gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:57:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jan and Dean and Brian  (Read 2198 times)
Tab Lloyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2015, 11:11:19 PM »

I live in a parallel universe. Parallel to what? Parallel to Hank Briarstem’s universe, where all objects are back lit with a fuzzy gauze like light and memories float loosely like bubbles in my beer. You know the place. Easy to find, hard to leave. In this universe Brian Wilson, following the awesome success of Surf City, beat the bejesus out of Murry and became ‘Brian’ of Jan and Dean and Brian fame. Al became a semi-successful South Bay orthodontist, opening a series of Famous Braces outlets in a number of non-descript South Bay strip-malls.  Mike pumped gas and hung out at the hamburger stand and can still be seen on weekends cruising Manhatttan Beach in a 1957 TBird with license plates: Big Daddy.  Dennis became the dark surfer dude and party animal, and Carl had a string of hits produced by brother Brian. This is not fiction. Jan, Dean and Brian became the biggest pop group of all time and single-handedly prevented the British Invasion from departing their Liverpool port. (John and Paul ended up as singing waiters at a Brighton resort owned by Brian Epstein. There is no Yoko in this universe). Brian became the ‘straight’ man for Jan and Dean’s on stage antics, often looking a bit sheephish as they skateboarded endlessly around him, inducing vertigo and a shaky falsetto. I guess you had to be there. Or maybe not. My point: Brian would have succeeded without the Beachboys.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 12:04:58 AM »

I live in a parallel universe. Parallel to what? Parallel to Hank Briarstem’s universe, where all objects are back lit with a fuzzy gauze like light and memories float loosely like bubbles in my beer. You know the place. Easy to find, hard to leave. In this universe Brian Wilson, following the awesome success of Surf City, beat the bejesus out of Murry and became ‘Brian’ of Jan and Dean and Brian fame. Al became a semi-successful South Bay orthodontist, opening a series of Famous Braces outlets in a number of non-descript South Bay strip-malls.  Mike pumped gas and hung out at the hamburger stand and can still be seen on weekends cruising Manhatttan Beach in a 1957 TBird with license plates: Big Daddy.  Dennis became the dark surfer dude and party animal, and Carl had a string of hits produced by brother Brian. This is not fiction. Jan, Dean and Brian became the biggest pop group of all time and single-handedly prevented the British Invasion from departing their Liverpool port. (John and Paul ended up as singing waiters at a Brighton resort owned by Brian Epstein. There is no Yoko in this universe). Brian became the ‘straight’ man for Jan and Dean’s on stage antics, often looking a bit sheephish as they skateboarded endlessly around him, inducing vertigo and a shaky falsetto. I guess you had to be there. Or maybe not. My point: Brian would have succeeded without the Beachboys.

Always bugs me when people spell Beach Boys as Beachboys.
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 02:28:59 AM »

Indeed we were at the same show, Tab, when Jimi Hendrix shouted "you'll never hear surf music again," and Jan Berry gave him a noogie, while the audience cried out for one more chorus of "Don't Worry Baby," the success of which caused Phil Spector to be laughed from the industry as "a has-been who couldn't stay in touch with today's sounds."

My second wife Alicia, if that was her name, fathered Dennis Wilson's child, prompting Brian to  pop the question a second time to Marilyn Rovell Wilson Rovell who of course said yes. And Brian and Marilyn Rovell Wilson Rovell Wilson and Spring had a major hit with "Do It Again," to which Mike Love as the only legitimate gas jockey in their circle added the lyrics "it's automatic when he cleans the windshield the girls go wild just to get their oil filled."

Shocking for the time.

And the hits just keep on coming. And the surf just keeps on pounding. The cars are fast. The women wear their hair long. The fries are salty and hot.

And Carl Wilson tops the chart with the song his brother produced for him, "God Only Knows."

Everything would be cool if I could find my darn bifocals. Anyone seen them?
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 12:57:28 PM »

I need a time machine so I can get into this parallel universe.

How did Brian manage to convince Capitol to let him go so he could switch to Liberty?

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 05:01:03 PM »

I need a time machine so I can re-order the world so the births of Hank Briarstem and Tab Lloyd don't take place until 2076
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 05:08:53 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 06:29:59 PM »

Do I owe you money, perchance?
Tab Lloyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 07:56:55 AM »

You were never one to borrow. In fact, how many times have I heard you say: "the next rounds on me?" Generous to a fault. But let's stay on topic. I had forgotten that was you at the Jimi Hendrix concert (Santa Clara fairground 1969, if memory serves me correctly). You were the guy in the aloha shirt and panama hat nimbly dancing with your gf on folding chairs for the entire concert right in front of me....yes, I remember Mike Love shouting at you two to sit the f**k down and spilling coke all over her blouse.
Time for badminton.

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 11:34:55 AM »

And the surf just keeps on pounding.

And so does Dennis.  Evil
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 07:47:09 AM »

You were never one to borrow. In fact, how many times have I heard you say: "the next rounds on me?" Generous to a fault. But let's stay on topic. I had forgotten that was you at the Jimi Hendrix concert (Santa Clara fairground 1969, if memory serves me correctly). You were the guy in the aloha shirt and panama hat nimbly dancing with your gf on folding chairs for the entire concert right in front of me....yes, I remember Mike Love shouting at you two to sit the f**k down and spilling coke all over her blouse.
Time for badminton.

If I recall correctly, my girlfriend at the time, one Beatrice, was a minor player in the destruction of my second marriage, though it might have been my third - or perhaps Beatrice was my second wife. How did I introduce her to you?

Such sparkling, giddy times! We were all certain that the slump would be short-lived and a single release of "Fire" would change everything. Of course we hadn't counted on the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, but so it goes.

I remember the cow prod you used to carry to concerts and how you'd playfully goose me with it when I blocked your view. Al Jardine found it hysterical until I leapt 18 feet and wound up at his feet, whimpering from the pain.

Magnificent times! I wonder whatever happened to Raoul? You must have stayed in touch. I believe I had heard he was living near Baltimore with Beatrice.

Is there a concession stand anywhere near here?
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 07:50:41 AM »

I need a time machine so I can get into this parallel universe.

How did Brian manage to convince Capitol to let him go so he could switch to Liberty?

Brian was quite clever; always underestimated. He convinced the suits at Capitol he merely wanted to buy an insurance policy from Liberty Mutual. Papers were signed. Capitol was out-smarted. The bad feelings were chronicled in "Don't Back Down."
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx