gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:25:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Studio versions of songs within "Cassius Love vs Sonny Wilson"  (Read 1377 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2015, 12:59:35 PM »

Do full, fuller, or alternate take versions of the studio song tidbits played in CLVSW exist? Some of them are super cool.

It would seem that the band was easily able to just pull off live versions of those songs (recorded in the studio) for this track, which makes me also think that those songs were all in the band's live setlist at the time. Was Farmer's Daughter played live at this time? It would seem surprising if the band just played the song (very competently, as they indeed did) off the cuff in the studio, if it wasn't already a song they could pull out of their sleeves at any given moment - which again, leads me to think it was a song in their regular or semi-regular arsenal of live songs at the time... Thoughts?
SBonilla
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 01:19:11 PM »

Do full, fuller, or alternate take versions of the studio song tidbits played in CLVSW exist? Some of them are super cool.

It would seem that the band was easily able to just pull off live versions of those songs (recorded in the studio) for this track, which makes me also think that those songs were all in the band's live setlist at the time. Was Farmer's Daughter played live at this time? It would seem surprising if the band just played the song (very competently, as they indeed did) off the cuff in the studio, if it wasn't already a song they could pull out of their sleeves at any given moment - which again, leads me to think it was a song in their regular or semi-regular arsenal of live songs at the time... Thoughts?

Just went back to that track. What I hear are portions of the instrumental tracks of the released versions (maybe there is an alternate or two in there, idk) . I also hear what could be a piano chord overdub with a very quick fade mixed in at the very tail of a couple of those snippets. That is my quick and sloppy assessment.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 01:30:55 PM »

Just went back to that track. What I hear are portions of the instrumental tracks of the released versions (maybe there is an alternate or two in there, idk) . I also hear what could be a piano chord overdub with a very quick fade mixed in at the very tail of a couple of those snippets. That is my quick and sloppy assessment.

No way, those are newly – recorded versions that were done for that track. Just listen closely to the tempo, at all of them are somewhat faster compared to the studio versions. And the vocals aren't quite as on point. But I agree, they are pretty close.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 02:46:41 PM »

Wonder if those are actual soundchecks or rehearsals; but then again, when on earth would they ever have done "Farmer's Daughter"Huh

And I always did find it odd that instead of F# the final chord of the "In My Room" intro ended up being the A chord to lead into "Surfer Girl"...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 07:52:11 AM »

These were definitely studio recreations - and what I've always found interesting (since first analyzing them in-depth back in 1990) is that they are performed with their then-current studio lineup, rather than stage lineup, despite the fact that these were supposed to be "rehearsals for an upcoming show" - in other words, Brian is playing piano not bass, and Al is playing bass not guitar.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 08:10:38 AM »

The vocals for Surfin' Safari sound very different. Brian is taking the high end which he didn't do on the original.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx