the art, superbly clear, wonderfully definitive, excruciatingly precise, all-revealing, distortion-free, maddeningly addictive, supercalifragilisticexpialidociously built... er... what was I going to say again?  Huh
dogbreath
Smiley Smile Associate

"Foda deal with it!"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2006, 08:58:55 AM »

Well ... that's okay then.

We haven't talked headphones, have we? I have Sennheiser HD212 Pros, which are the best I ever heard. Even 'phones costing eight times as much weren't as responsive when I tested them in the hi-fi shop.

Carl LaFong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 10:54:31 AM »

Well ... that's okay then.

We haven't talked headphones, have we? I have Sennheiser HD212 Pros, which are the best I ever heard. Even 'phones costing eight times as much weren't as responsive when I tested them in the hi-fi shop.

I have Sennheisers myself....  Grin
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx