gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680845 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 09:23:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Article about Darian Sahanaja on Rolling Stone website  (Read 2108 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2015, 07:38:16 AM »

He talks about working with Paul Dano on Love & Mercy.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/meet-brian-wilsons-secret-weapon-darian-sahanaja-20150630

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 08:01:08 AM »

Good find.  Paul Dano really knocked this out of the park.  I was a fan of his work before this movie but he just sank into this role.  I never feel like I'm watching Paul Dano in the movie.  I feel like I'm eavesdropping on Brian's life in 1965-1968.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 08:30:25 AM »

Great read, thanks for the link!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 08:32:19 AM »

Apparently Rolling Stone fired its proofreaders, and the captioner thinks Brian did Smile "unplugged" at some point.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 08:46:28 AM »

Gotta love Darian. But there's no way Brian couldn't rembember This Whole World was his song.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:23:06 AM »

Not that this is definitive proof, but when I talked with Darian at length 15 years ago he told me the exact same thing. He also told me about getting beat up by some neighborhood boys for liking the Beach Boys. You could tell that was still a painful memory. I don't doubt for one minute that everything he said was true.

You should also take into account that that was 20+ years after Brian wrote and recorded This Whole World, and he had been through a helluva lot during thise years. He probably had not even heard the song since he recorded it, as I believe he's stated before that he doesn't have the habit of sitting around listening to his own music.

Great article. Thanks for posting the link!
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 10:35:31 AM »

Maybe more than even Brian's forthcoming autobiography, I hope I'm around to read Darian's book in ten years or so. He's gotta have some amazing stories to tell.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 10:36:02 AM »

I have no doubt that Brian acted that way and said those things to Darian. He's an odd guy.

However, the tribute in question was at the end of 1994 (http://variety.com/1994/legit/reviews/tribute-to-brian-wilson-1200439383/)

According to AGD's site, Brian had recorded a version of This Whole World for IFWMFTT just the year before (http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs93.html).

Also, Darian isn't the band's musical director these days.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 11:51:34 AM »

Not that this is definitive proof, but when I talked with Darian at length 15 years ago he told me the exact same thing. He also told me about getting beat up by some neighborhood boys for liking the Beach Boys. You could tell that was still a painful memory. I don't doubt for one minute that everything he said was true.

You should also take into account that that was 20+ years after Brian wrote and recorded This Whole World, and he had been through a helluva lot during thise years. He probably had not even heard the song since he recorded it, as I believe he's stated before that he doesn't have the habit of sitting around listening to his own music.

Great article. Thanks for posting the link!

But he recorded This Whole World for the Don Was docummentary.

Edit: oops, Wirestone beat me to it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:52:30 AM by Autotune » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 12:03:05 PM »

Darian Sahanaja is flat out, one of the most talented and sweetest guys around. Bob Hanes could never say enough about him and and Probyn Gregory. Darian and Probyn,  are my heroes! He and Probyn are absolutely the guys who need to be carrying on this musical legacy. Just knowing those guys has been a joy!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 12:18:28 PM »

I have no doubt that Brian acted that way and said those things to Darian. He's an odd guy.

However, the tribute in question was at the end of 1994 (http://variety.com/1994/legit/reviews/tribute-to-brian-wilson-1200439383/)

According to AGD's site, Brian had recorded a version of This Whole World for IFWMFTT just the year before (http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs93.html).

Also, Darian isn't the band's musical director these days.
Musical Secretary, I believe is how Paul introduced him last night. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,