gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:18:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was Brian listening to in 1968-73?  (Read 11420 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 05:12:37 AM »

In that Rolling Stone video which features Brian playing a snippet of "Long promised road" he also plays "The wonder of you". Now, that is of course an old song that Brian might've remembered in Ray Peterson's version. But since he was also asked in that video about his meeting with Elvis and Elvis had a big hit with the song in 1970 I could imagine that it was Presley's version that Brian had in mind. It's just a guess though.

On his website Brian mentioned that he loved Marvin Gaye's "What's going on" a couple of years ago. Or maybe it was in some interview.

IIRC, What's Going On was also once mentioned by Mike Love as his (Mike's) favorite album by anyone.
Worzel Gummidge
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 10:19:21 AM »

Good day to you all! I found this thread interesting and wanted to chime in for my first post. I remembered reading that Brian enjoyed the music of Queen, so I dug up this interview where he explains that he was quite fond of ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ and also The Door’s ‘Light My Fire’, while at the same time claiming that both records ‘scared’ him. An interesting read, although I know I might have missed the mark on the timeline by a little..
http://thequietus.com/articles/20279-interview-brian-wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 11:40:59 AM »

Welcome to the board!

I can definitely see him liking the Doors (esp. the organ) but I can't picture him listening to Queen for some reason!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KDS
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 05:42:44 AM »

He once listed Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" as a personal favorite album.  So I would imagine some of those years in bed (1972-1975) were spent listening to that quite a bit.

Is there a source for this? I have never heard about this before and can only wonder what his reaction was to "On The Run"...

If I remember correctly, there was actually an audio clip on SoundCloud or something that was posted officially by Brian's people, and had him talking about great albums or something, and sure enough he mentioned Dark Side of the Moon. I must say I was pretty surprised when I heard this. But indeed, he did say it.

Apparently, something like one out of every three households has a copy of Dark Side of the Moon, so I wouldn't be shocked if Brian had one.  I could see Brian really liking Floyd musically, but not really being into Roger's lyrics. 
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 11:23:21 AM »

I remember him saying he really liked Ringo's solo stuff too.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2018, 11:33:55 AM »

NOt too surprising, as he was on Ringo's 1998 solo disc

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2018, 12:01:03 PM »

NOt too surprising, as he was on Ringo's 1998 solo disc

And also Ringo's 1992 album "Time Takes Time!"

As someone cheekily but correctly pointed out not too long ago in another thread, Brian is on more of Ringo's 1992 album that he is on the Beach Boys' 1992 album.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2018, 05:39:29 PM »

I had a copy of "John B. Sebastian" before Brian did somehow.  We listened, and he really loved it. I thought it was 1969, but apparently it was 1970.  Memory blurs.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2018, 08:06:21 AM »

I recall Brian waxing lyrical about The Lovin' Spoonful in an interview from 1967/68, so that figures.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 10:56:34 AM »

Coconut grove.... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2018, 10:58:49 AM »

Welcome to the board!

I can definitely see him liking the Doors (esp. the organ) but I can't picture him listening to Queen for some reason!

I'm not so sure Brian would be into the guitar bombast of Queen, but I could see him appreciating Roy Thomas Baker's production, as well as the layered vocals. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2018, 11:13:44 AM »

1980s BW would love the Synths though.... Smokin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 11:18:59 AM »

1980s BW would love the Synths though.... Smokin

That would've have to have been post 1976 Queen, as they proudly proclaimed "No Synthesizers" on their first five albums.   
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2018, 11:26:16 AM »

I was listening to live Queen from the 1970s and they really were a great rock unit!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5PXYAtgvc0
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:28:04 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

KDS
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2018, 11:37:30 AM »

I was listening to live Queen from the 1970s and they really were a great rock unit!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5PXYAtgvc0

Absolutely, and one of the great live bands of all time.  I only wish I'd have had a chance to see them when Freddie was still alive. 
Terry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 03:14:59 PM »

None of the following would surprise me...Early 70's Harry Nilsson, Todd Rundgren/Something Anything, Carole King/Tapestry, Later Turtles/Flo & Eddie, first few Three Dog Night albums...
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2018, 05:09:42 PM »

I think I read Brian loved Carpenters' music in early 1970's in his latest autobiography. He mentioned "Superstar" apparently.

Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2018, 05:39:46 PM »

He has said that he likes "Sad Song" by Lou Reed.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2018, 07:44:50 PM »

He has said that he likes "Sad Song" by Lou Reed.

He posted that when Lou Reed passed away.   A dark one  ("somebody else would have broken both of her arms") but tugs at the same heartstrings as much of Brian's work.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
willmansell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2018, 02:22:49 PM »

He once listed Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" as a personal favorite album.  So I would imagine some of those years in bed (1972-1975) were spent listening to that quite a bit.

Is there a source for this? I have never heard about this before and can only wonder what his reaction was to "On The Run"...

I first read it here: http://petsounds40.blogspot.com/2006/07/day-at-beach-boys-house.html

Must've been wild, those years in bed and sneaking out at night to go to random parties.  Waking up everyday with "Be My Baby" on a loop and then some Randy Newman and DSOTM sprinkled in. 

Listening

Wait so Brian wasn't a complete mess at this time? I had it in my head he was a recluse out of choice - I didn't imagine he would be out partying.

"Commerce and art man, that's a tough thing"
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2018, 02:39:49 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:10:41 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2018, 02:40:56 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:10:36 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2018, 08:20:52 AM »

I guess Brian found in "Bohemian Rhapsody" some echoes of "Good vibrations" i.e. different sections tied togheter, forcing the limits of the pop single. And both Brians (Wilson & May) are deep into harmony. So I can picture BW digging the unique work BM did building harmonies with his multitracked guitar.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2018, 09:37:06 AM »

"Switched On Bach"

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
willmansell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2018, 09:59:38 AM »

Didn't Switch On Bach heavily inspire 'Love You'?

"Commerce and art man, that's a tough thing"
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx