gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:26:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Rock 'n Roll Tribute Album?  (Read 11499 times)
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 30, 2015, 08:44:41 PM »

What do you want to do next?

I want to do a tribute album to the rock ’n’ roll greats, like Berry, Little Richard, Paul McCartney and Barry Gibb—cover versions of their songs. We’re going to do it in about three or four months. By that time I’ll have all the guest artists—12-14— I want or need. It’s going to be a rough recording trip, but I think I can do it.

http://vegasseven.com/2015/06/30/seven-questions-brian-wilson/

(1) Which of those four names doesn't belong?

(2) So the idea would be to have one guest artist per track. If he's really planning this, he must have especially enjoyed working with the guests on NPP.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:49:37 PM by Larry Franz » Logged

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:19:16 PM »

Odd. We'll have to see if this is actually a plan or just one of Brian's peculiar brainwaves -- see Pleasure Island.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:23:45 PM »

Has he blown off the UK for this maybe? Shocked
BrianAlDaveFan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 09:35:35 PM »

Maybe Brian will actually get Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Paul McCartney and Barry Gibb to duet on their own songs on this Brian rock covers album. If he must do duets, this idea is much better than any other duets album I can think of!
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:51:34 PM »

Odd. We'll have to see if this is actually a plan or just one of Brian's peculiar brainwaves -- see Pleasure Island.

Right. I've always thought this was just an easy way for him to give an answer to "what are you going to do next?". But he may surprise us again.

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 11:07:42 PM »

This was reported a few months ago, wasn't it? At least I thought it was... First I'm hearing of the guest artists, though.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 11:49:28 PM »

This is my favorite part:

Q) When you were performing with the Beach Boys and coming to Vegas in the ’60s, was there anything in particular that struck you about the city?

A) I liked the bathtubs in Caesars Palace.

Me personally, Caesars has my favorite restrooms on the Strip. They even play really nice music in there.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 12:09:16 AM »

I love Brian doing covers but only if they're quirky or really deep, like Chapel of Love or Just Once in My Life on 15 Big Ones. Let's see...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 12:20:45 AM »

I thin it's the choice of artists to cover and the guests concept that are new ...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 12:44:15 AM »

For what it's worth,  last night I had a dream that Brian recorded Black Water by the Doobie Brothers.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 03:31:12 AM »

I want Brian cover Smoke on the Water.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 05:18:11 AM »

This seems like a bad idea.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 06:12:09 AM »

Not crazy about the guest artist format again. I'd say leave out the fancy stuff this time. Just sing some good old sh*t-kicking rock'n'roll, Brian. Lots of slap bass and echo. Grin 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 06:17:55 AM »

I had reservations about Brian's band doing a rock and roll album, but after seeing them in person Monday night in Philly, I'm now 100% confident they can pull it off.

But, they need to include a bonus DVD of the recording sessions showing Nelson Bragg running around with a cowbell and hitting symbols with sleigh bells. 

Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 08:50:34 AM »

I'm hoping the 12 to 14 guests was Brian being funny. Taken that way, it's actually a pretty good joke.

PS -- In fact, in the light of day, I'm guessing it was a joke.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:51:29 AM by Larry Franz » Logged

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 09:43:48 AM »

This seems like a bad idea.

I'd say at the very least it doesn't sound like a particularly exciting idea. Also, considering the guests/duets stuff, a bit "Stars & Stripes-y".

Then again, I absolutely loved Brian's rendition of "I'm Into Something Good" from a couple of years ago, so let's wait and see.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 10:31:41 AM »

Then again, I absolutely loved Brian's rendition of "I'm Into Something Good" from a couple of years ago, so let's wait and see.

If you can believe it, that's seven years ago now.

But yes, it was excellent.

Anyway, I very much doubt that plans for an all-star oldies album exist anywhere other than Brian's mind.

My bet is that someone gives him a deal to make a Pet Sounds pt. 2 style record. After L&M, that's the most obvious direction to go. A big, recorded live in the studio project. Possibly with a T Bone Burnett or Don Was or Rick Rubin type helping out.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 10:43:45 AM »

If Brian is to be the sole lead vocalist on 12-14 rock and roll songs, it is not a good idea. Brian Wilson is not a good rock and roll singer. But, I can think of a couple of other guys who ARE good rock and roll singers - Mike Love, Al Jardine, and Blondie Chaplin. How about David Marks on guitar? How about Ricky Fataar on drums?

The Beach Boys do have management, right? Well, how about calling a meeting and discussing a Beach Boys' rock and roll album. I would think that Capitol Records would be interested in such a project. Yeah, yeah, I know - been there, done that. But that was 40 years ago, and it would be an understatement to say that the finished product (15 Big Ones) was a train wreck, for multiple reasons. And, yeah, yeah, I know that The Beach Boys consistently show that they haven't learned anything in 55 years. Still, I'd be interested in hearing what that combination/lineup could come up with. I know, not a chance in hell, but still I dream of it.

Lead Vocals:

Mike - 5
Brian - 4
Al - 3
Blondie - 2
Bruce - 1 (a ballad)

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 11:13:56 AM »

If Brian is to be the sole lead vocalist on 12-14 rock and roll songs, it is not a good idea. Brian Wilson is not a good rock and roll singer. But, I can think of a couple of other guys who ARE good rock and roll singers - Mike Love, Al Jardine, and Blondie Chaplin. How about David Marks on guitar? How about Ricky Fataar on drums?

The Beach Boys do have management, right? Well, how about calling a meeting and discussing a Beach Boys' rock and roll album. I would think that Capitol Records would be interested in such a project. Yeah, yeah, I know - been there, done that. But that was 40 years ago, and it would be an understatement to say that the finished product (15 Big Ones) was a train wreck, for multiple reasons. And, yeah, yeah, I know that The Beach Boys consistently show that they haven't learned anything in 55 years. Still, I'd be interested in hearing what that combination/lineup could come up with. I know, not a chance in hell, but still I dream of it.

Lead Vocals:

Mike - 5
Brian - 4
Al - 3
Blondie - 2
Bruce - 1 (a ballad)

Good post. That was the initial idea behind the album reunion (an album of cover versions). We know Brian has a killer version of Honeycomb, and he had some cover versions recorded after TLOS. Those who heard them say they're cool and quirky. And as much as I'd kill to hear a Mike Love vocal on a newly-recorded rocker, by the BBs, I think Brian can rock pretty decently as per Goin' Home.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 11:37:30 AM »

Of course the former BBs that have been playing with BW will be part of that album project, it's obvious! How could you NOT get Blondie in after he's been tearing up "Wild Honey" like that? How can you tell Al to stay home and feed the goats when he can still sing like that? I sure hope Ricky Fataar is available, too.

Mike Love can stay in Tahoe and work on his epic rerecordings tho, I'm sure they'll be defended to the death by those hissin' at Honeycomb.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:43:48 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 03:33:11 PM »

Lead Vocals:

Mike - 5
Brian - 4
Al - 3
Blondie - 2
Bruce - 1 (a ballad)

According to your list, I see five reasons not to buy it already.  Thud

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 03:35:27 PM »

Brian's certainly has a great rock voice on this current tour...

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 03:37:09 PM »

Agreed OSD and Billy, give me leads from BW and his band after seeing them live recently. Mike and Bruce cannot sing compared to the arsenal of the BW band's voices.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 03:42:13 PM »

Did you have the fortune to going to any of the current shows, SB? Purely phenomenal.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 03:45:13 PM »

Went to Philadelphia, they were on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx