gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:19:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Rock 'n Roll Tribute Album?  (Read 11498 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 04:04:29 PM »

Maybe Brian will actually get Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Paul McCartney and Barry Gibb to duet on their own songs on this Brian rock covers album. If he must do duets, this idea is much better than any other duets album I can think of!

Brian doesn't 'do' duets.  It'll be way better than one of those poop-infested duet releases.  There are no duets on NPP.  Why would there be on the next album?  Even the song 'Delirious Love' with Neil Diamond wasn't a duet.  Neil and that Streisand woman singin' 'You Don't Bring Me Flowers'?  Now THAT was a duet.  Oh and it'll be Rock 'n' Roll not Rock.

Brian'll do the songs he chooses to include  Brian Wilson style.  Not that 15 Bigguns 'warm-up' before actually recording the album failure which got released when the whole 'plan' fell apart.  And YES I hope he includes some of his former mates as guest vocalists on *A* song each...And maybe all of them together on ONE tune.  Brian's been talking about this Rock 'n' Roll album for some 10 years now.  He wants to get 'er done.  The decks are now clear.  So let 'er rip Brian.

[meanwhile ... the clock is ticking]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 05:25:59 PM »

If Brian is to be the sole lead vocalist on 12-14 rock and roll songs, it is not a good idea. Brian Wilson is not a good rock and roll singer. But, I can think of a couple of other guys who ARE good rock and roll singers - Mike Love, Al Jardine, and Blondie Chaplin. How about David Marks on guitar? How about Ricky Fataar on drums?

The Beach Boys do have management, right? Well, how about calling a meeting and discussing a Beach Boys' rock and roll album. I would think that Capitol Records would be interested in such a project. Yeah, yeah, I know - been there, done that. But that was 40 years ago, and it would be an understatement to say that the finished product (15 Big Ones) was a train wreck, for multiple reasons. And, yeah, yeah, I know that The Beach Boys consistently show that they haven't learned anything in 55 years. Still, I'd be interested in hearing what that combination/lineup could come up with. I know, not a chance in hell, but still I dream of it.

Lead Vocals:

Mike - 5
Brian - 4
Al - 3
Blondie - 2
Bruce - 1 (a ballad)

According to your list, I see five reasons not to buy it already.  Thud

I see 6...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 05:27:35 PM »

Went to Philadelphia, they were on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool Guy

That's what I heard!

Needs to be a live album from this tour, preferably not mixed by Joe Thomas (hint: I work cheap....)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 05:54:30 PM »

A live album is great idea, I hope my singing on "row, row, row your boat" makes it on there.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 06:09:37 PM »

If Brian is to be the sole lead vocalist on 12-14 rock and roll songs, it is not a good idea. Brian Wilson is not a good rock and roll singer. But, I can think of a couple of other guys who ARE good rock and roll singers - Mike Love, Al Jardine, and Blondie Chaplin. How about David Marks on guitar? How about Ricky Fataar on drums?

The Beach Boys do have management, right? Well, how about calling a meeting and discussing a Beach Boys' rock and roll album. I would think that Capitol Records would be interested in such a project. Yeah, yeah, I know - been there, done that. But that was 40 years ago, and it would be an understatement to say that the finished product (15 Big Ones) was a train wreck, for multiple reasons. And, yeah, yeah, I know that The Beach Boys consistently show that they haven't learned anything in 55 years. Still, I'd be interested in hearing what that combination/lineup could come up with. I know, not a chance in hell, but still I dream of it.

Lead Vocals:

Mike - 5
Brian - 4
Al - 3
Blondie - 2
Bruce - 1 (a ballad)

According to your list, I see five reasons not to buy it already.  Thud

I see 6...

I was never good with math.  Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 11:05:13 PM »

That's what I heard!

Needs to be a live album from this tour, preferably not mixed by Joe Thomas (hint: I work cheap....)
Sure, we need as many live albums as possible. Can never have too many versions of Help Me Rhonda, Good Vibrations and Surfer Girl.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 12:48:59 AM »

That's what I heard!

Sure, we need as many live albums as possible. Can never have too many versions of Help Me Rhonda, Good Vibrations and Surfer Girl.

I dunno...considering there's a possibility that this may be Brian's last tour ( although  I don't believe it for a second ) , it might be a good idea to document it. Besides, there are plenty of songs that HAVEN'T had a live release.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 12:56:48 AM »

He started a joke
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 01:31:33 AM »

Oh, I know. Just wanted to make clear why I felt that way. Hell, just a soundboard recording would be ace. Absolutely no kind of trickery or post production  would be needed.

KDS
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 05:49:27 AM »

In the recent past, some artists (The Who, John Fogerty to name a few) have made soundboard live recordings for each show during a tour available for a small fee. 

I'd love to see Brian do something similar. 

With the recent release of the Soundstage DVD, I'd be surprised to see a live release from this tour. 
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2015, 09:40:51 AM »

Lead Vocals:

Mike - 5
Brian - 4
Al - 3
Blondie - 2
Bruce - 1 (a ballad)

Best idea I've seen here in a long while and one that I could see the various estranged members being lured by. Would still love an album of new (Brian) material performed by the Beach Boys with the simple, laid back production that Al's Postcards had, but I'll take whatever's offered. One rule: no covers of Beach Boys' own tracks. One other rule: they tour to promote it.

As to the split of lead vocal duties, I don't mind long as they're all (very) evident in any harmonies.

Still find it hard to fathom why some "fans" here wouldn't buy the idea of another reunion, unlikely as it seems.

“We live in divisive times.”
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2015, 02:28:52 PM »

Maybe Brian will actually get Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Paul McCartney and Barry Gibb to duet on their own songs on this Brian rock covers album. If he must do duets, this idea is much better than any other duets album I can think of!

Brian doesn't 'do' duets.  It'll be way better than one of those poop-infested duet releases.  There are no duets on NPP.  Why would there be on the next album?  Even the song 'Delirious Love' with Neil Diamond wasn't a duet.  Neil and that Streisand woman singin' 'You Don't Bring Me Flowers'?  Now THAT was a duet.  Oh and it'll be Rock 'n' Roll not Rock.

Brian'll do the songs he chooses to include  Brian Wilson style.  Not that 15 Bigguns 'warm-up' before actually recording the album failure which got released when the whole 'plan' fell apart.  And YES I hope he includes some of his former mates as guest vocalists on *A* song each...And maybe all of them together on ONE tune.  Brian's been talking about this Rock 'n' Roll album for some 10 years now.  He wants to get 'er done.  The decks are now clear.  So let 'er rip Brian.

[meanwhile ... the clock is ticking]
Lets put our hearts together and lets call the whole thing off, both duets.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2015, 02:54:33 PM »

Lead Vocals:

Mike - 5
Brian - 4
Al - 3
Blondie - 2
Bruce - 1 (a ballad)

I don't want a covers album no matter who is singing.  I have a strong preference for new material.  Pretty sure nobody cares what I want, but hey, now it's out there on the www.

EoL

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2015, 01:39:34 PM »

I may be in the minority... but I love, absolutely love Brian's cover albums.  The Disney album may actually be my favorite album of his.  I would love to hear him do a cover album of classic Rock songs.

Also, i'll just add, I really loved Paul McCartney's "Run Devil Run" which was the same thing, and was excellent. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2015, 01:44:23 PM »

He started a joke

I see what you did there
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2015, 03:00:41 PM »

I may be in the minority... but I love, absolutely love Brian's cover albums.  The Disney album may actually be my favorite album of his.  I would love to hear him do a cover album of classic Rock songs.

Also, i'll just add, I really loved Paul McCartney's "Run Devil Run" which was the same thing, and was excellent. 

Agree re. The Disney album; have returned to it quite a bit recently and some of those songs really do rock. There's the start of a rock n roll album right there…

“We live in divisive times.”
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2015, 11:04:01 PM »

My only complaint with his songs usually is that I think the lyrics are weak.  I have no idea literally, what he's talking about on almost all of No Pier Pressure.  Cover songs eliminate that problem for me. 

I'll enjoy whatever he does though, if he writes all new Rock songs that will be fine too. 
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2015, 02:42:49 PM »

I like the lyrics to Whatever Happened

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2015, 02:48:39 PM »

My only complaint with his songs usually is that I think the lyrics are weak.  I have no idea literally, what he's talking about on almost all of No Pier Pressure.  Cover songs eliminate that problem for me. 

I agree (see also my review of the album). For example: "Tell me why" is such a monster of a song (in the best possible way) and has some really great moments in the lyrics (exactly: the beginning and the chorus). But somehow the rest sounds just incoherent. Could've been Brian's greatest solo song ever imo. What a song....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2015, 11:41:51 PM »

I like the lyrics to Whatever Happened

That's a highpoint lyrically for sure... but it's still a little shaky.  Just my opinion. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2015, 11:43:27 PM »

I agree (see also my review of the album). For example: "Tell me why" is such a monster of a song (in the best possible way) and has some really great moments in the lyrics (exactly: the beginning and the chorus). But somehow the rest sounds just incoherent. Could've been Brian's greatest solo song ever imo. What a song....

Yeah.... this may not be the best place to go over it, but I'm just stunned by how bad the lyrics are on the album (mostly, not all songs).  I'll go find your review Smiley
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2015, 10:55:41 AM »

Joe Thomas loves making reference to wine in his lyrics.  Probably.

"Summer wine, my favourite time, the night that I met you."

"We were singing a new song...sippin' on a new wine."

"From the consequence of the wine...another place in time."

Any others?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
mrski
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2015, 12:17:06 PM »

Brian should do a medley of "Fanny Mae" and "Help Me Rhonda" with Dick Dale...
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »

Lead Vocals:

Mike - 5
Brian - 4
Al - 3
Blondie - 2
Bruce - 1 (a ballad)

I don't want a covers album no matter who is singing.  I have a strong preference for new material.  Pretty sure nobody cares what I want, but hey, now it's out there on the www.

EoL

last time Brian produced a GOOD album of "new material" was the spring of '77- Love you.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2015, 02:43:26 PM »

If you think that, why haven't you told us?

That's definitely worth a thread or...something!

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx